GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to throw this out there and see if anyone else has had these issues on a new 2017 Volt. My car wa built on the 2nd week in April '16 and right off the truck and into my hands at the end of April. The first issue I ran into was a bump in the rotor which was hitting the brake pad on the drivers rear wheel. I brought it in day 2 and they had to order a new rotor which they kindly replaced and all was well.

2 weeks later and I noticed what looked like an oil spot on my garage floor. After moving the car out, I noticed 3 oil spots. I took a photo of the underneath of the cR to see if I could determine if the issue was a loose oil filter or something more sinister. It appeared that oil was seeping from the oil pan, but I couldn't be sure of the source so I called my neighborhood Chevy mechanic again and brought the car in (Tuesday this week) and as it turns out, it was the oil pan seal. An hour later, I was back in the car and on my way. The service advisor told me that it was the 2nd volt he saw that day for the exact same issue. The other was a '16 with 11k miles on it and mine had only 420 miles.

Hmm... Do I smell a recall? GM - are you paying attention? It seems that quality control is lacking a bit and it's a bit shocking considering this is a $40,000 car. I would expect more attention to quality.

Has anyone else run into the oil pan issue?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have had my car for 6 weeks now.
After 2 weeks of ownership, my car broke down on the way home from work.
Service told me the main power line from the main fuse box was not installed properly from factory going to the power supply.

On Friday, I'm dropping off the car to fix an issue with the USB ports, which are not working properly and the windows lock button doesn't work.

I've owned 2 Prii (3rd gen and Plug In) before this car and never had to take either one in for repairs.

I like the car a lot and I like it more than the Prius but I'm not happy so far with having to take the car in to service twice in 6 weeks.
Hopefully, I won't have anymore issues.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
No issues for me, been flawless.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I have had my car for 6 weeks now.
After 2 weeks of ownership, my car broke down on the way home from work.
Service told me the main power line from the main fuse box was not installed properly from factory going to the power supply.

On Friday, I'm dropping off the car to fix an issue with the USB ports, which are not working properly and the windows lock button doesn't work.

I've owned 2 Prii (3rd gen and Plug In) before this car and never had to take either one in for repairs.

I like the car a lot and I like it more than the Prius but I'm not happy so far with having to take the car in to service twice in 6 weeks.
Hopefully, I won't have anymore issues.
I bought and still own a 2007 Prius. We bought the top-of-the-line with every single option available - a very nice car at the time w/leather and Touring model ( stiffer springs "Euro-tuned suspension" one inch larger diameter wheels and tires and a larger spoiler on back. - I did a customer walk-around at the dealer and everything looked good, but the next day the flaws started sticking out. First, the black plastic trim below the back bumper did not fit properly at the seams. It looked like the middle section was warped! Second, I noticed the center console rattled and had "play" in it when I set my elbow down to rest on it. Next, I noticed a big gap between the lower glovebox and the dash, I kept getting glimpses of the light inside in the dark - it seemed to stay on. The front passenger seat developed a nasty rattle. The seats seemed bolted on tight, so I just fiddled and fiddled ...and fiddled some more with seat angle, seat position and such until I had enough - rattles drive me bonkers. Next was the B pillar. The plastic trim piece was dull and didn't match the front trim pieces. I used Armor All on it hoping to shine it up a tad, but instead it created kind of a permanent dullness that wouldn't come off with Armor All cleaner, soap nor water. Some odd chemical reaction happened and to this day those B pillars stick out as looking "not quite right". Next, the Airbag labels sewed onto the leather seats up front were crooked. I'm kind of fussy, who when things are crooked, I notice. Not such a huge deal...But I paid nicely for a top-line car and this is what I got - Made in Japan and all!

Mechanically, our Prius uses oil. This is an issue modern automakers deal with in their owner's manuals. They say the car can use as much as 1-3 quarts of oil IN-BETWEEN OIL CHANGES. They do this to cover their butts. It is well known over at PriusChat.com that some Prius came off the line with poor tolerances in their engines. Owners of those cars need to add oil between oil changes. We got one of those. I add oil every couple weeks, and once -I procrastinated and the oil loss was severe! We have friends who are the types that never open the hood. Their Prius' engine blew up - It ran out of oil!
----
I was part of the HID headlight debacle too. To refresh your memory - This happened right in the shadow of the whole "unintended acceleration - "Toyota has lost it's way" quote to U.S. Congress by Toyota CEO Akio Toyoda - situation. During that time, consumer boards across the internet began lighting up re: Prii with HID headlight option. They'd complain that the headlights would flicker, and go out just about at 36,000 miles or when the factory warranty expired. To fix - replace headlights, you have to literally remove the entire front of the car. Dealers were charging thousands to fix the lights! Now if that isn't a safety recall, I don't know what is...But instead, Toyota sends out a consumer education letter stating that HID headlights were heat-sensitive and not to "cycle" them...In other words, don't switch them off, go inside a store and come out a few minutes later and turn them on! So what do we do - leave lights on when you go inside someplace?!!! It was all totally bogus. Toyota was charging customers to replace a $275.00 headlight ballast, but wrote that they would now charge $100 less, yet it turned out the ballast was not the cause, but factory-flawed HID bulbs. Actually, I didn't order the HIDs, they came as part of the Touring package. Even though Toyota was taking the biggest PR and reputation hit in had in it's history, they still stood against the customers asking Toyota to fix the light problem. Instead, Toyota waited until 2 class-action lawsuits appeared - one on each coast...re: the headlight situation. Finally, Toyota caved and added two years to the headlights as a special warranty extension. When I first read about the infamous HIDs, I stopped using them in rainy, stormy weather and instructed my wife to baby the headlights. It worked. We came up to exactly the time when the 2 year extension was to end - and I didn't want to lie to my service guy just to avoid paying for lights I knew would break...But luckily they did start to flicker and fail so I took them in for Toyota covered replacement. I was then told that the warranty was not just time but miles...And I JUST HAD GONE 100 MILES OVER!!! - Thus, I would be charged $779.00 per light to fix!!! I argued and called Toyota customer care, and they relented - fixing the lights and only charging me for part of the labor..... They should've paid for everything.... One day, after the 2010 3rd gen Prius came out, I asked my service guy ( honest guy! ) if Toyota had resolved the HID headlight issue for the new model. ------ He actually hung his head in disgust and said, "I'm not able to tell you professionally"...Which was his honest way of saying TOYOTA PUT THE BAD LIGHTS IN THE NEW ITERATION OF THE PRIUS TOO!

So we can't say Toyota is immune to stuff like this. It is fact that every new car sold has an average of 3 factory flaws that need to be
addressed by the dealer. Most of my issues above were solved on warranty, except the B pillars and the crooked AIRBAG labels. Those flaws you live with because you know you purchased a billion dollars of R & D, and the batteries are expensive. So you take the cheap-ish interior and lightweight nature of the car in stride - knowing you bought the tech.

I think some of this bares true with Volt also. It is a technical marvel. Yes, it has butt-cheap plastic fantastic door panels in back and some hard plastics. So far, however - compared to my Toyota Prius experience , and that of our friends...You're smelling like a rose with your Volt! Here's to years and years of faithful reliable service from the EREV/PHEV who'se efficiency and performance puts all Prius to shame. :)

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
I would think that any issues with 2017 MY Volts would also have appeared in 2016 MY Volts. There aren't a lot of those but we should still be seeing a pattern. If there is a consistent problem you'd also expect GM to catch that. My guess with the OP's two problems is one problem during production and one during transport.

We've had several problems with our ELR when we first got it. The biggest was with C.U.E., which was also the easiest to fix. Just a software update. But once those were sorted it's been trouble free.

I don't think there is any question that the Prius has an outstanding record on the reliability front. It's better than the Volt's but not by leaps and bounds. Pretty close actually.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
I believe you are the first one to report a bad oil pan seal, so it's a long ways from a recall...
The brake rotor was a defect that should have been caught by the supplier. Obviously it's impossible to catch every manufacturing defect though.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
*snip*

Hmm... Do I smell a recall? GM - are you paying attention? It seems that quality control is lacking a bit and it's a bit shocking considering this is a $40,000 car. I would expect more attention to quality.

Sounds like overkill.

Enjoy the new car.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Was just thinking, maybe you got one of the first US engines? But if the dealer said a 2016 had the same problem we know that one was built in Mexico...

·
Registered
260 Posts
About two weeks and 500+ miles on my 2017 so far. Actually, just this morning I had something odd happen. I drove to a dr. appt before going to work. When I came back to my car after the appt, I heard a buzzing sound coming from the speakers, before I even closed the door (so the "My Chevrolet" didn't boot up yet). I HAD been listening to the radio on the way, so it sounded like some sort of glitch to me. I'll keep my ear out for it again, but has anyone else experienced audio weirdness?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Six plus weeks of 2017 ownership that now has 900 miles. Almost all on battery. Hatch lid a little hard to shut and no adjustment left, otherwise no problems.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Six plus weeks of 2017 ownership that now has 900 miles. Almost all on battery. Hatch lid a little hard to shut and no adjustment left, otherwise no problems.
The hatch closing gets easier. I think it is because the rubber baby buggy bumpers flatten on the ends a little...or maybe the operator learns subconsciously to close the hatch harder ;)

·
Registered
716 Posts
Yes, my 2016 also has a significant oil leak. In fact, here is the list of problems outstanding:
1. Oil pan leak
2. Engine misfire recall
3. No tire inflator kit recall
4. Loud, annoying, constant dash rattle

The dash rattle is driving me nuts. It's in the top surface above the dash, near the charging indicator lamp. I need the car this weekend so will take it in next week.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Had my '17 for about a month. No problems, no rattles, no leaks. Just as solid as my '12 was.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Had my '17 for about a month. No problems, no rattles, no leaks. Just as solid as my '12 was.
Same here (going on 3 weeks) for my '17 as compared to my prior '13.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would love to know if your dealer will be able to resolve the issue with your USB ports.
My USB ports also stopped working in my 2017. I called my dealer and was told that they sub-contract a company to come in and fix the ports and the replacement part is on B/O. (Over 3 weeks already, mind you I am in Canada..)

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
I just wanted to throw this out there and see if anyone else has had these issues on a new 2017 Volt. My car wa built on the 2nd week in April '16 and right off the truck and into my hands at the end of April. The first issue I ran into was a bump in the rotor which was hitting the brake pad on the drivers rear wheel. I brought it in day 2 and they had to order a new rotor which they kindly replaced and all was well.

2 weeks later and I noticed what looked like an oil spot on my garage floor. After moving the car out, I noticed 3 oil spots. I took a photo of the underneath of the cR to see if I could determine if the issue was a loose oil filter or something more sinister. It appeared that oil was seeping from the oil pan, but I couldn't be sure of the source so I called my neighborhood Chevy mechanic again and brought the car in (Tuesday this week) and as it turns out, it was the oil pan seal. An hour later, I was back in the car and on my way. The service advisor told me that it was the 2nd volt he saw that day for the exact same issue. The other was a '16 with 11k miles on it and mine had only 420 miles.

No...I think you have one of those cars made on a Monday Morning or Friday Afternoon...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
39 Posts
I would love to know if your dealer will be able to resolve the issue with your USB ports.
My USB ports also stopped working in my 2017. I called my dealer and was told that they sub-contract a company to come in and fix the ports and the replacement part is on B/O. (Over 3 weeks already, mind you I am in Canada..)
I'll let you know. Most of the time it works fine. Sometimes it won't work at all until I turn the car off and back on again and what seems to happen at least once each trip, I lose audio for 10-15 sec. in the middle of a song.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts