GM Volt Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts
I was not a big fan of the 2-tone paint on the earlier Volts, so I figured if the only way I could get 1-tone was to get black, I got black.

Plus, all the vehicles I ever bought or leased myself have been black.

Question is, would it be worth putting a light ceramic tint in the taillight lenses?

Update- Had both tail lights replaced after my first post. Fast forward less than a year later
the left tail light is melted again. The Volt is garaged at home and at work now, both garages are cooled
by Evaporative cooling systems.

I noticed the melted tail light as soon as I received it back from the dealer after having some warranty
work performed. When I picked it up it was 110 plus degrees in the car and 0 miles left on the battery
(ouch!)

Just thought everyone would like to know, sorry I don't have a picture Volt is back at the dealership
for other repairs. :(
Luvsolar,

I apologize that this concern has happened again. Have you contacted your Dedicated Advisor?

-Ian Chevrolet EV Customer Service

My '04 Prius had this same thing happen. The little assembly inside the light housing was made of black plastic and started warping in a major way. If my memory serves both assemblies were replaced under warranty.

Subsequently on the '06 and newer Prius models Toyota changed the material to a chromed plastic, presumably to keep the tail lamp housing from turning into a greenhouse and melting itself.

I'll have to look at my Volt's but I haven't noticed any warping so far.

-Drew

And besides, black Volts are killer good-looking (if and when they are clean...)
For the five minutes they are clean just after a wash. My first car was a black car. Never, ever again will I own a black car. It was pretty when it was clean, but those moments were too few and far between. I was sure my next car would be white, but maroon is my favorite color, I couldn't resist the red when I bought my Volt.

A couple of weeks ago, I saw my son's black Volt just baking in the sun in our driveway. I was curious how hot the black paint would be so I grabbed an infrared thermometer I have and pushed the button. I was really surprised when the digital display read 168 degrees F! This is in Massachusetts to boot, I wonder how much hotter it would be in Arizona?

Discussion starter · #27 · (Edited)
Luvsolar,

I apologize that this concern has happened again. Have you contacted your Dedicated Advisor?

-Ian Chevrolet EV Customer Service
Hi Ian,

I just noticed it so I haven't contacted a dedicated Advisor, thank you for your reply. I was just trying to bring attention to this reoccurring issue, I just pointed it out on my friends Volt as well (Cyber Gray). I really enjoy my Volt, I would just hate to replace it out of warranty. Talk about labor intensive.

Fast forward to 2015 .... and ... You guessed it! The tail lamp/s in my Volt are melting and warping out of shape due to sitting in the sun (I live in AZ) Guess they never fixed the problem. Just wait until someone gets rear ended and disfigured tail lamps are found to not have emitted required light in the proper direction?? Here come the lawyers!!

I passed this along to our Exterior Lighting materials engineer.
Fast forward to 2015 .... and ... You guessed it! The tail lamp/s in my Volt are melting and warping out of shape due to sitting in the sun (I live in AZ) Guess they never fixed the problem.
It is a shame that Pete hasn't been active for the last 6 months. There go my plans to move to AZ when I grow up.

Just wait until someone gets rear ended and disfigured tail lamps are found to not have emitted required light in the proper direction?? Here come the lawyers!!
If tail light prevented rear-end collisions, about 100% of them would never happen.

My brand new 15 was delivered to me with one tail light warped just like in the photo in the original post. Dealer fixed it. I then bought a used 2013, and both tail lights are warped, even worse than in the photo. Some of the lens part was actually shriveled up too. I'm certain that this will happen again with the replaced lenses.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.