GM Volt Forum banner

Make self-sealing tires standard equipment on the Volt

4K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  jcanoe 
#1 · (Edited)
Replace the 2017 Volt's current Michelin EnergySaver All Season (A/S) tires with the self-sealing variation of this same tire size P215/50R17, rating 91H alternate tread (AT), that is currently installed by GM as the OEM tire on the 2017 Bolt.

Eliminate the tire inflator/sealant kit that currently is provided with the Volt as it is universally disliked, marginally fit for its intended purpose, there are much better portable tire inflators available. (GM should explain how is the Volt operator is expected to warm up the sealant prior to use if the Volt has a flat tire in cold weather?)

The Volt owner would still have the option of purchasing a spare tire kit.

#2 ·
I actually think this could happen and if it does, the decision was made long ago...They are both the exact same size, my guess is because they'll share they same tire in MY18...I also see a minor-refresh of charging bumped up to 7.2KW and front grill colors that mirror the Bolt EVs colors...

#8 ·
While I understand the appeal of the Volt having a 7.2KW charger with approx. 2X faster Level II charging at home or away than is currently possibly with the Gen II Volt I don't think this will happen. GM increased the Volt's on-board charger from 3.3KW to 3.6KW to support the larger battery capacity of the Gen II Volt while keeping charging time to under 5 hours. I don't think GM will ever increase the Volt's battery capacity enough to justify a 7.2KW charger. Assuming GM continues to incrementally increase the Volt's battery capacity GM might upgrade the on-board charger to 4.8KW or 5.8KW to keep charging time to 5 hours or less. Aside from the additional cost associated with having a 7.2KW on-board charger the higher wattage charger unit might not even fit in the current Volt design.

#5 ·
Ladogaboy reported there wasn't any difference in price between the tires from the dealer; although that's just one dealership...

#10 · (Edited)
I've owned and lived with run-flat tires on my last 5 vette's and with them the driver knew the tire was going flat with a TPMS warning. Then at ZERO PSI could be driven albeit at reduced speeds and for a certain number of miles.

With Self-Sealing tires how does the driver know the tire has been comprised? Could someone drive a comprised tire and never know it was damaged?

#11 · (Edited)
With Self-Sealing tires who does the driver know the tire has been comprised? Could someone drive a comprised tire and never know it was damaged?
If a road hazard (nail, spike, screw, bolt, etc.) punctures the tread area of a tire with self-seal technology and remains embedded in the tire the driver would probably notice the telltale clicking of the protruding metal object as the tire rotates. Otherwise, as long as size of the puncture hole in the tread area, not the sidewall, is within the design parameters of the self-seal technology the puncture is immediately sealed with no noticeable loss of tire pressure. The driver would not know that the tire had been punctured except perhaps through careful examination of the tire tread. Here is a demonstration of Michelin Selfseal technology tires. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iA_71KqaevY

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.