GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't really buy the Volt to save money, but the first year when my office had free charging, it was a nice perk. Then it went to .75/hour, which was about the same as my (shameful SCE) rate at home, so I became less anal about charging at work. My commute is 28 miles round trip, so I can easily make it on a single charge, wherever I do it. I occasionally have to make a longer mid-day drive, which is what brings up the current issue.

Last month my building doubled the rate to $1.50/hour. I'm not griping about that--they're entitled to charge what they want, and I had plenty of benefit when it was free and .75. My dilemma is whether on the longer drive days I should just use the gas, or pay the new rate at the office. If it cost just a little more, I'd use the electrons--in fact, in the past 2 or so years with low gas prices, it's actually been a little cheaper to use gas, but I've still driven electric whenever possible. However, now that it's $6.00 a charge (and $3.00/gallon), I may have hit the pain point.

Anyone else have similar struggles? I'm a huge fan of all the environmental reasons to use electrons, and that's a big reason I got the car in the first place. I'm just not sure where the ideological breaking point is.

Fortunately, I haven't had to worry much about it lately--not many long drive days in a while. In fact, I'm currently making a new personal best on a tank of gas--5,300 so far and 5.1 gallons left. But I'm sure eventually I'll have to consider that mid-day charge more often.

Thanks. (Oh, these first-world problems!)

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Oh, these first-world problems!
Answered your own question. More people need to take the 'What, me worry?' Alfred E. Newman approach.

I just drive and give her what she wants. Gas, electricity, whatever. I got bigger fish to fry.

Gas or electricity would have to be a much bigger piece of the pie for me to notice it or calculate any difference. Now, $300/mo for gas vs $24/mo gets my annual attention. $3 for 40 miles of electric vs $3 for 40 miles of gasoline travel doesn't hit my 'matters' meter.

·
4,851 Posts
$1.50 per hour, as you point out, is equivalent to more than $6/gallon gasoline, which is pretty crazy.

Do the people in charge of your office EVSE realize how high that rate is, and that they were already making a profit on the incremental electricity used at 75 cents per hour?

Part of the problem is that some cars can charge at higher kWh rates. Would they consider changing to a rate based on kWh used?

Long story short, I don't charge at EVSE's that have rates like that. ;)

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Just to clarify, when you say per hour you mean charging time not KWH? Also the $6 is to charge your Gen 1 Volt (36 miles EV range) which is equivalent to less than a gallon of gas. Clearly it makes no sense to charge your Volt at the $1.5 rate. The .75 rate is close enough that you should do it if for no other reason then the pleasure of driving on electricity.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure how much the building thinks about it. It's visible that fewer cars (and especially fewer 3.3 kw cars like Volts) charge here since the increase. When they first started charging 75 cents, I talked to someone on the phone, who was very understanding, but simply explained that they had costs and could no longer subsidize the freebie (which I understand 100%). I doubt any additional discussion will make a difference.

Maybe when premium gets back to over $5.00/gallon I'll start charging at work again.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just to clarify, when you say per hour you mean charging time not KWH? Also the $6 is to charge your Gen 1 Volt (36 miles EV range) which is equivalent to less than a gallon of gas. Clearly it makes no sense to charge your Volt at the $1.5 rate. The .75 rate is close enough that you should do it if for no other reason then the pleasure of driving on electricity.
Yes, clock hour. And I average 45 miles/charge in my Gen 1 here in SoCal where winter doesn't happen.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
They've set the pricing for Tesla's which charge 4X faster than the Volt on a Level 2 charger. You need to complain and see if they can switch to KWH pricing instead of time based pricing.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
The latest change is probably worth dropping them a note and saying That you're not going to be using it at that rate and why. They can look at their records and see if their income goes up or down after the change.

·
Registered
918 Posts
They've set the pricing for Tesla's which charge 4X faster than the Volt on a Level 2 charger. You need to complain and see if they can switch to KWH pricing instead of time based pricing.
Not exactly. Most public L2 EVSEs cannot charge at 6.6kW rate since 208V is the supply line. But I do wonder if BEV drivers complained about EREV drivers that drove the $0.75/hr rate to double to $1.50/hr.

Stromfahrer - where in Orange County is your office? Is it an Irvine Co. building?

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Not exactly. Most public L2 EVSEs cannot charge at 6.6kW rate since 208V is the supply line. But I do wonder if BEV drivers complained about EREV drivers that drove the $0.75/hr rate to double to $1.50/hr.

Stromfahrer - where in Orange County is your office? Is it an Irvine Co. building?
I doubt that complaints from BEV drivers had anything to do with the price increase, I think they priced it at a rate that makes sense for a Tesla but not a Volt. The Tesla site claims that a Level 2 charges at 52 miles per hour. The gen 2 volt takes 4.5 hours to charge 53 miles. A time based charger is therefore charging Tesla owners 2.88 cents per mile and Volt owners 11.3 cents/mile. The Tesla price is half what it costs me in Massachusetts to charge from my own charger (5.94 cents per mile).

This isn't to say that Tesla owners don't complain. We only have a handful of sites in the Boston area but when I've looked them up I see bitter complaints in the Google reviews from Tesla owners complaining about extended range EV owners tying up the charger.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Nope, Segerstrom.

·
Administrator
19,980 Posts
I'd use gas at that rate. The only way I'd pay that rate is if I was desperate with a BEV.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Nope, Segerstrom.
Thank you. Main reason I asked was whether the cost increase was way to recoup increased cost or control congestion.
Since it's Segerstrom, I'm going to guess controlling congestion played a big role (unless they've had numerous maintenance issues with EVSEs going down).

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I doubt congestion is the issue. About a year ago they installed 4 more stations, doubling the total. Since then, they've never been full. And since the increase, they've almost always been empty. If anyone's really paying attention, they may realize that their total revenue has actually gone down since the increase. Maybe I'll send the letter some of the folks above mentioned.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts