GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Interesting data in the table, for sure. If I read it correctly, the Prius remains wildly popular, and VW diesels are in second place. After that, however, the Volt outsold EVERY other fuel-efficient car, including any other available hybrid. In fact, the Volt outsold all Ford hybrids combined, and all Honda hybrids combined. The Volt literally blew the doors off all hybrids offered by Nissan and Audi.

What this tells me is that price matters. Cheap cars sell well. Period.

·
Registered
134 Posts
It is very difficult to tell if GM is profitable with this venture, and even more difficult to tell if it will continue supporting its Voltec program. We have all heard R&D costs put the Volt at $250,000 cost (which frankly I find BS). I know sales have increaed and the Prius started slowly in its rollout; I just wish we'd hear something from GM about plans to continue investing in the vehcile. GM is very silent.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
It is very difficult to tell if GM is profitable with this venture, and even more difficult to tell if it will continue supporting its Voltec program. We have all heard R&D costs put the Volt at $250,000 cost (which frankly I find BS). I know sales have increaed and the Prius started slowly in its rollout; I just wish we'd hear something from GM about plans to continue investing in the vehcile. GM is very silent.
GM invested roughly $2 Billon dollars into the development of the Volt/Ampera. A normal car program costs about $1 Billon to develop. We won't know how much per car untill Gen 1 finishes it's production. And even then we don't know how much of that development cost will be rolled into future versions and other Voltec vehicles.

As for plans to invest into the Vehicle I think GM has been extreamly vocal. Far more so than any other vehicle. Most car companies keep future product plans very close to the chest. GM has a least droped some hints about future changes.

The Cadillac ELR Voltec car has been approved for production and will go into production in probably late 2013 as a 2014 model year car.

http://www.cadillac.com/elr-electric-car.html

We know that the Volt will see a mid cycle enhancement (not a total redesign) for the 2014 model year with a "Voltec version 1.5 powertrain".

We know that GM is allowing factories in Europe to bid for production of a 2016 Voltec vehicle.

And Mark Ruess has been quoted in saying that the price of Voltec will come down gradually over time.

To me this sounds like GM is comitted to Voltec and plan to keep expanding and rolling it out.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Since becoming available in all 50 states, the Chevy Volt is now the number 2 selling alternative vehicle.

More Volts have been sold this year than any other hybrid model except for the Toyota Prius.

Way to go GM!!!

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
An amazing fact from the May sales chart: more Volts were sold than were sold of the entire lineup of Honda hybrids - Civic, CR-Z, Insight, etc.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
We have all heard R&D costs put the Volt at $250,000 cost (which frankly I find BS)
I keep seeing that number thrown around too. Even if it were true at one point, the logic of that is flawed because the number will decrease with each additional Volt that is sold, since you have to divide the development cost by the total number sold, which changes every day. Not only that, but if the drive train is to be used in future vehicles then you have to continue to divide that number for many years or decades into the future.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The Prius C was probably the major driving force behind those sales. Can you even buy a cheaper hybrid than the Prius C?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts