GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
My experience with Uber and Lyft is that for every area they're in, the requirements are all pretty much the same in that the vehicle must seat 5 persons minimum. I have seen a couple of cities that allow 4 total persons (Volt eligible) but those are very rare. Having talked to various people who drive for both services locally, none have seemed to indicate they ever really get calls for more than 2-3 passengers and most of the time it's only 1 person. This really is a shame because it seems the Volt would make a good Uber/Lyft car.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I know Uber and Lyft have minimum requirements for insurance. And if I recall, they're quite minimal, basically state minimum. However, as soon as you take a call, your covered under their policy, and once you actually pick up the fare, the policy balloons to $1M coverage I believe. However, the miles can certainly add up. They do seem to pay well though. Certainly far better than I expected. A co-workers fiance drives for Uber and had a fare going from Bakersfield to Anaheim (about 150 miles one way). His pay ended up being about $130. If course that's a long drive, but even pocketing half of that, and putting the other half in a savings account for future repairs/depreciation/expenses. I think if one were disciplined enough to do that with all fares, the money made more than makes up for any expenses or losses. And since you're "self-employed" much can be written off.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
How so? I always assumed that the seat number was part of the inspection process. I know there are SOME areas that don't require a 5th seat, but my area and as far as I know all of CA requires the fifth seatbelt. I would love to be able to drive since I know it's rare that you get a call for 4 passengers (less than 2% I understand). But because of their dumb rule excluding the Volt (intentional???) I can't.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.