Attached you will find the elevation profile of the trip that I took from Cathedral City, CA (elevation about 315') to Reno, NV (elevation about 4550') on April 15, 2012. You can make one of these for any starting point and destination that can be mapped using Google Maps. Follow the instructions below to duplicate the one that I made for my trip.
- Go to "http://maps.google.com/".
- Click on the grey "Get Directions" button.
- Type "Reno, NV 89509" in "A".
- Type "Cathedral City, CA 92234" in "B".
- Click on the blue "Get Directions" button.
- Towards the top left of the screen locate and click on the button that looks like a "chain link". It has a tool tip that says "Link".
- Make sure the "Short URL" box is NOT checked.
- Right click your mouse and select "Copy" on the blue line that starts with "http://maps.google.com/...".
- Go to "http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/elevation".
- Select "U.S." in "Units Box" under the "Draw Elevation Profile" button.
- Place cursor in the "Or provide a URL:" box, right click your mouse and select "Paste". If the results does not start with "http://maps.google.com/..." you have made a mistake!
- Click on the "Draw Elevation Profile" button.
- My computer takes about 8 seconds to show the resultant PNG. Yours may take more or less.