GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife was driving her Volt last Friday in 106 deg heat when she got a CEL. The codes showed P0101 and P0102, which both relate to the mass air flow sensor. I checked the air filter, and it looks essentially new. I saw some info that said that this could be caused by high outside temperature.

Anyone sen this before?

Thanks,
Ron

Volt 1: White 2012 #4038 “VOLT EDG”
Volt 2: Crystal Red 2012 # 15079 “ONE VOLT”

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Took the car to the dealer today, since the error code had not disappeared. They quickly found a bad wire on the mass air flow sensor -- a repair while you wait problem. Nice easy fix.

Ron

Volt 1: White 2012 #4038 “VOLT EDG”
Volt 2: Crystal Red 2012 # 15079 “ONE VOLT”

·
Registered
52 Posts
P0101 error code, Mass Air Flow sensor, recurrent

I have a 2011 Volt with nearly 147,000 miles. Since June 2016, I have had the P0101 error code happen a half dozen times. The first time it happened, I was driving in Ontario at 100 km/hr and the cruise control suddenly deactivated while I was on flat or gently rolling hills on a 75-80 degree day. I finished my trip and brought my 2011 Volt in and the Mass Air Sensor and several filters were changed and a new 12 Volt battery was installed. The car was fine for a few days and I got the same error code. The service worker said that it was "probably a loose wire" when I brought it in for a few days for repair. He told me that they had checked all the connections, nothing was found, and the car was working fine. I had the car for a few days and the same problem happened again. This time, I was not able to bring the Volt in right away and, after a few days, the error code reset and the problem was gone. I have since gone through about 3 or 4 more such cycles: P0101 error code pops up while driving on ICE mode, then after a few days of charging, the code clears spontaneously. Yesterday, it happened again, this time with a second code, P0102.

I saw this comment on the linked thread where there was a discussion of P0101 and P0111 so I am not sure which error the author was referring to: "I actually have run into this problem before, and a faulty sensor is often not the cause. When you return for service, have the technician check the wiring just behind the connector of the intake air sensor. I've seen the wires break inside the insulation and create an open for the iat/maf circuits. It's easily missed because the wires are covered by heavy tape. Once the tape is removed, using a small screwdriver, give each wire a gentle tug away from the connector body. If one of the wires breaks, the connector will have to be replaced."

I called a Volt Advisor and there are no service bulletins that she could find. Looking on the Internet, I see that this error code has been seen in many different models of cars from several manufacturers. Does anyone have any comments that might increase the chances that I will get this fixed for good when I take it in the next time?

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
P0101 can me triggered intermittently by a contaminated mass airflow sensor. This often occurs soon after replacing your air filter and a bit of debris/fuzz gets past the filter and gets statically attracted to the sensor elements. This creates a disturbance in the lamination of the airflow and can insulate the sensing element and create an incorrect airflow measurement that is detected by certain newer "rationality" based OBDII diagnostics. (on some cars even an unseated oil dipstick can trigger codes)

I would start with a simple careful cleaning the MAF hot-wire or sensing element. Here's a fairly good YouTube video that outlines the basic process
https://youtu.be/_TO7ZC5N-aA

I usually use GM Brake-Kleen (done hundreds) but there are companies (like CRC) that have brought out specific MAF cleaning chemical sprays that have been allegedly tested to not be harmful to the sensor or leave any sort of residue.

BTW P0111 is a completely different issue and not really related to mass airflow measurement. In that case cleaning likely wont help as it's a DTC related to the inlet air temperature sensor that just happens to reside in SOME mass airflow sensors. There are a few older threads on this DTC however as there was a software issue causing false triggering of P0111 that necessitated a software update.

HTH
WOT

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks, WopOnTour,

Your tip and the You Tube video were just what I needed. It took me longer to find the correct size Torx driver in my toolboxes than it did to pop off the 2 Torx screws, the one hose clamp and the two filter cover clips. The MAF itself was a little tricky to remove. The can of CRC MAF cleaner I bought for about $9 should last a lifetime for small the amount that I actually used.

I did the fix on Sunday but the Service Engine symbol stayed on until today, Thursday. I suppose that this is because I have not driven more than a couple miles on gasoline this week so the sensor has not had much of a chance to update. Yesterday, I only used 0.03 gallons of gas, going on the ICE with less than a mile to go before arriving home. Today, the Service Engine symbol was off after my overnight charge. I did drive about 25 miles on the ICE late in the day and, so far, the Service Engine light has stayed off.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this thread is old but still wanted to thank you for posting this. I had the same problem and that was the fix. Thank you!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same problem. I had P0101 P0102 P0113 P0114 and I checked the mass flow sensor and like 2 people mentioned - there was a loose wire at the connector for the mass flow sensor (actually that part has 2 sensors which is what gave the latter 2 codes). It was just barely hanging on and when I twisted the connector to get a better look at it, it snapped. I repaired the wire with a soldering iron and now I need to drive it to find out if I fixed it, but very likely that was the problem. The wire was just barely hanging on. I'm sure it was intermittent.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Update - it has been 3 weeks and the trouble codes have not come back (the gas engine was indeed used during that time frame). It was definitely that wire.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts