GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the OKAY from the dealership to take the VOLT for an overnight test drive next monday WOOOT!

so, is invoice Doable on the volts?

i want premium and park assist but don't need any of the other stuff...maybe bose...DVD playing Navigation... list goes on

but yeah... Invoice... let me know if it's doable.

it's a small town dealer so maybe not...

·
Super Moderator
6,365 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
damn it's above MSRP for my area...

but then again people who bought them in the area(1 i believe) probably over paid lol

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
damn it's above MSRP for my area...
Then buy from somewhere else. There are a couple of dealers on this list that frequently offer up units for sale, I remember one from NY who will deliver it to you.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Which part of Alabama are you in? How far from Atlanta? There are alot of Atlanta area dealerships, might be worth some calls to different dealerships around here. I usually have better luck/get better deals buying on the outskirts of the city.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yea i might just do that...

do you have any suggestions?

i don't want to pay over $500 for doc fee... usually pay $100 but damn down south they charge you a lot for them doc fees!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Be Straightforward, honest

yea i might just do that...

do you have any suggestions?

i don't want to pay over $500 for doc fee... usually pay $100 but damn down south they charge you a lot for them doc fees!
Get your information, be straightforward and honest, and support your local dealer. As a former dealer myself (was 20 years ago), I appreciated an informed and honest customer and I in turn showed that appreciation with a good price and quality local customer service. Ask to see the invoice from GM and offer somewhere between $4-800 over, be done with it. Enjoy your new car AND the good local service. Give them one chance, tell them they have one chance to get it right. BTW, you will LOVE the Volt!!!

·
1,101 Posts
Don't Pay Anything Over MSRP!!!!!

Walk away if they ask anything more. It really is that simple...........

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
I bet you can get close. Go armed.

Check out all the invoice/sales details here. This is exactly what a friend is doing and then talking to dealers.

http://www.truecar.com/prices-new/chevrolet/volt-pricing/
Since there are no Volts in my area (Puerto Rico), I tried my home city of New York. I can get a 2012 for $38,405 in the city, and there are three dealers nearby. What I need now is the cash to buy the Volt, and a very long bridge or tunnel to drive the Volt to Puerto Rico.

You may suggest having it shipped from New York to my home, but that is what a local dealer does. The remaining problem is servicing, and my local GM dealer isn't ready yet. So I have to wait anyway. And if I do get my Volt through my dealer, or have it shipped, I have to pay about $8,000 in local tariffs. I can't win, unless I actually could drive it from New York to Puerto Rico.

·
Registered
168 Posts
It's definitely better to pay $600 in shipping from an out of state dealer than to pay $3000 more for the car to get it locally. The Volts are commodities when they are on the lot. If both dealers have the same color and options you want, then it's just the pricing and terms that should make your decision.

Find the dealers advertising $3000 off MSRP or $1000 below invoice on here. Don't expect your local dealer to price match because they live in a free market and they should get what they can for the car. So if people will pay MSRP or over locally that's good for them, but it doesn't mean you can't take your business elsewhere, which is the free market working for you.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
Get your information, be straightforward and honest, and support your local dealer. As a former dealer myself (was 20 years ago), I appreciated an informed and honest customer and I in turn showed that appreciation with a good price and quality local customer service. Ask to see the invoice from GM and offer somewhere between $4-800 over, be done with it. Enjoy your new car AND the good local service. Give them one chance, tell them they have one chance to get it right. BTW, you will LOVE the Volt!!!
Here's the problem. Why don't dealers appreciate under-informed customers? Are they a mark? Are they ripe to spend money on things that they shouldn't? I was just at an autoshop for my annual inspection (Mazda6). They wanted to sell me everything from radiator flush and fill, fuel injector cleaning, alignment, full tuneup. I'm surprised they didn't want to replace my points and condensor :)

Dealers - one price for all, please. No more games. Everyone who buys a car shouldn't have to be well informed to be appreciated.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Great point!

Also, I never buy that line about getting a car locally at a dealer to get better service from the service department. The sales department and the service departments might as well be from another planet. They each have their sales goals.

Here's the problem. Why don't dealers appreciate under-informed customers? Are they a mark? Are they ripe to spend money on things that they shouldn't? I was just at an autoshop for my annual inspection (Mazda6). They wanted to sell me everything from radiator flush and fill, fuel injector cleaning, alignment, full tuneup. I'm surprised they didn't want to replace my points and condensor :)

Dealers - one price for all, please. No more games. Everyone who buys a car shouldn't have to be well informed to be appreciated.

·
8,680 Posts
I got the OKAY from the dealership to take the VOLT for an overnight test drive next monday WOOOT!

so, is invoice Doable on the volts?

i want premium and park assist but don't need any of the other stuff...maybe bose...DVD playing Navigation... list goes on

but yeah... Invoice... let me know if it's doable.

it's a small town dealer so maybe not...
I know several folks on the forum recently have bought somewhere near invoice.

If you're willing to travel a little for the best deal (shipping might be an option, too,) then have a look at the offers from some So Cal dealers on the forums recently. In a few months, they'll be getting Volts which qualify for a state rebate and sole occupancy in the HOV lanes, so some of them are offering great deals to get rid of the cars that won't qualify (basically the same car - a new air injection pump at the cat and a longer battery warranty we're told.) One dealer claimed to be offering $5k off of sticker price last week, which may or may not be available.

·
Administrator
20,654 Posts
Southwest fly's most places, often for $140 or so. The drive back is actually fun. Downside: you will use gas.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well i drove it home... on a partial charge... the gas engine is pretty loud...

I think I need a combination of leaf and volt. I do drive frequently and don't have time to charge for hours before leaving... err...

tomorrow I'll drive to work and back to see whether it'll survive the round trip. if it can do just that I may consider it...(approx 35~mi)

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
well i drove it home... on a partial charge... the gas engine is pretty loud...

I think I need a combination of leaf and volt. I do drive frequently and don't have time to charge for hours before leaving... err...

tomorrow I'll drive to work and back to see whether it'll survive the round trip. if it can do just that I may consider it...(approx 35~mi)
If you are reasonable (i.e. If you can keep the ball green and spinning),
You should be able to get 35m in Alabama this time of year.

I got 36 today in CO's snowing and freezing weather.

If you have a tight schedule you should consider getting a 240v charger, then you can get a full charge in 4 hours

·
Registered
915 Posts
Gas engine pretty loud?? I have to tell folks it has switched on when driving. It's far from loud!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
it didn't charge last night all but 7miles worth.

everything was green and then when I came in the morning, the charger blinked RED(both of them) and it was a huge failure...

dont know what happened but I guess I won't be buying one...

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
When that happened to me it was due to an outlet with loose connections. When you're pulling 12A any poor connections show up.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts