GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, that is plural. Previous Thread Discussion Just wanted to let everyone know that this actually happened. Should be 6 of us floating around on the internets somewhere. I just received mine today. 2015 with Safety Package 1 - backup camera/sensors, and heated front seats in Ashen Gray Metallic. MSRP just over $36k.

I also won the 60" TV for $60, and the blender for $6. :cool:
Anyways - There were 6 people who completed the "sale" for the Volt within milliseconds, so Allstate's marketing decided to "sell" 6 Volts instead of just 1. Registration/sales tax/end of year capital gains paid by Allstate. We had the option of selecting colors/upgrades at our own cost. I opted not for anything extra but the $200 car. From what I understand, other winners/buyers were from California, Utah, Louisiana, Maryland - I think, and one other state.
I've only put about 30 miles on it so far today and still messing with the settings for everything.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Wow and Congrats! Make sure you change the engine run due to temperature down to 15 degrees. This setting is when the gas engine will turn on based on outside temp to help heat the cabin. I wish I could turn this off.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Wow and Congrats! Make sure you change the engine run due to temperature down to 15 degrees. This setting is when the gas engine will turn on based on outside temp to help heat the cabin. I wish I could turn this off.
Yes, that is clearly the most important thing about the entire car.

·
Registered
340 Posts
That is very cool of AllState and impressive you got in so fast. Enjoy the Volt. Put it in Sport Mode and drive it like you stole it.

IMO, sport mode is the most important thing about the entire car.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Congrats, and welcome to the forum!!

Wishing I had heard about this when it was happening, though, I'm sure my not-so-fast satellite internet connection at home would not have done me any favors!

·
Registered
800 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
omaharacer, so, two questions:
1) Did you know it was a Volt when you bid on it?
2) How in the world did you manage to pull it off?
I was watching the commercials, not really paying attention, when all of a sudden at the end I looked up and went "Hey, that's a Volt!!!". I even rewound the commercial on the DVR to show my wife. We then went to the site and saw that it looked legit. My wife spent the rest of the Super Bowl (which she didn't really care about) stalking the Mayhem Sale website for the Volt to go active. It didn't by the end of the game. My friend noticed that it went active sometime around 3am in our timezone (Central). We were wondering if the folks who got the car even knew what they were getting. :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yes, that is plural. Previous Thread Discussion Just wanted to let everyone know that this actually happened. Should be 6 of us floating around on the internets somewhere. I just received mine today. 2015 with Safety Package 1 - backup camera/sensors, and heated front seats in Ashen Gray Metallic. MSRP just over $36k.

I also won the 60" TV for $60, and the blender for $6. :cool:
Anyways - There were 6 people who completed the "sale" for the Volt within milliseconds, so Allstate's marketing decided to "sell" 6 Volts instead of just 1. Registration/sales tax/end of year capital gains paid by Allstate. We had the option of selecting colors/upgrades at our own cost. I opted not for anything extra but the $200 car. From what I understand, other winners/buyers were from California, Utah, Louisiana, Maryland - I think, and one other state.
I've only put about 30 miles on it so far today and still messing with the settings for everything.
I am in Omaha and I have the same Volt (mine is 2014)! Ashen Grey, Safety 1, Premium + Bose.

Congrats on the FREE ride.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
omaharacer, so, two questions:
1) Did you know it was a Volt when you bid on it?
2) How in the world did you manage to pull it off?
I was watching the commercials, not really paying attention, when all of a sudden at the end I looked up and went "Hey, that's a Volt!!!". I even rewound the commercial on the DVR to show my wife. We then went to the site and saw that it looked legit. My wife spent the rest of the Super Bowl (which she didn't really care about) stalking the Mayhem Sale website for the Volt to go active. It didn't by the end of the game. My friend noticed that it went active sometime around 3am in our timezone (Central). We were wondering if the folks who got the car even knew what they were getting. :)
Heading to Home Depot to get some adapters/wire to resolder the charger for 120/240 use right now. Already changed the setting to charge at 12amps at 120v and "very low" temp for ICE warming.

1. I'm a car guy/computer guru/nerd/whatever and immediately knew it was a Volt (I also have a diesel Grand Cherokee and diesel Liberty in the background for reference)
2. As for buying it - I seen the first ad for the sale around 8:45pm, went online, almost bought a couple things, seen the car - figured it was going to be last and managed to get the blender. Then was glued to my PC, filled out the autofill in Chrome since I couldn't go through checkout fast enough manually on a few other items. Then hit refresh on the big ticket items constantly until I managed to get the TV.
I sat at the computer hitting refresh every time the server responded until my wife went to sleep and told me I was going crazy. I tried for the car until around 2am CST when I noticed they posted Mayhem needed the Volt for a "getaway" and that it would be for sale in the next couple days and to check Twitter for updates. I stayed up searching online to see if anyone else won anything until around 3:20am when Mayhem's Twitter posted he was getting sleepy and the car would be for sale soon. I figured I might have a chance since the website wasn't crashing constantly and most people probably went to sleep since it was about 5 hours after the game ended. I think it was around 3:57AM when the Volt was finally posted on Twitter that it was for sale. The website didn't update until a minute or so later. I went through checkout as fast as possible, which took maybe 6 seconds or so, then got a confirmation email. The ad agency contacted me a few days later, and about once every 1-2 weeks since going through options, paperwork, dealer updates, etc.

·
Registered
83 Posts
My wife saw the Twitter update about it going on sale sometime "in the next couple of days." We felt a bit misled that it was actually just a few hours later. Oh well, we've already got a Volt (and my wife is super interested in Gen 2). I'm glad that some people got a great deal and I hope that the car is a good experience for them.

·
Registered
166 Posts
That is bad ass. Maybe I will run into you sometime and we can race.

My wife loves the car. She has never had to put gas in it and we only have to fill it up when we go on a road trip.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I got back from the home improvement store a little while ago. Got the Voltec charger out and it doesn't look like any of the other ones I've seen. Manufacture date on the Volt was 1/2015.
Has a black cord. Front has horizontal lights like the original, but centered in the middle. No holes in the back for screws. I'm trying to figure out how to pull this thing apart without destroying it...

·
Administrator
20,150 Posts
Why take apart the EVSE? (The charger is actually mounted behind the front bumper, passenger side)

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
You got the car for $200, I think you can treat yourself to $500 for a proper EVSE instead of destroying the included one ;)

Congrats on getting it.
I thought it was just a fake marketing gimmick, didn't know there was actually a car to be had.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Already changed the setting to charge at 12amps at 120v
You may be surprised about how that works in practice.

No holes in the back for screws. I'm trying to figure out how to pull this thing apart without destroying it...
It may have been ultrasonically welded to prevent tampering.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts