1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
I wonder what gave them away. Sitting at a gas pump and pumping 350 gallons of fuel in one sitting must have done it. My local gas pump yon' give me more than $100 at a time on a credit card. When gas was close to $4 per gallon in 2013, that meant I needed to use two different credit cards to fill my suburbban's 40 gallon tank. They probably would have never gotten caught if they added 40 gallons, drove to another gas station, added another 40, rinse and repeat. Of course, after stealing the fuel, who were they selling it to? I think reselling fuel might be just as much of a crime, maybe transporting it without an approved container.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Filling your car is only a crime if you drive an EV. Their crime was credit card fraud. I don't know if I'd call it grand theft. That would involve hotwiring the pump. If their van gets just 16 miles per gallon, they could drive from Pomona to NYC to catch a show, and then drive home without stopping to fill up. Now that's a feat. EV envy, I think....

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
"For example, a typical state statute might make credit card fraud a misdemeanor if no property is obtained with the stolen card, or if the property does not exceed a modest amount such as $500. Such a crime would carry a maximum fine of $1,000 or so, and a sentence of up to one year in the county jail. As the value of the property received increases, so does the penalty. Felony credit card fraud in which property of significant value was obtained might be punishable by a $25,000 fine and 15 years in prison. Of course, anyone charged under a particular statute should research the penalties in that jurisdiction, or consult with a lawyer for assistance." So sayeth the intertubes here. 350 gallons @ $2.20 per gallon is only $770, probably still a felony offense.

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
His real crime was DWB (Driving While Black). Unfortunately a lot of cities have this as an unwritten crime. He wasn't smart to get out of the car however and I highly doubt his civil rights lawsuit will go anywhere.
So using someone else's credit card without permission is ok? Filling up with an order of magnitude more fuel than oem capacity isn't suspicious?

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Aprox 8000 pound capacity in a commuter van. they must have some great springs in that rolling bomb.
350 gallons x 6.5 lbs per gallon = 2275 lbs plus the weight of the tanks, mounting brackets ~ 2800 lbs. Seems doable.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
So using someone else's credit card without permission is ok? Filling up with an order of magnitude more fuel than oem capacity isn't suspicious?
I deleted my post - it was in the wrong thread. The crime here is the use of a stolen credit card. The fact that it was gasoline is the unusual part. Now if gas were at $4 or $5 a gallon then I could understand stealing gasoline. But at $2.50 (~California average) it doesn't make any sense unless it were going to be used for something else, such as a bomb.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
I deleted my post - it was in the wrong thread. The crime here is the use of a stolen credit card. The fact that it was gasoline is the unusual part. Now if gas were at $4 or $5 a gallon then I could understand stealing gasoline. But at $2.50 (~California average) it doesn't make any sense unless it were going to be used for something else, such as a bomb.
Still wouldn't. Buy 20 gallons a couple of times a week for a few months and the only notice you'll get is Mobil stepping up the credit card offers. There's no nefarious purpose for which stealing a common, legal fuel is less risky than just buying it.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The article said they had a 1000 gal capacity 1000 gal X 6.5 = 6500 lbs..
Seems like a pretty elaborate setup for such a paltry haul ~ $2,200 in stolen fuel and a slow getaway in a fully loaded van.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Unfortunately this is not that unusual in the little Cuba area of south FL. In addition to the credit card theft, the altering and using the vehicle for unlicensed transport is also chargeable. The public risk for this quantity of fuel isn't minor.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts