GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried this? I'd be interested in dipping my grill the body color, but white diamond tricoat is going to be a difficult match.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Yep, I doubt plastidip comes in pearlescent colors.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
I dipped my rear logo with white then pearlizer. The color match isn't perfect when you look at it carefully in the best light, but most of the time you cannot tell, especially since dirt seems to collect everywhere back there. It's really close enough.

I've been promising to do the rockers in this manner. Maybe this long 4th of July weekend (where my company has graciously given me the 4th and the 5th off. But when I do my wheels, I think I will make them bright white with no pearlizer.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dipped my rear logo with white then pearlizer. The color match isn't perfect when you look at it carefully in the best light, but most of the time you cannot tell, especially since dirt seems to collect everywhere back there. It's really close enough.

I've been promising to do the rockers in this manner. Maybe this long 4th of July weekend (where my company has graciously given me the 4th and the 5th off. But when I do my wheels, I think I will make them bright white with no pearlizer.
I'm still waiting for the pic you promised llninja....

Found out I have a car audio store near me so we'll see what they have/recommend. I'll get the a couple cans of white for sure.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Correct. Just came back from the store and the pearlizer sample seems very close. I was told that white was thinner than black and would probably need twice as many coats.

I'll see if I can get it done this weekend.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Although it's been mentioned several times to warm your dip in hot water (warm paint will have smaller droplets), the guy I talked to yesterday mentioned that he uses a crock pot set to about 120°F for his cans. I think that's a good idea, but both of my crock pots are labeled warm, med, high. Water at 120° is about as hot as you can tolerate so if the can or water is too hot to touch, then probably too hot to use.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
I'm still waiting for the pic you promised llninja....
Here you go..about 6 coats of white then a light coat of pearlier on the bowtie, black plastidip on the lettering.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
Although it's been mentioned several times to warm your dip in hot water (warm paint will have smaller droplets), the guy I talked to yesterday mentioned that he uses a crock pot set to about 120°F for his cans. I think that's a good idea, but both of my crock pots are labeled warm, med, high. Water at 120° is about as hot as you can tolerate so if the can or water is too hot to touch, then probably too hot to use.
I've never warmed my dip before spraying. But I've been taught by the DYC videos to spray thick coats after the initial 50% thin coat. I'll have to try it someday to see if it makes a difference. Alas, this means I'll have to buy a crockpot or move to Texas (BTW, the decision has been made, for those keeping track, I'm not moving to Texas - instead I'm staying in IL where governors are imprisoned and the state government can't balance a budget).

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Very nice. I like it. My badges have been red carbon fiber, but the front one had faded badly in the last 9 month (from at work) and was leaning toward pink, not my favorite color. Did you dip your "Volt" emblem in black or is that just from the lighting conditions?

Buy this crockpot from Amazon. With that and my famous meatball recipe*, you'll be very popular. :cool:

* My in-laws jokingly call my meatballs recipe "an old family recipe". Put a 48oz jar of ChiChi's medium salsa and a 12oz jar of Smuckers Pineapple topping in your brand-new crockpot and add enough meatballs (~1.5 lbs) until the sauce still covers them. Put your crockpot on warm and let it cook overnight, stirring in the morning. If it doesn't taste great, maybe add more Smuckers. For best results, you want small meatballs (no more than 1") and most people I've asked preferred non-Italian seasoned meatballs. The original recipe called for apricot jelly, but you could use anything sweet. I like to cut them in half and eat with some of the sauce. You should be able to come close to doubling your recipe to get a neary full crock. YMMV.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I have a Heather grey 2017 (Loving it) and maybe a few months down the line I will give the Anthracite grey a spin on my wheels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kH7PnZH00RA

The video they have here on the audi looks amazing and I think it would work very well with my dark grey car. The grey, with some glossifier on top, would be a fun weekend project.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have a Heather grey 2017 (Loving it) and maybe a few months down the line I will give the Anthracite grey a spin on my wheels.

The video they have here on the audi looks amazing and I think it would work very well with my dark grey car. The grey, with some glossifier on top, would be a fun weekend project.
I'd be interested in seeing pics of that.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
Did you dip your "Volt" emblem in black or is that just from the lighting conditions?
Read the original post "...black plastidip on the lettering"

Next chance I get, I will dip the lettering and chrome sides plum crazy.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts

Alternatively, you could just buy gray wheels. Here are Sport Edition P4's on my white diamond (the last 2 pics in this set)

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?218073-Post-pictures-of-your-aftermarket-wheel-setups&p=3009001#post3009001

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I used at least 8 coats of white and two of pearl. This is my second dip job and definitely not as nice as my first one (black). If I had a do-over, I'd have used 4 coats of pearl. I also would have used a car wash wand after removing the old dip.

The color is too light and if I don't start over, I'll probably redo the badge in red carbon fiber again.

2016-07-03 16.18.24-1.jpg

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
I used at least 8 coats of white and two of pearl. This is my second dip job and definitely not as nice as my first one (black). If I had a do-over, I'd have used 4 coats of pearl. I also would have used a car wash wand after removing the old dip.

The color is too light and if I don't start over, I'll probably redo the badge in red carbon fiber again.

View attachment 113138
Agreed, my black dips came out much better than the white. It seemed to come out thicker.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts