GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
14,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just like last year, the Illinois Solar Energy Association is holding a raffle for a Tesla. Buy early, buy often

http://store.illinoissolar.org

Full disclosure, I am in no way affiliated with this organization, just looking for a way to get a cheap Tesla. This is my 3rd raffle, so I’m in it for $300 so far. Alas, if I win, the taxes will be a pain, but that’s a good problem to have. My wife wants a blue one so if they won’t give me a choice, i’ll take the cash and order exactly what we want.

·
Administrator
21,042 Posts
You decreased your odds by posting here. :)

They won't be getting my money, but I hope you win!

·
Registered
412 Posts
Nice to see you back and best of luck with your Tesla fantasy. I don't expect to ever need a Tesla. No wannabe here!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Congrats on your donation!
But not so fast on Tesla wannabes. My Volt is tops , giving me the best of both worlds. At this moment in time and for several years to come any fully electric car has real limits as to how it can be used. The Volt has no limits as to how it can be used. The perfect vehicle is one that can do anything, anytime, anywhere. I am talking about maximum utility. That is why the full size 4 door trucks from Chevy and Ford are so popular. If you own one you never have to say...."I can't do that with my vehicle" My wannabe is a Silverado with 40 to 50 mile light duty electric range. Put me down for one as soon GM gets it ready.

·
Registered
14,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You decreased your odds by posting here. :)

They won't be getting my money, but I hope you win!
Odds? Not really. The rules of the raffle are:
1. No more than 2500 tickets sold
2. Any fewer than 2400 tickets means no Tesla will be given away, they will do a 50/50 drawing with the remaining entries.

So getting to 2400 tickets sold is more important than trying to keep the ticket count low.

·
Registered
14,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Nice to see you back and best of luck with your Tesla fantasy. I don't expect to ever need a Tesla. No wannabe here!
I don’t need a Tesla. But I’ve always wanted one.

I’m not really back... more of a cameo appearance. I refuse to post on every thread like I was a month ago

·
Registered
14,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Congrats on your donation!
But not so fast on Tesla wannabes. My Volt is tops , giving me the best of both worlds. At this moment in time and for several years to come any fully electric car has real limits as to how it can be used. The Volt has no limits as to how it can be used. The perfect vehicle is one that can do anything, anytime, anywhere. I am talking about maximum utility. That is why the full size 4 door trucks from Chevy and Ford are so popular. If you own one you never have to say...."I can't do that with my vehicle" My wannabe is a Silverado with 40 to 50 mile light duty electric range. Put me down for one as soon GM gets it ready.
No limits you say? Try 2 adults, 2 grown kids, and luggage for 4... my volt can’t handle that. For me, the ultimate vehicle would be a Voltec Subyukonade.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I told my wife my gen2 Volt was my last car (for a long time). I would like to drive it till it drops. With grownup kids, the gen2 Volt size is ideal for us. I drive nearly 100% electric locally, except for road trips. When I drive out of town, usually there's a hotel or B&B where we can plug in overnight. So far its 88% EV so far, and about 41mpg ICE; 9000 miles total. That's pretty close to ideal for me.

Oh, and its plenty fast enough off the line too. I'm very proud to own a gen2 Volt. I just read this link http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?302697-Wifes-turns-Volt-buy-into-Bolt-EV-Premier Maybe someday my wife will trade in her Mazda for a Bolt.

·
Registered
59 Posts
No way. The current Teslas are overpriced status symbols. The problem with getting status from a car is that (a) anyone who judges or values you based on the car you drive is generally trash and (b) the whole point of these cars was conservation, not excess.

I went the extra mile and purchased a used 2013 Volt to be extra environmentally friendly.

If you drive a Tesla, you're an insecure d*uche who gets laughed at and mocked behind your back.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Just like last year, the Illinois Solar Energy Association is holding a raffle for a Tesla. Buy early, buy often

http://store.illinoissolar.org

Full disclosure, I am in no way affiliated with this organization, just looking for a way to get a cheap Tesla. This is my 3rd raffle, so I’m in it for $300 so far. Alas, if I win, the taxes will be a pain, but that’s a good problem to have. My wife wants a blue one so if they won’t give me a choice, i’ll take the cash and order exactly what we want.
Hope you win.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I plan to keep my Volt until at least 2022, but if I were to win a FIAT Spyder, I could find room for it. No Tesla can meet my needs.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I don’t need a Tesla. But I’ve always wanted one.

I’m not really back... more of a cameo appearance. I refuse to post on every thread like I was a month ago
All the same, good to hear from you. Now if only Raymond would check in with us...

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
I'm driving my 2017 as a DD, have almost 11K miles in a year of ownership and I'm operating over 97% of the time all electric. So I guess I have 97% of a Tesla at 40% of the cost. That's a fair trade for me.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
I think it is a nice car and would happily drive one, but no car seems worth that price to me. I'd rather have the cash.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
We strongly considered a Tesla in early 2014.
But then logic kicked in.
We found a great deal on a new 2013 Volt. Then when we had to add a car, we added a 2016 in 2015. Then added a 2017 a year ago.

All told, we have 3 drivers using Volts for more than 90% EV driving for less than a single nicely equipped 2014 Tesla would have cost, but we would have still had to add two more cars.

So our 'Tesla' is actually 3 Volts and they have treated us well.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts