GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 Volt with 65K. It has been a wonderful car. Two days ago I test drove a '17. Really liked it. The dealer was willing to come down $500.... plus 1000 from GM for something or other...Not quite the price I was looking for. So I called a dealer in a meto area near me. I can get a new '17 LE for $29500. What do you guys think about that price? Should I wait and see if GM has more incentives as the year wears on? Should I jump on this one.

One other issue maybe someone can help me with. I am starting a new job in California. I live in Oregon. If I pay state taxes in CA can I get the CA tax rebate on the car? What if I buy my car in Oregon? What if I buy the car in CA? Is the CA tax credit refundable? This year I won't pay $1500 in CA taxes, next year I most certainly will.

Thanks for any help in this matter, my wife says go for it! She will get the '13 volt, I will drive the new one!

Patrick

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
I have a 2013 Volt with 65K. It has been a wonderful car. Two days ago I test drove a '17. Really liked it. The dealer was willing to come down $500.... plus 1000 from GM for something or other...Not quite the price I was looking for. So I called a dealer in a meto area near me. I can get a new '17 LE for $29500. What do you guys think about that price? Should I wait and see if GM has more incentives as the year wears on? Should I jump on this one.

One other issue maybe someone can help me with. I am starting a new job in California. I live in Oregon. If I pay state taxes in CA can I get the CA tax rebate on the car? What if I buy my car in Oregon? What if I buy the car in CA? Is the CA tax credit refundable? This year I won't pay $1500 in CA taxes, next year I most certainly will.

Thanks for any help in this matter, my wife says go for it! She will get the '13 volt, I will drive the new one!

Patrick
I'd wait till later this month to see if GM runs some Black Friday special. And who knows in December....could be some nice incentives as well.

Not sure about the CA rebate. My best guess is that it'd make sense to wait till after you establish residency in CA so you can get the rebate. I don't think its dependent on how much you paid in income tax.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
In my opinion not low enough. Gasoline is still cheap and I feel its a buyers market when it comes to buying a Volt. I know there is no sales tax in Oregon as I live there. I don't know how things work in California but I'm sure somebody in the forum has that answer for you. If I was you I would try to get your Volt down below $28,000 at least. When we bought our 2016 Volt over 4 months ago GM offered 20% off MSRP and the dealer gave us another $3,000 off, total was a little over $11,000 off MSRP. Now thats a deal we could not and didn't walk away from.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
It sounds like you will be living in Oregon and commuting across the state line to work in California? That is a tricky income tax situation and you will probably need a tax professional to sort out the tax credit part. Normally you will file and pay tax in CA and then also file and pay tax in OR on the same income (depending on if these two states have a reciprocity agreement), but then you get an OR tax credit for the amount of CA tax you paid. I could see that wiping out the CA tax credit if you even qualify for it in the first place. But I am no tax accountant.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks so much everyone for your quick replies! Yes, it will be a tricky state tax situation. I think OR and CA have an agreement for tax credit in OR for taxes paid in another state. I will check with a professional. As to the price, wow! What a deal on the 2016... I will look and see if I can find a leftover '16. Otherwise I think I will wait and see what GM does. I have gotten so much information from this forum over the years. I really appreciate the knowledge and experience of it's members.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
CA is an incentive, you receive a physical check of $1500 (low earners more, very high earners receive nothing) and has nothing to do with taxes...There is a catch though, if you get rid of the car before the 30th month, you must pay back the prorated amount...Still, even if you end up having to pay it back, consider it an interest free loan...I don't know exactly what's needed to qualify for a the CA incentive but believe you need a CA license...

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
The price seems good to me, but I'm not as aggressive on price as some. As long as it's good I'm good. Maybe that's because I've seen so many friends burned badly by not buying or selling when the buying or selling was good because they thought they could get a little more. And sometimes you can. LOL Just depends on your psychological makeup as to what works for you. No guarantees on the prices.

On the California rebate, it is a rebate and has nothing to do with how much in taxes you've paid. However, you have to be a resident when you buy the car. Note that Volts sold in CA (maybe Oregon as well) have a special emissions system. That's determined by the VIN. You need that in order to get the rebate.

FWIW I don't think there is a check on the 30 month holding period (thought it was 36 but it may have changed).

·
Registered
141 Posts
The price seems good to me, but I'm not as aggressive on price as some. As long as it's good I'm good. Maybe that's because I've seen so many friends burned badly by not buying or selling when the buying or selling was good because they thought they could get a little more. And sometimes you can. LOL Just depends on your psychological makeup as to what works for you. No guarantees on the prices.

Man do I agree with this sentiment plus, as I read somewhere, "it doesn't matter how great a deal you got there is someone on the internet telling you they got a better one". Once you get the price you are looking for in hand from a helpful dealer I am happy to strike.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Man do I agree with this sentiment plus, as I read somewhere, "it doesn't matter how great a deal you got there is someone on the internet telling you they got a better one". Once you get the price you are looking for in hand from a helpful dealer I am happy to strike.
This is my take, but I understand other have different takes as well. I always negotiate with myself. I understand what a great deal is by searching market price all over the U.S. I have no gripes about shipping a car if the price is right. Price is NOT the only factor, but it is the most important overall factor. I am not going to pay several thousand dollars extra just to please a local dealer. A new car is a new car. Once I have negotiated with myself, it is simply a matter of getting a dealer to meet that price or come very close to it.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
So I'm really wondering if they'll be a 20% off for black Friday at all because there is one now "black Friday all month" on certain model...Then other vehicles like the Volt have their own, less attractive offers...

This is my take, but I understand other have different takes as well. I always negotiate with myself. I understand what a great deal is by searching market price all over the U.S. I have no gripes about shipping a car if the price is right. Price is NOT the only factor, but it is the most important overall factor. I am not going to pay several thousand dollars extra just to please a local dealer. A new car is a new car. Once I have negotiated with myself, it is simply a matter of getting a dealer to meet that price or come very close to it.
Totally agree...And now a-days, literally takes 15-30mins of total time to research and email to get the best price...I have no problem buying from a sleazeball dealer vs a highly recommended one assuming the price is cheaper...I always review my paperwork...

·
Registered
14,009 Posts
I disagree. The OP needs to BE that person who got the best deal on the internet. I'm sure many folks in 2014 and 2015 beat me but I got a new $44k MSRP 2013 premium for $21k after all the incentives and rebates. I've heard of others getting in the $17-18k range with new base models. The 2017 model year is really the first year of this car in many states, so I'd call it the 1.5th year, not the second year of the vehicle. So when 2018 models arrive, I think supply will exceed demand, many will be looking at bolts and Tesla model 3s, and that's where the insanely great deals will be found as demand for the volt drops to nearly nothing. So wait a year, get the taxes, job, and where you are going to live settled, and find the deal of the century.

EDIT: In the meantime save like a gazelle and see if the lowered price and the cash you can pile up might allow you to buy the car outright in a year or so.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.