GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have owned my 2018 Volt for 1 year. Since the fob is also 1 year old, as a precaution I decided to try to manually unlock the driver's door from the outside using the hidden key simulating a dead fob (or a dead 12v battery). The manual states as follows:

To access the driver door key lock
cylinder:
1. Pull the door handle (1) to the
open position and hold it open
until cap removal is complete.
2. Insert the key into the slot (3)
on the bottom of the cap (2)
and lift the key upward.
3. Move the cap (2) rearward and
remove.
4. Use the key in the cylinder.

I was unsuccessful in this task. Even with a 3rd hand from an assistant holding the door handle in the open position for me, I was unable to move the cap while lifting the key. What am I missing? Perhaps I am "lifting the key upward" wrongly. Is it a strong lift? Straight up or in an upward lever action? Just grab the cap and pull rearward? How? Can someone make a little video of this sequence? Or can someone explain it a little more clearly?

Thanks...

·
Registered
130 Posts
Thanks for the video. I would have never figured that out on my own in a dark parking spot in the middle of the night. Particularly with my manual locked inside the car. I wonder why Chevy felt it appropriate to make this simple task so difficult and non-intuitive? By the time my FOB battery goes dead, I will have forgotten what this video said.:)

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Thanks for the video. I would have never figured that out on my own in a dark parking spot in the middle of the night. Particularly with my manual locked inside the car. I wonder why Chevy felt it appropriate to make this simple task so difficult and non-intuitive? By the time my FOB battery goes dead, I will have forgotten what this video said.:)
Nah, the fob batteries only last for about two years. You'll still remember. :)

·
Registered
669 Posts
I remember well the day I picked up my brand new 2017 Volt Premier. My salesman was trying to show me how to wrestle that cover off the door handle and couldn't do it. He finally called someone out of the service dept to show us how to do it. All I could think of was whether or not they were going to break something...or would I break something when the time comes and I need to get in manually.
Definitely wish they had an easier system.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Yes, though mine (Gen 1) doesn't send/receive battery level information when just using the passive function. Only pressing a fob button will tell the car the state of the battery.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Like most battery remote control items you will see a reduced range as the batteries get wonky

The batteries have a 5-10 year shelf life so keep a few in glove / arm rest box.

I think I got 3+ years on mine

I did notice after 7+ years the fob buttons now press with less force and taking out the trash now can lock/unlock as I walk.

May blame the Corduroy Pants --- voopa-voopa

·
Registered
171 Posts
Thanks for posting the video. Tomorrow will be the start of the 3rd week that I have had my 2017 Volt. I would have never figured this out just from reading the manual. After seeing the video I will be replacing the batteries in both fobs tomorrow.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.