GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was trying to drive down to Everett WA this afternoon, when the Volt started acting up.

Symptoms:
  1. No heat from heater. Cold toes.
  2. Put car in 'Hold' mode to run engine for more heat
  3. Still no heat. Really cold toes.
  4. Dashboard message: Engine Overheating! Reduce Speed!
  5. Oh well, at least something is warm
Well, shoot. I was only 20 miles from home, so I put the car back on 'normal' mode and drove home on battery. We were an hour late at that point, so I didn't look into the problem any further. We just jumped in the Silverado and went to Everett and back. During that drive, I wondered what might cause those symptoms. Bad waterpump? Coolant level problem? Head gasket? Too many possibilities. I figured I would wait until I got back and then take a quick look under the hood.

At which point, the problem was obvious.

I hate mice!!!!
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,765 Posts
It doesn't look like a mouse could even get his mouth around that coolant hose connector. Squirrel, skunk or porcupine perhaps?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,488 Posts
Some rats can get pretty big.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,488 Posts
Yep, was thinking chipmunks or something. Coolant is sweet, right?
Sweet and poisonous. So much for that rodent, the problem is for every one you see...….
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,765 Posts
There was an incident involving an early Gen 1 Volt that had been parked in an underground garage, I believe it was in Chicago. A rat ate through some of the wiring, not the coolant line, disabling the vehicle.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
20,218 Posts
Friend of mine hat squirrels destroy hos VW wiring harness. Extensive and expensive damage. Over $6k and a couple months to redo all the wiring.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
782 Posts
Damn squirrels that keep eating through the wiring for my solar panels. How lovely that this is also a possibility.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
129 Posts
I've heard of rodent damage to vehicles for years. It's not unique to the Volt. Big damage is done. I'd be concerned by what's NOT visible

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh, for sure there could be more damage. We live out in a forested rural area so sadly, it is not my first experience with rodents:

One day as I left the house, my truck was behaving very badly: running horribly, shifting gears with obvious abruptness. All dashboard gauges were OK, but my GPS has a temp gauge connected to the diagnostic bus, and it said that the engine temp was -40, even though it was a nice day outside. It's amazing how badly a diesel will run when the computer thinks it is the wrong temperature! I traced that problem back to one of the water temp sensors, where a mouse ate through the wire *just* before it disappeared into the wiring harness. I was just barely able to solder it back together without cutting into the harness and the truck ran perfectly again.

Later, a mouse ate through the oil level sensor and the truck believed I had no oil until that wire got fixed. It sent me lots of panicky warning lights in the meantime though.

Another time, I got an error code that the truck's my mass airflow sensor was acting up. Turns out that a mouse ate a big hole right through the air filter. Bits of mouse nest and air filter had gone downstream and clogged up the mass airflow sensor. I had dreams of the mouse getting sucked downstream into the turbocharger blades, but it probably didn't happen. I was able to clean the MAF instead of replacing it. The air filter housing is such a popular place for mice that I keep a mini bait station right inside the air filter housing now. It has helped a lot, but last week I was driving through town and a mouse popped its head out from under the hood at the base of the windshield and gave me the stink eye. And not the first time for that either: once, I was able to use the windshield wipers to flip a mouse off the windshield.

The funniest time was once when I went to do a maintenance check the air filter on my previous truck. That truck was an old-style 1990's Chevy V8 with a big round air cleaner and snorkel. I popped the top, and saw that the entire space between the air filter and the housing was packed full of mouse nest. I mean, it was packed so full it was like it was all made of felt. The engine had been breathing though a space on the air cleaner about the size of a quarter, and yet I could not even tell. It reinforced my beliefs that mice are bad, and electronic fuel injection is the best. Yay computers!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,675 Posts
Looks like rat damage.

I’ve had a few issues with them too. One chewed through some nice Magnacore plug wires in my old Porsche. Turns out they made a nest in the space between the radiator and front bumper. I had to remove the front nose panel to get in there and clean all the ‘crud’ out. On our Volt, one chewed through the illuminated charge port wiring behind the fender. I still need to fix it.

Good old fashioned Victor rat traps work great. Rats love nuts. So bait the trap with a bit of peanut butter flavor Clif Bar. It is thick enough that the rat has to work a bit to dislodge it - springing the trap during the effort.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
974 Posts
Very recently worked on one of our farm pickups. It is a Dodge. It wouldn't start running even though it was turning over nicely.
We had some doubt about the fuel pump.
After checking the wiring at the gas tank, found every single fuel pump wire was chewed off (right at the connector), and the harness dangled.
Just a nub left, was barely able to solder the wires, and heat shrink the connections.
I suspect squirrels.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
I had a mouse chew through the top of the brake master cylinder on one of my Lotus one time. I wasn’t too happy.

I tried the electronic ‘deterrent’ boxes- didn’t seem to do anything. But the electric trap worked great. Stores a high voltage charge, rodent goes in for the bait and gets electrocuted.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top