GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been unable to figure out how to get the climate control to act how I would like it to when remote starting a Gen2 Volt.

For comparison's sake, in the Gen1 Volt, it was easy: Remote Start would turn on climate control at the setting it was at when the car was turned off. If the fan speed was last set to off, Remote Start would run at Auto fan speed. Pretty straightforward.

In the Gen2 Volt, if the car is set to Auto vent selection and Auto fan speed, Remote Start climate control blows air out of the defrosting vents. This is somewhere between ineffective (I want my seats and seating area to be cool, not my dash and windshield area) and useless (if I have a sunshade up, the air blows between the sunshade and the windshield, which gets my windshield nice and frosty but does nothing for the rest of the car).

I have tried setting Auto fan speed and manual front vents when I shut the car down, but it seems to turn off auto fan speed on Remote Start, meaning that cool air just trickles out of the vents.

I really would like to avoid having to manually set the A/C to max fan+front vents every time I get out of the car. Has anyone figured out a more elegant solution?

·
Registered
200 Posts
I experienced the vent thing in my gen 1 a few days ago. I had my temp set to 74, when I came out of the office I discovered that it had been blowing all of the cold air out of the defrost. I changed my temp to 72, and the issue has not occurred again.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I too have experienced this with my Gen1, 2013 Volt. Without reason the HVAC on remote start was blowing cold air as to be expected (hot day) but "all" airflow was being directed through the defroster vents and zero from the dash vents. (setting is always left in auto / comfort @ 75 deg.) It has happened more than once but goes away on it's own and may not reoccur for months at a time. Does not seem to be any pattern to the occurrences that come to mind or were noticeable.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
I have been unable to figure out how to get the climate control to act how I would like it to when remote starting a Gen2 Volt.

For comparison's sake, in the Gen1 Volt, it was easy: Remote Start would turn on climate control at the setting it was at when the car was turned off. If the fan speed was last set to off, Remote Start would run at Auto fan speed. Pretty straightforward.

In the Gen2 Volt, if the car is set to Auto vent selection and Auto fan speed, Remote Start climate control blows air out of the defrosting vents. This is somewhere between ineffective (I want my seats and seating area to be cool, not my dash and windshield area) and useless (if I have a sunshade up, the air blows between the sunshade and the windshield, which gets my windshield nice and frosty but does nothing for the rest of the car).

I have tried setting Auto fan speed and manual front vents when I shut the car down, but it seems to turn off auto fan speed on Remote Start, meaning that cool air just trickles out of the vents.

I really would like to avoid having to manually set the A/C to max fan+front vents every time I get out of the car. Has anyone figured out a more elegant solution?
Agree with caleb above, you didn't mention your temp setting?
Also full AUTO functionality requires the AUTO led be lit (not one of the semi-auto modes where simply auto blower OR Auto mode is engaged) is it? If not, try just hitting the AUTO button when exiting? (if not in AUTO mode due to some manual override that took place)
HTH
WOT

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Temp setting is always 72.
I have tried shutting off the car in both full auto (i.e. both auto lights lit, for vent control and fan speed) and just auto fan speed + front vents manually selected.

In full auto, I am getting defrost air on Remote Start; in manual vent + auto fan, Remote Start is using minimal fan speed (and auto fan speed is off after getting in the car and pushing the start button).

I'd also like to reemphasize that I never had this issue in the Gen1. When I had the temp set to 75 (on, say, an unseasonably warm winter day in NorCal), it would blow weak A/C, but setting it to 72 always had the A/C blowing appropriately cool.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts