GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never know, when I start the 2017 Volt, whether I'm going to be able to access the music on the USB flash drive or not. Sometimes it works, sometimes the Volt doesn't recognize the flash drive (even if it was in use, when I last turned the car off).

If I turn off the phone's Bluetooth - sometimes I have to pull the flash drive, count to five and reinsert it - only then does the Volt recognize the USB flash drive. It can even start up in the exact song it was playing, when I last stopped the car.

Of course, if I connect the phone via the second USB port (for Android Auto), the Volt doesn't continue to recognize the flash drive plugged into the first USB port, at all. And nothing seems to be able to compel it to connect both the phone and the flash drive, at the same time, via USB ports.

Has anyone figured out the rhyme and reason to keeping the media connection to the USB flash drive intact?

2017 Volt LT
Standard sound system
Comfort package
Light ash/dark ash cloth seating

·
Registered
968 Posts
I never know, when I start the 2017 Volt, whether I'm going to be able to access the music on the USB flash drive or not. Sometimes it works, sometimes the Volt doesn't recognize the flash drive (even if it was in use, when I last turned the car off).

If I turn off the phone's Bluetooth - sometimes I have to pull the flash drive, count to five and reinsert it - only then does the Volt recognize the USB flash drive. It can even start up in the exact song it was playing, when I last stopped the car.

Of course, if I connect the phone via the second USB port (for Android Auto), the Volt doesn't continue to recognize the flash drive plugged into the first USB port, at all. And nothing seems to be able to compel it to connect both the phone and the flash drive, at the same time, via USB ports.

Has anyone figured out the rhyme and reason to keeping the media connection to the USB flash drive intact?

2017 Volt LT
Standard sound system
Comfort package
Light ash/dark ash cloth seating
What type of USB drive are you using? Some USB drives get extremely hot and start having transfer issues. I use a low profile sandisk USB 2.0 version and it has been rock solid. I know other forum members who also claim that these work great. However, the USB 3.0 with fast transfer rates seem to overheat and have some problems. Check reviews on your drive on amazon or newegg.

Another forum member Dutch has some other theories that have helped others. Good luck.

Also it might pay to consider the source of the trouble. There have already been some threads about USB ports acting up and I've commented that the outgassing, especially on a new car, is awful and puts a semi-conductive coating on everything, every nook and port and everything.

Good contact cleaner (something that won't eat plastic) is a quick and cheap way to see if this is the source of your issues.
I prefer CRC QD cleaner

See also
http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?234322-USB-port-issue-song-loses-sound-for-10-15-seconds-at-a-time.
and
http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?238265-Ipod-static-y-plugged-into-USB

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What type of USB drive are you using? Some USB drives get extremely hot and start having transfer issues. I use a low profile sandisk USB 2.0 version and it has been rock solid. I know other forum members who also claim that these work great. However, the USB 3.0 with fast transfer rates seem to overheat and have some problems.
This a generic USB stick; something I just picked up, as swag, at a conference. It's not getting hot and the transfer speed seems to not be the cause of the problem. Since the car recognizes the USB stick as soon as I disconnect the phone's Bluetooth connection, I'm inclined to think this isn't a problem with the physical USB connector.

I'll try this with a different USB flash drive. And I'll also unpair and then re-pair the phone's Bluetooth connection.

The other problem I need to tackle has to do with Android Auto. When I connect the phone by USB, Android Auto works fine. But when the phone is connected by USB, the Volt no longer recognizes the flash drive still connected in to the second USB port.

I keep thinking, if I could just come up with the correct sequence of connecting events, these devices would be consistently recognized by my car.

Thanks again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts