GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you have a light colored Volt, here's a neat little trick, that does wonders to the image of the backup camera:

Mask the bottom of the camera so it can't see the bumper anymore.

It's the bright bumper that dims the image!
I put black electrical tape on it, and am amazed at the resulting picture quality!

I'll probably try some black nail polish or some such next.

I've also upgraded the backup light, which was surprisingly easy, even though I generally suck at this kind of work, and some posts here made it sound like a major pain.
Leave the two torx screws under the light alone, but take the 5 hex ones out, then you can just reach in and unplug the socket, which has long wires, so you can easily swap the bulb for a brighter LED version. Test before you put everything back together.

Getting ready for the dark and rainy season in Seattle, I also did the hack to make the DRL stay on all the time and replaced the front blinker bulbs with LEDs, that are bright white when not blinking.
Also replaced the trunk light with a bright LED.

All thanks to posts here, so thank you everybody, I would've never dared to do anything like this on my own without your help!
And I was about to have some professionals install a new camera, because it was useless at night, and in all kinds of other situations (bright sun and what not.)
Now it's like it's supposed to be!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Any idea what this TSP is? I complained about my camera and the dealer said it worked similar to another volt on the lot. Mine is silver, the compared Volt was black.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The other problem that there's no fix to is that the camera lens gets dirty very quickly. It has to do with air flow around the car. On my Mercedes with the camera in the same location the lens stays clean even in the worst weather.

·
Registered
677 Posts
TSB: Technical Service Bulletin
Any idea what this TSP is? I complained about my camera and the dealer said it worked similar to another volt on the lot. Mine is silver, the compared Volt was black.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
The reference to "free" for that TSB depends on whether you are still under the 36 month warranty, IIRC. Many of the affected cars are past that now.

·
Registered
473 Posts
The camera on my old 2013 was a bit flexible in the way it was mounted. I found that a small piece of plastic could be wedged under it to tilt it up slightly, taking the bumper out of the view. Stayed that way for two more years and made the camera much better.

·
Registered
65 Posts
If you have a light colored Volt, here's a neat little trick, that does wonders to the image of the backup camera:

Mask the bottom of the camera so it can't see the bumper anymore.

It's the bright bumper that dims the image!
I put black electrical tape on it, and am amazed at the resulting picture quality!

I'll probably try some black nail polish or some such next.

I've also upgraded the backup light, which was surprisingly easy, even though I generally suck at this kind of work, and some posts here made it sound like a major pain.
Leave the two torx screws under the light alone, but take the 5 hex ones out, then you can just reach in and unplug the socket, which has long wires, so you can easily swap the bulb for a brighter LED version. Test before you put everything back together.

Getting ready for the dark and rainy season in Seattle, I also did the hack to make the DRL stay on all the time and replaced the front blinker bulbs with LEDs, that are bright white when not blinking.
Also replaced the trunk light with a bright LED.

All thanks to posts here, so thank you everybody, I would've never dared to do anything like this on my own without your help!
And I was about to have some professionals install a new camera, because it was useless at night, and in all kinds of other situations (bright sun and what not.)
Now it's like it's supposed to be!
When you say "MASK", are you referring to partially covering the bottom side of the lens? Could you take a quick pic with your cell and post to clarify?

Cheers

·
Registered
36 Posts
Have you tried adjusting the camera brightness settings?
With the car turned on, keep your foot on the brake, and shift into reverse (so that the backup camera is displayed), continue to keep your foot on the brake. Then press the round tune/menu button, and a brightness slider will appear on the left-hand side of the main center-stack screen, rotate/turn the dial around the tune/menu button to adjust the picture. To save your settings press the tune/menu button again and the brightness slider will disappear. Put the car back in park, and then turn off the vehicle. Try changing those settings and hopefully that will help!

·
Registered
65 Posts
With the car turned on, keep your foot on the brake, and shift into reverse (so that the backup camera is displayed), continue to keep your foot on the brake. Then press the round tune/menu button, and a brightness slider will appear on the left-hand side of the main center-stack screen, rotate/turn the dial around the tune/menu button to adjust the picture. To save your settings press the tune/menu button again and the brightness slider will disappear. Put the car back in park, and then turn off the vehicle. Try changing those settings and hopefully that will help!
Thanks Dave,

I had no idea this could be adjusted. This worked like a champ.

Thanks again for this simple adjustment.

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
578 Posts
Does this work on all Gen 1 volts or just 2015’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
578 Posts
My 2015 is a Gen 1 and the adjustment worked perfectly.

On my 2013, nothing happens when you press Menu/tune button while in reverse with foot on the brake

·
Registered
65 Posts
On my 2013, nothing happens when you press Menu/tune button while in reverse with foot on the brake

That is really odd, especially since our’s is a Gen-1 like yours. When I get home, I will post pics of each step I did to get the adjustment to show up.

·
Registered
65 Posts

Ok, this is what I did on our 2015 Gen-1 to adjust the brightness of the back-up camera. Listing each step as to remove any issues with what steps I performed.

1) Parking brake on
2) Foot on brake pedal
3) shift into “Reverse”

Back-up camera activates

4) Push the “Tune” button

Brightness adjustment indicator is displayed on the screen

5) Adjust brightness by turning the “tune” button to desired intensity

Shut down the system.

I hope this helps.

Cheers

·
Registered
578 Posts
Thanks for showing that. I think I see the issue, the 2013’s don’t have the Grid lines so it’s likely not the same software configuration. Sounds like they made changes to fix the poor quality images of previous years.

I did perform those steps in sequence, but nothing appears on the screen when pushing the menu/tune dial other than basic camera view.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Tried it again just now, thinking I'd missed a step or detail.

Doesn't work on my 2012

·
Registered
65 Posts

Sorry about that guys, I figured Gen-1’s were all the same throughout.

We have the pearl tri-coat and before I found out about this trick, I did follow the suggestions of another member by utilizing a small spacer and wedging it under the camera. Essentially pushing it up slightly so that the lens wasn’t looking at the bright white paint.

I just used a fatty zip-tie that I folded like a “Z”. It also gave me a small tab to adjust it if I needed to.

Good luck

·
Registered
578 Posts
Naturally, I had to go outside and try it and it worked on my 2014.
Does your 2014 have grid lines?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts