GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally saw a Model 3 in the wild today. Red. No license plates - just the paper place holder that says "zero emission" in the rear. It was driving the other way in the residential area about two blocks from my house, so maybe it will be living near by. It was instantly recognizable as a Tesla. Definitely narrower/shorter than a Model S, but about the same height.

Anyone else see one yet?

·
Registered
262 Posts
3 last week (red, black, and gray) with the paper plates on Hwy 101. One parked, yesterday, with plates so I assume it's employee owned. Over the last few months I've seen 5-6 around, those must have been employees.

IMO it looks better in person that in pictures. I like it.

·
Registered
708 Posts
It is only 1.2 inches more narrow and not quite a foot shorter than the S, is it that noticeable?

·
Registered
262 Posts
It is only 1.2 inches more narrow and not quite a foot shorter than the S, is it that noticeable?
It looks a tiny bit different from the rear but the easiest way for me to tell when driving is the 3's hockey stick shaped door handles.

When you get a chance to really look at one you can tell the proportions are different than an S. The 3 has a more "bubbly" look to it. The greenhouse takes up a bigger percentage of the whole car. IMHO it's a good look.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Four inches (82.2" vs 86.2").

What first caught my attention, looking at it from the front, was that the DRLs are different and thinner than Model S and X. Then the aspect ratio is definitely a little different as it is noticeably narrower vs the height. Between the two it suddenly registered in my mind that I was looking at a Model 3. I was a little worried about the 'snout' on the nose from early prototype photos, but the production version looks ok in person.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I saw one the other day on the highway traveling towards me in the other direction. Silver in a blueish tone. To be honest, it didn't pop out from the other cars on the road, looking rather ordinary. Just another sedan in the flow of traffic. I find it lacking in the kind of sexiness had by the Model S - rather, it looks a bit ungainly more like the Model X does.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Four inches (82.2" vs 86.2").

What first caught my attention, looking at it from the front, was that the DRLs are different and thinner than Model S and X. Then the aspect ratio is definitely a little different as it is noticeably narrower vs the height. Between the two it suddenly registered in my mind that I was looking at a Model 3. I was a little worried about the 'snout' on the nose from early prototype photos, but the production version looks ok in person.
It is only 1.2 inches with the mirrors folded, the mirrors aren’t that big to make a noticeable difference.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Two of my friends (Tesla employees) have their Model 3s and I've driven one of them. There's been a small part of me that has wondered if I should cancel my Model 3 reservation and just get a Model X. But now, I don't know. The Model 3 is a very solid car. There are no squeaks or rattles, anywhere. Steering, suspension, acceleration, braking, all feel perfect for the vehicle's size. I love my Model S, and it's a different class of vehicle, but I really feel this car out "germans" the German OEMs. This would make any BMW or Porsche fan take a moment and say, "Woah..." You can call me biased all you want. When the Ford Contour SVT came out in 1998, it had all the look and feel of a European sedan and truly caught the US market by surprise. Driving one for the first time, was a big eye opener as to what cars could be. I got this same feeling when driving the Model 3, and there's no doubt I'm keeping that reservation. Maybe in a few years, I'll trade the Model S in for a Model X.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Saw a white one parked in Yosemite National Park on Thanksgiving weekend. One good looking car - I liked the Aero wheels covers as well. Too bad owner was not around.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I believe I’ve seen six of them now. Not as pretty from the front as the Model S but the Model 3 is attractive from most angles to my eye. I really prefer them with the optional rims but I’ll probably stay with the standard wheels on my Model 3 to keep the efficiency up and replacement cost down.

As far as curb appeal goes the Model 3 is right up there with the Audi A4 and BMW 3 Series from my point of view. Can’t wait to get mine.

·
Banned
260 Posts
Just went to the Tesla dealership in Dallas. They had one model 3 outside and one waiting on delivery. It was raining outside so I took a picture of this one. The wheel pics are the standard wheels with the aero shells removed and Tesla covers over the nut. It was a delivery to a Tesla employee and the Tesla rep getting it ready said she had hers for the last 3 weeks and loved it. She drove a BMW 3 series before getting the model 3 and she believes BWM will have their hands full competing with the model 3 as she said it has a ton of pep and drives very similar to the BMW.

Also seeing it in person looks better than what the photos I have seen of it convey. I was worried that the shorter snout that I have seen in pictures wouldn't look right but once I saw it in person it looks really good.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I followed a black one with plates for quite some time on the 405 today. I must say the car looks very bland, especially compared to the very tarted up current models from Honda, Lexus, Mazda, Infiniti, etc. The Model S is also already looking very dated if you ask me. I guess that's what happens we you see so many of them every day and most other cars get some new trim or light changes almost every year.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Stopped at delivery center in Fremont this week on a business trip to the bay area. Buzzing with activity as Tesla people scurrying all over the place delivering cars (more than half model 3s). Car looks great IMO, and even better in person. The proportions are very nice. It was great to see all the various color and wheel combinations. I also saw two on the road in the wild. The company looks to be ramping very quickly now. Should be pushing through the first 10K or so units by year end I would guess. 2018 will be a very good year for EVs.

·
Registered
529 Posts
All of which means our fully loaded Red 2011 Volt is going to market very soon with ~75k miles. VIN 1680 with the original GM welcome pack featuring the little Volt flip camera etc. I am even bundling a small model of the original 2007 concept vehicle given to me by Maximum Bob (Bob Lutz) himself! :)

·
Registered
622 Posts
There are a lot of Model 3 cars parked all around the Tesla factory in Fremont. I can see the number of cars increasing when I pass by there on my way to work. It is easiest to see the ones near Mission and 880 from the frontage road Kato Rd.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
There are a lot of Model 3 cars parked all around the Tesla factory in Fremont. I can see the number of cars increasing when I pass by there on my way to work. It is easiest to see the ones near Mission and 880 from the frontage road Kato Rd.
well pull over and snap some pics.we'd all love to see them.

·
Banned
260 Posts
OK,

That's all I could get. The Tesla stormtroopers asked me to move on.
Thanks for the pictures.

Even in your first couple pictures I noticed the front end looks a little stubby. I don't know why it looks that way in the pictures as this is what I was worried about but in person it looks much better and the front end looks agressive. I still don't know about how they split the lip though. I don't know what else they could have done other than make it look like a the current S or X with an "T" emblem in it.

Either way it looked really good in person. All the panels lined up nice the doors/frunk/trunk/handles were all nice and tight. All the gaps were even and tighter than those on my S. If they keep this build quality up Tesla will have a major hit on their hands.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I saw a white one in the wild today. I like it in red better. Will be seeing another this weekend, as my neighbor who works for Tesla got his. It’s taken us a couple weeks to get together so I can check it out.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts