GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. Quick question: The Gen1 engine is capable of 55kw generation capacity.

What's the capacity of the Gen2? The GM Website is clear on the Gen1 stats, but for the Gen2 is states "twin-motor arrangement, 110kw". Assuming one of the two motors needs to be generating while the other is providing propulsion, it can't generate 110kw maximum? So exactly how much CAN it generate?

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Keep in mind that the larger motor MGB is used for propulsion and regenerative braking in all modes, and the smaller motor MGA is used for propulsion, and also generating electricity when the range is being extended.

The Wikipedia article on the Chevy Volt lists for the 2012 Volt:
Engine:
1 x 111 kW (149 hp)
1 x 55 kW (74 hp)
the article on the Volt (second generation) for the 2017 :
Engine:
1 x 87 kW (117 hp)
1 x 48 kW (64 hp)

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Indeed, but the actual generation capacity is fuzzy. Was hoping someone with an OBD display setup would be able to tell me what they most they’ve ever seen in generator output. I know it’s more than the Gen1, just curious by how much.

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
The EV display on my 2017 goes to 120KW. The ICEV display goes to 55KW. I have seen 120KW as a digital readout on multiple occasions.

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Are you taking regen through or engine generation?
The 120 and 55 KW readings are when I'm on the throttle. For regeneration, I've seen numbers around -50KW on rare occasion.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts