GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I have a big question.

Can I, as a private citizen of Australia and New Zealand, use the MDI, and ACDELCO, to calibrate my speedo?

Apparently no one in Australia can do it as calibration is done in the U.S.A. Prior to shipping. No doubt at request of the local distributer. All I want is a true vehicle in all respects.
The speed is way out, requiring me do use a GPS on the dash, to give me the correct speed, which is unsightly in this truly magnificent vehicle. Even if the Nav system displayed speed would be good. And when I sell the vehicle, it will show a greater distance than was actually travelled!
Any help would be great.
Scott :cool:

·
Registered
449 Posts
If the speed display is way off, I would think a dealer can address the problem under warranty at no cost.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Are you sure that odometer is off? My speedometer has been off in other vehicles and the odometer has been right on. I even checked with a GPS as well as a known good mile.

Somehow the dealer should be able to correct this. If you are racking up miles faster that you should, you are also going to shortchange your warranty allowable miles too.

3,600 Posts
Hello everyone,
I have a big question.

Can I, as a private citizen of Australia and New Zealand, use the MDI, and ACDELCO, to calibrate my speedo?

Apparently no one in Australia can do it as calibration is done in the U.S.A. Prior to shipping. No doubt at request of the local distributer. All I want is a true vehicle in all respects.
The speed is way out, requiring me do use a GPS on the dash, to give me the correct speed, which is unsightly in this truly magnificent vehicle. Even if the Nav system displayed speed would be good. And when I sell the vehicle, it will show a greater distance than was actually travelled!
Any help would be great.
Scott :cool:
Afternoon EvilBrunt,

I apologize you are experiencing this concern. Unfortunately the MDI can not do what you are asking. Could you please PM me the last eight of your Volt's VIN? Also are you currently using the OEM wheels or are they aftermarket?

Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you.

-Ian Chevrolet EV Customer Service

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone, I'd just love an accurate speedo, feels funny going past speed cameras with it reading way over into the zone 2 fine area. I'll check odometer on next trip, the wheels are standard, and there's no room for bigger wheels to correct it, I suppose I could go for a lower profile tyre to make the error an easy calculable 10%. And as the transmission changes at 75mph, on the trip it may be more economical at 100-110kph? Now there's another good question.
Still a pleasure to drive, I feel welcomed to the 21st century.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Speedo error

One thing is for sure: when the volt needs new shoes, I will calculate a lower profile to enable the speedo to be 10% out, making calculations on the run a breeze, the current 7% is annoying

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Reading other posts, the firmware for the volt is encrypted, so it would take a roomful of software engineers weeks to crack (as it took to crack SSL a few years ago) so I cant recalibrate the speedo, or change anything on the car without the help of GM. Having said that, there are legal means, but for now I have a GPS speedo reflected onto windscreen which looks ok.

·
Registered
264 Posts
One thing is for sure: when the volt needs new shoes, I will calculate a lower profile to enable the speedo to be 10% out, making calculations on the run a breeze, the current 7% is annoying
Wow, that's a shame about the speedo.
But at least you can keep your math skills sharp.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a GPS speedo mounted on the dash now. It reflects speed onto the windscreen.
It's an ugly addition to a great car, it is a pity Holden Australia doesn't care about customer satisfaction!
I will keep up to date on how to fix it, but I'm guessing a change is many years away. Next step is a court order to make them fix it, but that would cost more than the $160 I paid for GPS speedo

1 - 9 of 9 Posts