GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
20,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
“It’s a hard car to get and I wanted a red one,” Fromm said. “I think I wrote to every dealer within 125 miles of Rochester and there’s 9 red cars around and only 2 of them are for sale.”

http://www.newzjunky.com/news/0512chevy_volt.htm

I laugh every time I see someone post that no one wants to buy a Volt. We have stories of at least two people flying cross country and driving back through a snowstorm, and Mr Fromm here riding 60 miles on his bike. I'm sure there are more.

·
Registered
213 Posts
“It’s a hard car to get and I wanted a red one,” Fromm said. “I think I wrote to every dealer within 125 miles of Rochester and there’s 9 red cars around and only 2 of them are for sale.”

http://www.newzjunky.com/news/0512chevy_volt.htm

I laugh every time I see someone post that no one wants to buy a Volt. We have stories of at least two people flying cross country and driving back through a snowstorm, and Mr Fromm here riding 60 miles on his bike. I'm sure there are more.
I agree! Best car you can lease for very small payments and packed with all that technology.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
Nice story, but really - the 60 mile ride for him (on a recumbant) is really not a big deal. He's a cyclist and is used to riding long miles. He's not young as I was back in college, but I did go to school in Rochester NY as well and did participate in our cycling club and did a lot of races. WE would typically ride 50 miles after classes and before dinner (was about a 3 hour ride). One time, I did a solo ride for fun from Rochester to Springwater and back (75 mile or so trip) after school.

Best thing about roads in the area around Rochester and surrounding towns is the roads all have substantial shoulders on them. GREAT for cycling. We have crappy roads in PA for the most part except in the Amish country area where the shoulders are wider to help with the horse and buggy traffic. No shoulder on most roads near me. One of the reasons I gave up cycling (other reasons are wife and kids and work...)

Anyway - his ride to the dealer on a recumbant would be a piece of cake :) Especially since the prevailing wind is West to East and he'd have help the whole way. The real story is getting the Volt - that was excellent to see. Nice to see the cars are starting to pop up in upstate NY now.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Great story. Reminds me of the commercial "what would you do for a klondike bar." Also reminds me a bit of my story. I had a 1999 Toyota Avalon since 2001. Heard about the Volt in 2007-ish, and knew that was the car for me. I've held of getting a replacement car ever since. Fast forward to spring 2010, I hit a deer which took out my fron grill, a headlight, a parking light and front end smashed in. 2 months later, the transmission was going bad. In fact the repair shop said it was "shot". I limped along driving that busted up front end, shot transmission 200,000+ miles Avalon to work for a few months then got an (electric) bike ( http://epluselectricbike.com/buy-bikes-online/electric-commuter-bikes/e-surly-big-dummy ) and put a pre-order in for a Volt in September.

With only very few exceptions, I rode that electric bike throughout the winter, about 15 miles each way to work (30 miles/day) in 10-20 degree weather at 5 o'clock sometimes earlier in the morning with ski mask and literally 7 layers of shirts riding at times on icy bike trails where I was the only rider. Even got in a bike accident with a car once, tossed about 15 feet onto the sidewalk and had to have the fork replaced. Knowing that if I broke down mentally and backed out of my Volt order buying a gas powered car it'd be YEARS before I'd be "ready" for a Volt or whatever electric car will be dominating the market in 2015-ish. I even got a zipcar membership for rare occasions when I *had* to have a car. This all (busted up Avalon, then the bike + zipcar) got me through the summer, fall, and winter waiting for my Volt.

At long last in March, my Volt came in and I picked it up (my wife dropping me off at the dealer then heading home with the babies). What a great joy. Been happily driving the Volt to work ever since. Conclusion, much like the biker in the story it was all worth every bit of sacrifice to get to owning my Volt and not some schmuck of a gasoline powered car that I'd been tempted to just break down, give up and buy on several occasions.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Congrats to Paul on the new Volt. It's great to have another one in the area. Paul lives about 3 miles from me so I hope to see him on the road. Although there are several in the area I have not seen another one on the road yet.

Rochester, NY Volt #2159

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Wow, Pavers, that's quite the commitment! I think I'd have caved the first time the temp hit 25F... if not sooner. Nevermind any frozen precipitation. Congrats on finally getting your car!

3,600 Posts
@ Steverino

Great story, congratulations to Paul!

Volt Advisor Trevor
Chevrolet Volt Advisor Team

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi all,
I saw these posts last week after guys at work saw the news bits and I googled my name and Volt. I really love the car after the first week and a half.
Bonair is right, this was not a long ride for me… well it was the longest this year so far. I ride around 2500-3000 miles a year.
Pavers123 is much more die-hard than I. I ride until ice is on the pavement but do ride in the dark.
Dkmiller26, I think I saw your car 4 weeks ago and that is what made me start to look to buy one. I saw a cool red car and then got closer and found it was a Volt. It was turning south off Jefferson road near Clover… about 3miles from my house.
I wonder how many are in Rochester… people sure do look and ask about mine.
The 240V charge is going in this week. That will help recharge for the short trips on the weekends and the trips after work. I regret burning gas now!
Volt #2875

·
Registered
882 Posts
I regret burning gas now!
Volt #2875
I know the feeling. This morning was the first time in about 2 weeks that I burned gasoline ( 0.56 gal ). It's not a lot, but just enough to take me from 128, down to 127 lifetime MPG's.

Steve in Boca Raton #313

1 - 9 of 9 Posts