GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my 2013 Volt exactly 1 year ago in early september. The most I have seen in the morning is 87km (54 miles) of charge on the battery. The other day we went for a ride in the country. I turned on the ICE when we hit the highway, but I love switching it back to battery if there is a good downhill run so that I can add some charge. I soon had it back to the 87km I had when I left. I turned off onto a side road and found myself at the top of a steep hill. I put the Volt back on the battery and coasted and braked down this long, steep and winding road. When I finally got the bottom, the car showed 97km (62 miles) on the battery. It actually hit 97 well before the end of the descent and I concluded that perhaps it was designed to top out at that number for display purposes. I think I actually had more than 97 as I seemed to drive several km before it went down to 96. I eventually used that all up and came home on the ICE. I don't know if such charging can actually increase your battery storage capacity, but the next morning the car showed 91km of charge.

·
Registered
409 Posts
The range is an estimate based not only upon the energy in the battery but also how you have been driving lately, outdoor temperature and possibly a few other factors. So its related to the charge in the battery, but not reflective of the actual charge in the battery.

Also, no need to take the Volt off of hold when rolling down a big hill. It still regnererates charging the battery. Hold is attempting to hold the battery charge from going below the level it was when you switched to hold. While in hold, if you generate extra battery power the ICE will turn off or slow down and use the extra battery power at the appropriate time. When in hold it runs kind of like a hybred, using battery power in some situations, shutting down the ICE.

·
Registered
154 Posts
It doesn't increase the storage capacity, but there is a buffer for regen even at 'full charge'. These numbers may be off a bit (but probably pretty close) because I don't have the real numbers (others here may), but roughly;

For a 2013, 16.5kwh total capacity, but it doesn't allow you to go below about 17% or above about 83%. So call it 3kwh on each end. Full charge therefore is (assuming my numbers are right) 13.5kwh gross capacity (the display will say something around 10.5 - remember there's an unusable 3kwh at the bottom), but, it allows some regen, possibly to 14.0kwh from the full charge. When that buffer is filled up, it's been reported that the car will use the 2 motors against each other to produce drag and dissapate the energy as heat.

So, in a way, you can regen past full.

Mike.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
If you can get down to 17% your doing way better than I can. I have never gotten it below 20.9%, usually 22-22.5%. I can get it up to 85.9% but I have to cheat, once it is fully charged I unplug and restart it a couple of times. That usually gets me from 84 to 85.9. In general I only get 61-62%.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts