GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to enviromental issues in Germany, Daimler will convert its Fuel cell ready (read developed) A class over to Lithium battery power !

Looks like GM has started a trend with the Volt and the 2010.
... so they were right !
:D

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Due to enviromental issues in Germany, Daimler will convert its Fuel cell ready (read developed) A class over to Lithium battery power !

Looks like GM has started a trend with the Volt and the 2010.
... so they were right !
:D
Does that mean it still has a fuel cell, and they are adding a plug-in capability to it, like the fuel cell version of the Volt? or are they eliminating the fuel cell, and creating a BEV / REEV?

·
Registered
383 Posts
I have always loved the MBZ A class cars, even the ICE ones.

I drove one of the hydrogen fuel cell versions at AVS23 last year. The only thing that spoiled it for me was the constant drone of the onboard compressor, so the quiet of an EV will be most welcomed!

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I found the news story:

Link

Certainly, the fuel cell is a range extender, like any other, allowing any power plant to be dropped in its place. If Daimler wants to drop in a large battery pack, more power to them.

THAT is the power of such a flexible architecture.
I'll bet you "uncles" they mean in place of the fuel cell.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Here is another example of German attempt to electrify future cars:
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/firstdrives/225891/vw_golf_twin_drive.html

This VW model must be equipped with Li-ion cells, plug-in rechargeable, judging from the 113mpg (imperial) fuel economy. VW must be counting on the battery-only distance of 20 to 40 miles to achieve this high mileage.

When Honda and Toyota introduced ICE/electric parallel hybrids, Germans sneezed at them. Instead, they spent a lot of R&D money to clean up diesel exhaust. Now, they are trying to join the party.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
When Honda and Toyota introduced ICE/electric parallel hybrids, Germans sneezed at them. Instead, they spent a lot of R&D money to clean up diesel exhaust.
And rightfully so. There is a reason the Prius is not been a big seller in Europe. Their diesels get better mileage. No batteries, no complicated drive mechanism, just better mileage. If I lived in Europe, I wouldn't buy a Prius. they currently are trying to catch up to the new interest in EVs not so much hybrids.

·
Registered
151 Posts
And rightfully so. There is a reason the Prius is not been a big seller in Europe. Their diesels get better mileage. No batteries, no complicated drive mechanism, just better mileage. If I lived in Europe, I wouldn't buy a Prius. they currently are trying to catch up to the new interest in EVs not so much hybrids.
I drive a diesel here in the U.S. I love the mileage but lately the diesel prices will be a turnoff to those considering the same move. Hybrids don't compare when driving on the freeway; city driving is a little different.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts