GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am trying to get a sense of what I am paying is too high or not compared to you folks here in this forum. I am with National Grid.

Here are all the charges listed under "Delivery services":
0.06190999 - 0.00063 + 0.03229 + 0.01990826 + 0.0005 = 0.11397825

"Supply Services" (Provider Power Mass LLC):

Total: 0.114 + 0.104 = $ 0.218 / kwh

From this website:
https://www.eia.gov/electricity/monthly/epm_table_grapher.php?t=epmt_5_6_a

Avg MA residential rate is $0.213 for Oct 2018, so I am slightly higher. I wonder if I can do better to find a better company for the supply company. What do you guys have and how are you all doing?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Your rate is consistent with mine, also with NG in western MA. Those supply fees kill us. I think it's the only thing that annoys me about living in our state!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for letting me know. Yeah, MA rate is almost double the national average. Expensive!

·
Registered
373 Posts
It’s no more expensive to run a Volt on electric in NY then petrol.... but it’s nowhere near the cost saving it should be ... unless you can charge for free ....actually for me the Volt and my motorcycles run about neck and neck , Volt leading in the summer .... so that’s still a win win .... in Europe it might well be a no brainer given the price of petrol ( since the day I was born there!! )

·
Registered
124 Posts
I'm curious, the major power plants in MA, are they Natural Gaz, Nuclear, others? My uncle lives in Salem and he dosen't know...
FYI, In Quebec province, we are currently at $ 0.09 / kWh (CAD$). 99% from Hydro.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Dang, unless you're trying to save the planet it seems there is no cost advantage to owning a Volt in MA.

I can shop for electric suppliers in PA thus I can keep my total kWh costs right around 10 cents per or just a bit above $1 for a full charge.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I never paid much attention to our electric rates. I just paid the monthly bill :/ Upon acquiring our '19 Volt, I found that our cost per kwh is 6.9 cents. On top of that, there are lots of other per kwh charges that nearly doubles our bill. Distribution and others. The total is 13.9 cents in N IL. I think a lot of folks who quote their rates don't include the totals. It takes some ciphering.

Even if it cost the same to run on electric opposed to gas, I'm okay with paying the electric co rather that the oil co's. What a damn racket the oil industry is.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I never paid much attention to our electric rates. I just paid the monthly bill :/ Upon acquiring our '19 Volt, I found that our cost per kwh is 6.9 cents. On top of that, there are lots of other per kwh charges that nearly doubles our bill. Distribution and others. The total is 13.9 cents in N IL. I think a lot of folks who quote their rates don't include the totals. It takes some ciphering.

Even if it cost the same to run on electric opposed to gas, I'm okay with paying the electric co rather that the oil co's. What a damn racket the oil industry is.
I guess you're not a ConED Commonwealth Edison (sic) customer. They have had a racket in northern IL for 50+years.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Dang, unless you're trying to save the planet it seems there is no cost advantage to owning a Volt in MA.

I can shop for electric suppliers in PA thus I can keep my total kWh costs right around 10 cents per or just a bit above $1 for a full charge.
You're right. Sometimes the cost comparison is pretty negligible. Premium right now is like $2.60, which is just about what it costs me to charge most of the time. Still, I always prefer to charge anyway and drive the vehicle the way it was designed to be driven.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I took my December Entergy bill, (the bottom line including all fees, fuel adjustments, taxes, hurricane repair charges, etc.), and divided it by the number of kWh we used. Turns out we are paying 8 cents per kWh here in Louisiana. A full charge of the Volt costs me less than a buck, and I very rarely pull into the driveway with a depleted battery.

·
Registered
31 Posts
In Texas, and with my local surcharges added in, I'm at 12 cents per kWh. So just slightly below national average. Still just over $2 to fill if completely flat, which it isn't normally. With the City of Austin's deal with ChargePoint, I pay $25.00 every six months and get unlimited charging at the public stations in the city. We just happen to have one (OK five...) stations at work, so my electric bill isn't too bad.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I’m in western mass, but my city has a municipal electric company instead of one of the big ones. I’m at just over 12 cents a kWH. Big difference from all the towns around me. The municipal electric company has a lot of contracts with hydro plants. I like to joke that my Volt is a water powered car :)

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I’m in western mass, but my city has a municipal electric company instead of one of the big ones. I’m at just over 12 cents a kWH. Big difference from all the towns around me. The municipal electric company has a lot of contracts with hydro plants. I like to joke that my Volt is a water powered car :)
That's a great saving, especially compared to other MA residents. Next time I am buying a home, I should look for this, I guess..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Similar to broskuski, I’m in central mass, but my city has a municipal electric company instead of one of the big ones. I’m also at just over 12 cents a kWH.

My understanding from my utility is most (65%) of their power is from Natural Gas.

I calculate electric miles still cost less than gas miles. That will get better if gasoline prices rise.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts