GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what the maximum inverter wattage draw could be @ 12v? I know EV Extend sells a 1500w/3000w system.. can the car handle more? Looking to run a RV roof AC while boondocking.. I think it draws 1200-1800w but I'm not 100% sure.

Thanks!

·
Registered
212 Posts
IMHO I doubt it would be viable. Way too much current draw.
You would do much better to use the RV's generator or if you don't have one, look at the portable Honda Inverter generators. Very quiet and fuel efficient.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Does anyone know what the maximum inverter wattage draw could be @ 12v? I know EV Extend sells a 1500w/3000w system.. can the car handle more? Looking to run a RV roof AC while boondocking.. I think it draws 1200-1800w but I'm not 100% sure.

Thanks!

FWIW: Although the Gen1 APM seems to be rather bullet-proof (very few reported failures), I personally wouldn't risk going beyond the 2000W rating...keep in mind the Gen1 while operating also would eat into this 2000W number...

·
Registered
212 Posts
One must also realize that an A/C unit can draw up to 3 times the rated current when starting. So even if the unit would only draw 1500 watts while running, starting current is going to be probably > 3000 watts and possibly as high as 4500 watts.

·
Registered
907 Posts
You've also gotta look at the inverter power dissipation in the hatch area during load. The APM may be able to cool itself up to 2000W, the inverter may be able to cool itself, but put them together in a small area, and if the hatch is closed, it can start getting pretty warm back there. Many inverters don't handle warm temperatures well, my 1000W inverter manual claims "ideal temperatures are between 50F and 80F". That never happens in a TX summer!

I've personally run Volt + inverter for 26 hours powering home fridge and lighting during a utility outage. I limited the average power draw to around 500W. I wouldn't want to go much higher, regardless of the inverter rating.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
If all you want the electricity for is AC, why not just use the AC in the car?
Hook dryer vent hoses (or similar) up to the vents to pipe the air where you want it to go.
Maybe some small fans to help suck the air through to where you want it to go.

Might seem ridiculous, but perhaps less ridiculous than buying an inverter, heavy gauge wire for the inverter, normal gauge wire to reach your AC, splicing it into your AC unit, and hoping it doesn't fry the APM.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts