GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Melted tail light reflector, High Desert Area

Hello Everyone,

I was waxing my 2012 Black Volt and noticed the rear tail light/reflector was partially melted.
Just curious if anyone else has seen this ? I did a quick search and did not find anything
so my apologies if this subject has been previous addressed.

Temps have been in the 108 Deg for the last couple of weeks. I previously lost the instrument cluster display
when temps hit 112 deg. Cluster was replaced and all has been well. Volt is garage kept, no shade structure at work.

Thanks. Al

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Most of the time I do, then when I get home the garage is climate controlled.
I wonder if the reflector behind the plastic lens maybe increasing the temp just
over the plastics threshold in these extreme areas.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Wow, I know several months ago someone had the exact same problem as you. They even posted pics very similar to yours. I'm pretty sure its not the bulbs as they use LED, which do not get hot. Good luck.

·
Administrator
20,655 Posts
Yes, I believe yours is the second post on this issue. Warranty work.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Yes, I believe yours is the second post on this issue. Warranty work.
Copy that ! Thank you. I figured it would be covered under warranty, I hope the new ones will be redesigned. Finding
shade isn't an option sometimes, replacing these tail lights every year would get pricey. :) Every car is going to have hiccups and
I'm sure GM will figure this out. Great car !

·
Registered
4 Posts
Melted tail lights

I just took delivery of my Volt 4 days ago and both of my tail lights are deformed from melting as well.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a Black 2013 that I got in very late Aug this year and my right taillight starting to show warping. I rarely drive at night and park in enclosed garage when not driving. Are others seeing this issue on left taillight as well or only right?

Concerned now if any "voltage" is leaking from right side battery and unsafe for right rear occupant.

We need to start calling our Volt advisors on this issue.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Left tail light melted again, less than a year later.

Update- Had both tail lights replaced after my first post. Fast forward less than a year later
the left tail light is melted again. The Volt is garaged at home and at work now, both garages are cooled
by Evaporative cooling systems.

I noticed the melted tail light as soon as I received it back from the dealer after having some warranty
work performed. When I picked it up it was 110 plus degrees in the car and 0 miles left on the battery
(ouch!)

Just thought everyone would like to know, sorry I don't have a picture Volt is back at the dealership
for other repairs. :(

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
It baffles me why people living in a hot climate would ever buy a car in black.

The black color reflects so little, and absorbs far more heat from the sun. On a sunny day, put your hand on the black car, and then compare it to a light-colored car. You can be sure that after a car is parked for an hour in the sun, the interior is going to take on the same temperature as the exterior, especially if the windows are closed all the way.

As you can see from the pictures and read above, the higher temps damage plastics in the tail light. If it damages tail lights and center cluster displays, what ELSE is it damaging that you don't see?

Even though my car is a light color, I always crack the windows an inch when it's parked in the sun. Ever get that hazy film on the inside of the windshield? That's from the hot plastics off-gassing in the high temperatures. Cracking the windows prevents the windshield problem two ways: It keeps the interior cooler, and also vents what gasses do occur.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

The black color reflects so little, and absorbs far more heat from the sun. On a sunny day, put your hand on the black car, and then compare it to a light-colored car. You can be sure that after a car is parked for an hour in the sun, the interior is going to take on the same temperature as the exterior, especially if the windows are closed all the way.

As you can see from the pictures and read above, the higher temps damage plastics in the tail light. If it damages tail lights and center cluster displays, what ELSE is it damaging that you don't see?

Even though my car is a light color, I always crack the windows an inch when it's parked in the sun. Ever get that hazy film on the inside of the windshield? That's from the hot plastics off-gassing in the high temperatures. Cracking the windows prevents the windshield problem two ways: It keeps the interior cooler, and also vents what gasses do occur.
Sorry to baffle you :) What if a person relocates to a hotter climate are you suggesting to paint or sell the vehicle just because it's black? I'm just hoping GM sees this post and recognizes there's a problem with certain color Volts in certain markets melting the plastic on the Volt tail lights that's all.

If we don't let GM know there's an issue how are they supposed to fix it? I believe early adopters feedback is important.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Sorry to baffle you :) What if a person relocates to a hotter climate are you suggesting to paint or sell the vehicle just because it's black? I'm just hoping GM sees this post and recognizes there's a problem with certain color Volts in certain markets melting the plastic on the Volt tail lights that's all.

If we don't let GM know there's an issue how are they supposed to fix it? I believe early adopters feedback is important.
You're right. And I apologize for writing a somewhat harsh opinion. I let my personal opinions weigh in too much on that one. I even catch cr#$ from my m.i.l. for cracking the windows in the heat --
"What if someone can open your doors with a coat hanger!!!" :rolleyes:

GM should be informed of the issue, and I hope they come up with better heat-resistant plastics.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You're right. And I apologize for writing a somewhat harsh opinion. I let my personal opinions weigh in too much on that one. I even catch cr#$ from my m.i.l. for cracking the windows in the heat --
"What if someone can open your doors with a coat hanger!!!" :rolleyes:

GM should be informed of the issue, and I hope they come up with better heat-resistant plastics.
That's funny about the coat hanger! No apologies needed :eek: Black looks great when cleaned up, it definitely has some drawbacks.

·
Registered
2018 Volt Premier w/ACC
536 Posts
Under the normal range of exposure for a vehicle, a tail light should not melt, black or white car, electric or ICE. This shouldn't be happening. Chevy needs to fix and probably for most all Volts.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Under the normal range of exposure for a vehicle, a tail light should not melt, black or white car, electric or ICE. This shouldn't be happening. Chevy needs to fix and probably for most all Volts.
Correct ! and now the bad servicing of these tail lights bites GM in the Wallet again _ I had the the thread questioning GM design as to why these can't be replaced with a hell of alot let less labour - Same money different style is the reminder again for GM.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
I just park my Volt in my cooled garage...:rolleyes:

But seriously...contact the dealer for your warranty work, and keep all of the papers as documentation, because this may happen again NEXT SUMMER...:(

·
Registered
986 Posts
My black Volt is often parked in a dark metal carport and charged there in the heat of the day here in Texas. One day last summer the interior temp was 129 degrees. In August it is typically 120 degrees inside, with the passive solar heat gain (heat-loading) the metal absorbs and introduces into the carport.

My Volt is approaching 17,000 miles and 14 months in service without a single problem, other than the radio switching back and forth between the Liberace Channel and the Reggae Station on XM. This problem is easily resolved with earplugs.

·
Registered
986 Posts
After I took a test drive in a Volt nearly two years ago, I was so impressed, I sold my white Cessna (no liens) in order to buy the very next Volt that rolled off the car-hauler at my local dealership. I didn't care what color it was, and options were not a big deal either. The decision to buy was based on this radical technology that could "deliver me from evil"...

My Volt rarely sits outside in the sun, except on really cold days (it has gotten down to 11 degrees here in recent times) I pull the Volt out of it's insulated garage, and park it head-first into the sunrise in the mornings and I get a free pre-heat of the cabin.

Summer here in Central Texas is wild. Lizards look for shade, coyotes hide and rattlesnakes stay underground and those of us who own black Volts in Texas (at least I do) find all the comfort we need, driving in the ECO mode on the A/C.

The only idiotic aspect of owning my black Volt, is driving it on gravel and dirt roads, thus the reason I named it Dusty - the filthiest and most abused Volt on the planet. And besides, black Volts are killer good-looking (if and when they are clean...)

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
And besides, black Volts are killer good-looking (if and when they are clean...)
Plus, we all know that black Volts are faster than other color Volts. ;)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts