1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
110 Posts
I believe GM has stated they were already around $90 Kwh.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
I don't know about GM's already being at $90/kWh, but I do know that last year, Mary Barra stated that they were targeting $100/kWh for the next generation of GM electric vehicles.

Battery prices might bottom out at $50/kWh in 2025, but I highly doubt they will stay that low for long. At some point, battery prices are going to find an equilibrium point. Both demand (likely reaching TWh globally) and resource constraints will force battery values to remain fairly high.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Battery prices might bottom out at $50/kWh in 2025, but I highly doubt they will stay that low for long. At some point, battery prices are going to find an equilibrium point. Both demand (likely reaching TWh globally) and resource constraints will force battery values to remain fairly high.
Don't know about resource restraints. Lithium is plentiful and given its position in the periodic table unlikely to soon have a better replacement. Cobalt is not plentiful and they are going full blast trying to find ways to minimize its use and finding cheaper more plentiful replacements. Lithium batteries are currently recyclable with up to 80 to 90% recovery of components (lithium and cobalt) and I'm sure that can only go up with better techniques. That being said there is always a possibility in longer term some better way to store power.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Don't know about resource restraints. Lithium is plentiful and given its position in the periodic table unlikely to soon have a better replacement. Cobalt is not plentiful and they are going full blast trying to find ways to minimize its use and finding cheaper more plentiful replacements. Lithium batteries are currently recyclable with up to 80 to 90% recovery of components (lithium and cobalt) and I'm sure that can only go up with better techniques. That being said there is always a possibility in longer term some better way to store power.
Yes, lithium is plentiful, but it is harder to gather because it is so disbursed. Cobalt is the biggest concern, both for its availability and the practices used to gather much of it. Either way, we are already seeing an increase in price with as the world struggles to make less than 100 GWh of batteries a year. Increasing that production 10 fold could make for some interesting economic consequences. That's all I'm saying.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts