GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm buying my second Volt and this one is going to be a winter beater commuter toddler car. I really want to be a cheapskate and get a higher mileage Volt since the battery has been proven to be incredibly durable. My other Volt was reliable with almost no repairs, little maintenance.

The question is this: what high mileage issues might I expect if I get a car with ~100k+ miles. Now that these cars are getting older, there must be members on here with some experience. I can easily flip through the manual for scheduled maintenance, but I'm wondering what kind of real world repairs were needed in the higher end of the spectrum.

I'm also eyeing a very good deal on a well optioned '17 Volt with 80k miles for $13k. Thoughts?

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2014 with 50,000 has been trouble free. I would consider you 2017 as a fair price. With 80K on the 2017, it seems most of the miles driven were on gas

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
I've put 91,000 miles on my 2014, 75% of which was using the on-board generator on the highway. The car has been trouble-free. It's been to the dealer three times, once for the free oil change, once for the NYS inspection and once to have the transmission oil replaced (at my discretion at 54,000 miles because of my extensive highway use). Sparkie was able to keep his 2012 on the road for 450,000 miles before seeing a reduction in battery power.

The Gen1 design is solid for the most part. One weak point is the reed switch monitoring the battery coolant level. I have replaced that switch with the WOP Coolant Level Sensor ( https://gm-volt.com/forum/showthrea...H-VOLTAGE-CHARGING-SYSTEM-MESSAGE-DEFEAT-PLUG ). I also installed the Voltscreen for insurance against radiator damage from stones ( https://voltshelf.weebly.com/voltscreen.html ).

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What about things like CV joints, ball joints tie rods, wheel bearings, etc..

My Hyundais have always been bulletproof and needed nothing beyond oil changes and brakes for the first 150k, whereas my BMWs and MINIs have always needed just about every bushing and front end part replaced at 100k to the tune of $2.5k.

Anyone with a high mileage car want to chime in on basic repairs? I’m not talking about oil and brakes.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I think other than premature failure, the only weak point are the front wheel bearings. Sparkie had 5 or 6 sets at the 440,000 mile mark I believe according to one YouTube video. I think that it's because of a Cruze sized wheel bearing on an almost 2 ton car than has big enough wheels and tires that can be driven hard around corners. The answer is take it easy on the curves.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I'm going to have to look up this "sparkie" fellow.. He may hold the key. I'll be searching the webs for Volt threads in the coming hours, but if anyone has breakdowns of repairs from high mileage Volts, let me know.

Edit: Not so sure I would entirely trust a GM employee's account of his ownership experience. It seems too obvious to point out why "sparkie's" tale might not be worth believing. I'm sure his car achieved the miles, but please point me towards a detailed thread of his woes.. All I've read are his Voltstats records.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
I'm going to have to look up this "sparkie" fellow.. He may hold the key. I'll be searching the webs for Volt threads in the coming hours, but if anyone has breakdowns of repairs from high mileage Volts, let me know.

Edit: Not so sure I would entirely trust a GM employee's account of his ownership experience. It seems too obvious to point out why "sparkie's" tale might not be worth believing. I'm sure his car achieved the miles, but please point me towards a detailed thread of his woes.. All I've read are his Voltstats records.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=erick+belmer+chevy+volt

Erick Belmer="Sparkie"

·
Registered
2,488 Posts

He has several YouTube videos you can search for. Haven't looked recently but viewed them this spring when I was researching the Volt (I didn't know he called the car Sparkie so a search by that name might not yield much). You can do a search of posts on this forum using that name as it is commonly referred to it here.

·
Administrator
20,219 Posts
Sure, and I'm not so sure I entirely trust you. It seems obvious to point out that you are simply someone on the internet and might not be worth believing. I was going to post about my nearly 100k Volt for you, but I'm a moderator on the GM-Volt forum, so whatever tale I tell might not be worth believing either, right? lol

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Sure, and I'm not so sure I entirely trust you. It seems obvious to point out that you are simply someone on the internet and might not be worth believing. I was going to post about my nearly 100k Volt for you, but I'm a moderator on the GM-Volt forum, so whatever tale I tell might not be worth believing either, right? lol
For what it is worth, I believe you and I believe "Sparkie". Really, going through Erick's Facebook and Youtube offerings, I am hard pressed to believe this is a contrived, GM effort, to promote the Volt. especially due to GM's lack of mainstream advertising. Come on, REALLY?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Call me a cynic... Corporate influencer was the first thing that came to mind, but once again, I'm a skeptical person in general. After watching his videos, he seems like just a normal Volt enthusiast without an agenda, so I definitely jumped to a conclusion.

Help or dont, its your choice. For some reason it seems like you're taking this very personally. I didn't mean to offend anyone, my apologies to the community.

Happy new year!

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Call me a cynic... Corporate influencer was the first thing that came to mind, but once again, I'm a skeptical person in general. After watching his videos, he seems like just a normal Volt enthusiast without an agenda, so I definitely jumped to a conclusion.

Help or dont, its your choice. For some reason it seems like you're taking this very personally. I didn't mean to offend anyone, my apologies to the community.

Happy new year!
I didn't mean to sound personally affronted, just incredulous :D and I wasn't offended in the least. I AM a cynic from waaaay :pback.

·
Administrator
20,219 Posts
I'm buying my second Volt and this one is going to be a winter beater commuter toddler car. I really want to be a cheapskate and get a higher mileage Volt since the battery has been proven to be incredibly durable. My other Volt was reliable with almost no repairs, little maintenance.

The question is this: what high mileage issues might I expect if I get a car with ~100k+ miles.
Expect normal car wear/parts replacement based on age and miles. After all, it's a car.

Regarding the battery, there have been a few that have needed replacing due to component failure, not degradation. Mine has 97k+ miles and I'm getting a few less miles than when new (I think). I did have a rely go bad at 70k miles requiring the battery to be dropped to replace the part. Other than that, a seat heater replacement. So very uneventful. I expect brake pads to need replacing, and I'll be getting new tires toward spring.

In my previous ICE cars I'd have gone through rotors and pads by now, had many engine tuneups, etc.. One car had continuous transmission issues. I expect headlight and other bulb replacements, struts eventually need replacing. Switches and power window motors can go bad. The older the car gets, the more likely some of these will need attention. I was spending a minimum of $1500/year on my 21 year old Volvo that I replaced with the Volt.

But as far as the Volt battery, so far, so good. However, there just aren't enough older Volts on the road to know what 10, 15, 20 years looks like.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
My 2014 with 50,000 has been trouble free. I would consider you 2017 as a fair price. With 80K on the 2017, it seems most of the miles driven were on gas
I'm leaning towards the 2017 LT with the comfort package at the moment, if anything just for the resale price. It bluebooks for $13.5k at the low end of private party, and retail BB is $16k. I'm thinking of offering $11.5k and seeing if they budge.

On the other end of the spectrum is a 2011 premium with 114k for $6.5k. My wife and I will both be selling our ICEs for EV/PEV in the near future and I would prefer to not have 2 of the exact same car in the garage for variety's sake. Also looking at a Focus EV..

I'm not sure if I really want to spend much more than 10k for today's sub 150 mile EVs when there are so many better options around the bend.. Also, we're installing an 8.85 kW solar photovoltaic system this month, so I really dont want to spend 30k on a new car.

We're making drastic changes for 2019.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
I'm leaning towards the 2017 LT with the comfort package at the moment, if anything just for the resale price. It bluebooks for $13.5k at the low end of private party, and retail BB is $16k. I'm thinking of offering $11.5k and seeing if they budge.

On the other end of the spectrum is a 2011 premium with 114k for $6.5k. My wife and I will both be selling our ICEs for EV/PEV in the near future and I would prefer to not have 2 of the exact same car in the garage for variety's sake. Also looking at a Focus EV..

I'm not sure if I really want to spend much more than 10k for today's sub 150 mile EVs when there are so many better options around the bend.. Also, we're installing an 8.85 kW solar photovoltaic system this month, so I really dont want to spend 30k on a new car.

We're making drastic changes for 2019.
At one point maybe two weeks ago, I suddenly had a strong desire to buy a 2019 Premier, fearing the loss of the warranty on my 2014 with 91,000 miles on the odometer. Luckily, that urge passed.:) The Gen1 design is quite bullet-proof and should give many, many miles of trouble-free driving. As Steverino points out, the Volt is a car and there are car-things that wear out with time. Such is the nature of things. The astute individual will see the value in buying a Gen1 Volt. One of the things that hasn't worn out in my car are the brake pads and rotors. With regenerative braking the physical brake system is used lightly.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Turns out the 2017 Volt was a salvage title..

I'm definitely going the 1st gen route, thanks for your help everyone. I've found several 2012-13 premium models with 50-60k for around $9k. Theres also a premium with 115k miles for $6.5k pretty close. Hmmmm.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quick note for future readers of this thread: 100k+ cars should be thoroughly checked out for a bad motor bearing. The failure rate is low, but still exists.. Not sure how expensive it is, but it cant be cheap. Warranty is only 8 years / 100k miles.

It seems like 2011's should be avoided at this point (since used prices are nominal for '11-13). The problem is fixed '13+ which seems like a no brainer for buying used (in addition to the incremental battery increase).

I'm still reading a very long thread about the issue but it sounds like theres only a TSB and no recall at this point.

Any other rare, but catastrophic failure points like this?

·
Registered
293 Posts
We have 2 2013 Gen1 volts.

1 has 134K+ on it:
I've changed the 12 Volt battery, done one left front wheel bearing (easy DIY [email protected]), had to have the HPCM2 and BCEM updates for a "no charge" issue. Changed transmission fluid at 106k. (Due at 100k) On 3rd set of tires now. 104k is on battery only. Still on original air filter and brake pads are still new. No signs of any other issues at this time.

the other has 82k on it and had the no heater issue when new - fixed under warranty. 1 right front wheel bearing at about 65K miles. New 12Volt battery in '17. On 2nd set of tires.

Both cars still "feel' like new. Steering is very tight, interiors are in good nick, etc. We are planning to hold onto them for at least 2-3 more years. Maybe more.

·
Administrator
20,219 Posts
It seems like 2011's should be avoided at this point (since used prices are nominal for '11-13).
Well, my 2011 has cost me under $500 for maintenance. Is that too much for an almost 8 year car with almost 100k on it? :)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Thats the thing.. The first 100k is the cheapest :)

I'm not saying avoid 2011's like the plague, but if you're in my position and you can buy 2011-2013 for almost the same money why would you buy the one with more possible problems.

The KBB isn't a huge difference between the years if you compare the exact same mileage, options, etc.. This is on paper however. In practice my current best choices are the following (due to whats actually available in my area):

$6500 - 2011 Premium, 114k (all options minus lane departure and front collision warning). Clean carfax/autocheck, 3 owners.
$12,000 - 2013 Premium, 34k (all options). One owner, clean carfax/autocheck.

Both are about equal bargains, with the slight nod to the 2011.

This is my dilemma. Its not IF I should by a Volt, but which one.. The higher mileage cheaper one or the more expensive newer one. I'm trying not to be penny wise, pound foolish. I'm also spending $20k this month on solar panels and maybe buying a full EV for the wife. Normally this wouldn't be such a hard choice but its part of a larger plan.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts