GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Autocar reports that Mazda's engineers are developing a range-extended electric vehicle much like the car GM is working 24/7 to put in showrooms by the end of 2010.
Mazda could be right behind them with a Volt of its own, which means Ford could be as well."

http://blog.wired.com/cars/2008/08/mazda-building.html

·
Registered
812 Posts
"Autocar reports that Mazda's engineers are developing a range-extended electric vehicle much like the car GM is working 24/7 to put in showrooms by the end of 2010.
Mazda could be right behind them with a Volt of its own, which means Ford could be as well."

http://blog.wired.com/cars/2008/08/mazda-building.html
Is there anyone who can weigh in on rotary engines versus piston engines in an E-REV application? All I know is it sounds cool as hell.

Now we finally know for sure that the volt will face fierce competition. This is VERY GOOD NEWS for all of us. Maybe not for GM. Oh well.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Is there anyone who can weigh in on rotary engines versus piston engines in an E-REV application? All I know is it sounds cool as hell.

Now we finally know for sure that the volt will face fierce competition. This is VERY GOOD NEWS for all of us. Maybe not for GM. Oh well.
I'd rate a rotary extender for an EREV as "highly unlikely." The rotary is efficient in terms of power for a given engine mass, but not so much in power for a given amount of fuel burned. It's possible that there's some magic to be had in running a rotary at some ideal RPM, but all my experience with rotary engines has been that they're fun to drive but not for the economy minded.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Maybe Mazda can make an E-REV with zoom-zoom. Maybe they can make it look like something cooler than a jelly bean. Or maybe not.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I would buy it over the Volt if it were better (and hopefully cheaper). I also would get my dads discount.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I just read the article and they are doing it on a van, not a car. I don't see a van as a competitor for a car or vice versa.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I just read the article and they are doing it on a van, not a car. I don't see a van as a competitor for a car or vice versa.
Got a source? I'd love to see a pic but I doubt there's anything out there available for us to check out...

It's interesting because as of yet there is a wide-open market for every category. I would LOVE to see GM take the Sky (Kappa platform I think is what it is called) and develop a Roadster... A van? that'd be interesting as well...

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
The article I read said they are using a mini van as a test platform, not that they were going to to produce an E-REV van. I don't think they have said what it is they hope to build. They're just exploring the technology.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts