GM Volt Forum banner

MA MOR-EV program = scam

6K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  Mc2wheels 
MA takes several months before they issue the check but they do do it. I bought my Volt at the end of May, I submitted my request on May 31, they sent me the application form immediately, I filed it on June 1. My application was approved on Jun 8, they sent the check on Aug 11. Earlier in Aug I e-mailed them about the status, they sent a response that it takes about 75 days. From application to the check being mailed it was 73 days for me, assuming that it was in the mail for a couple of days 75 days is exactly right. You should get your check in about two weeks from now.

Sounds like a real mess, here in Ontario the EV rebate (think it's about $12k for Volt now) comes off the purchase price when you buy the car ( dealer submits paperwork). What can be easier?
In the US the EV incentives are a combination of a Federal Tax credit, $7500, which you apply to your income tax (your tax liability must exceed $7500 to collect it all) and state rebates which vary from state to state. MA has a $2500 rebate as do most of the New England states, New Hampshire being the exception, of course NH has no sales tax so you are still ahead even without the rebate. The rules for rebate differ by state. MA gives you the rebate even if you bought your car in another state, I bought mine in New Hampshire. MA collects the sales tax on the car when you register the car, it's not collected by the dealer, that ensures that they collect the sales tax on out of state purchases, so giving the rebate to people who purchased in New Hampshire is consistent with that. I saw mentioned in this group the Rhode Island will only pay the rebate to people who bought in RI so they are more concerned with protecting their dealers than MA is.

My guess is that the Federal EV tax credit will be replaced in the next tax bill with a Steam Vehicle tax credit so I'm glad that I bought my Volt this year.

Fair enough, but should it really take well over a year for someone to get back to me with a "Yes, we'll cut you some slack this time" or "Sorry, tough break" decision on the appeal?

Why even offer an appeal process at all and take the time to solicit the documentation for the 2015 and process it if it's just going to get dumped into the void?

And yeah, I actually do think it is the dealer's responsibility to make potential buyers aware of the incentives that are available. From a sales perspective in this case it certainly seems silly not to, as it's someone else sending you "free" money for buying their product. If I'm guilty of ignorance than certainly the sales department at the dealer I purchased it from is right there with me.

Well, sure! I would've definitely liked to drive the 2015 for three years. Someone driving into the back of me and destroying it wasn't on my to-do list at the time I filed the appeal. I don't see how that should fairly disqualify me for the rebate on that one, either.

If they had somehow got the appeal processed and the check sent to me prior to the accident, would they have come asking for it back afterwards? I did commit to driving it as the rebate terms state - the lease was for 39 months. I don't recall the rebate terms saying anything about monitoring the fate of the car after the application.

Not my fault someone else had other plans...¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Have you give them a phone call? The number is in the e-mail that came with the application. In case you've lost the e-mail here it is

MOR-EV Staff
Center for Sustainable Energy®

866.900.4223 phone

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.