GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jeff Gilbert of CBS Detroit reports Lutz's message accurately; don't kill the messenger:

Mr. Bob Lutz

Have Electric Vehicles Been Over-hyped?

One of the driving forces behind the Chevrolet Volt says the vehicle has been a victim of unrealistic expectations.
“There was exaggerated hype, and exaggerated expectations,” said Lutz, in a morning keynote address at the SAE World Congress. “The way the media made it sound is that everybody’s next vehicle was going to be electric.”
“I personally believe in the future of electric vehicles, because they are very efficient,” Lutz said. “They’ve got far fewer moving parts.”

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2013/04/18/have-electric-vehicles-been-over-hyped/

·
Registered
95 Posts
Not really all that bad commentary, I personally beleive that electric vehicles (mainly the Volt) are under-hyped and if more people were aware of just exactly what the Volt was all about that more people would buy one, I have yet to run across anybody that has a solid understanding of what the cars capabilities are.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Lutz is one of the crazier climate change deniers, once calling it "a total crock of sh$t." It's an odd fit, -- a man at the forefront of green technology who believes there's no there's no need for it. But Bob birthed the Volt, and like a loving dad with a wayward son, he'll always defend his child -- especially for a speaking fee.

·
Administrator
20,203 Posts
If anything, I'd say the Volt's perceived flaws (price, anything having to do with its battery) are over-hyped and it true capabilities often ignored.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Still thank Bob for brining the Volt to reality.
Thank you Thank you & Thank you!

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
He also said that common sense should bring higher gas taxes, so customers will have an incentive to
purchase more efficient vehicles.

In Quebec, gas prices are well over $5.25 per US gallon. And effectively, people do purchase fuel efficient
vehicles. In Europe, gas is over $8.00 per US gallon. The average fuel consumption of vehicles in Europe is at
least 30% more fuel efficient than in the US.

The last time the US federal gas tax was raised was when? 20 years ago?
What would be the scenario if gas was at $5.00 and electricity at $0.08 per kWh ?
Would we read about ICE cars being overhyped?

Francois
B2653

·
Registered
846 Posts
The only real over hyping of that I remember about the Volt is a past president of GM claiming that the base price would be under 20K, about a year or so before it came to market. If it had actualy turned out that way it would be one of the best selling cars out there.

That may explain a lot of the of the price frustration that people have with the Volt.

·
Super Moderator
6,278 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
One of my favourite things about the Volt is...that it has met expectations. Most cars do not get anywhere close to their published EPA fuel economy. My VW TDI is a rare exception - averages 48mpg - that's why I love it too...but my Volt is beyond description! I was skeptical of the 40mi range target when GM was developing the Volt. I became even more skeptical when the official range was dropped to 35 mi (38 now for 2013). But guess what - 35 / 38 / 40 mile range is very achievable with many members here routinely getting ev range in excess of 40-50miles. Even the 260mpg hype that came out before the Volt's production release - many people exceed that claim. This is the biggest accomplishment for GM on this vehicle - that it not only meets, but exceeds expectations!

·
Registered
804 Posts
Lutz is one of the crazier climate change deniers, once calling it "a total crock of sh$t." It's an odd fit, -- a man at the forefront of green technology who believes there's no there's no need for it. But Bob birthed the Volt, and like a loving dad with a wayward son, he'll always defend his child -- especially for a speaking fee.
Lutz believes in lowering pollution and green tech that gets us there. He just doesn't believe in AGW (Anthropogenic Global Warming.)

Gasoline Cars put out more than just greenhouse gasses, and those other gasses are choking off cities, and causing a lot of cancer.

Now, if we could ban the number one greenhouse gas - water vapor - we'd not have to worry about CO2. ;)

·
Banned
34 Posts
Lutz having been involved with the Volt is not a great selling point. He seems the poster child for everything ever wrong with GM. Destroyer of the EV1, science denier was somehow supposed to revolutionize GM and make them innovative and develop state of the art electric drive train? I'm amazed the Volt is as good as it is despite him.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Lutz having been involved with the Volt is not a great selling point. He seems the poster child for everything ever wrong with GM. Destroyer of the EV1, science denier was somehow supposed to revolutionize GM and make them innovative and develop state of the art electric drive train? I'm amazed the Volt is as good as it is despite him.
I'm still convinced (and maybe I'm the only one) that the EV-1 was only ever intended to be a wide scale beta project for research - what happens in the wild to the battery packs, electric motors, etc. They wanted them all back to dissect and learn. I think it's because of the EV-1 that the Volt is as good as it is today. I know that's not as much fun to think about though. Michael Moore conspiracy theories are much more fun to contemplate. (Yes I watched that movie too) The gap between the cancellation/repossessions of the EV1 program in 2003 and the announcement of the Volt in 2007 of only 4 years shows me that the research never stopped!

I have no proof of anything to back that up, but it's the only reason that makes sense to me. The Volt is the culmination of 15 years of EV research (probably more)!

·
Registered
906 Posts
GM took a LOT of bad vibes for EV-1 destruction.. they didnt have to destroy or deactivate those cars.. they shouldve left them in the field so see what happens long-term to EV's..

GM has been crticized more than once for some of their cars not lasting long enough..

cadillac HT-4100 anyone? luck if you got 50k in Gen1
Geo Metro cylinder walls failing at 80k?
the 2.8 V-6 didnt exactly have a long lasting rating...

now the Volt comes along less than 10 years after EV-1 destruction.. sure the issues seem far and few between and its owner satisfaction rating is high.. but I dont believe people on the "inside" . early adopters.. forget things a company did so easily...

for me the Volt is the Only type of EV that works for me.. Leaf, tesla, spark EV, Fit EV, etc etc cant work for me.. I need the freedom to go wherever whenever... if I get the dreaded "system down" call at 1am there isnt a rental car counter nor a flight in columbus ohio open at that time.. I need to hop on the road and go.. sometimes 250 miles away.. sure maybe a Tesla would make it? but unless im in a major city theres nowhere to charge it.. enter in Volt.. so yeah I have one...

I also dont believe someone working in green technology has to believe that man causes climate change.. green energy isnt all about "green" its also about longevity.. renewable energy is not just about emissions.. its about being able to produce energy without "using up" something. so the fact Lutz isnt a "greenie" has no influence on the man's ability to build an EV or not..

I personally dont talk on the phone.. I hate talking on the phone.. but I design and build Voice over IP systems (pretty damn good ones).. for a living....

-Christopher

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Not really all that bad commentary, I personally beleive that electric vehicles (mainly the Volt) are under-hyped and if more people were aware of just exactly what the Volt was all about that more people would buy one, I have yet to run across anybody that has a solid understanding of what the cars capabilities are.
Amen. The Volt is one of the most elegant examples of the engineering arts in my lifetime, and I get "cute little car."

·
Registered
284 Posts
I'm still convinced (and maybe I'm the only one) that the EV-1 was only ever intended to be a wide scale beta project for research - what happens in the wild to the battery packs, electric motors, etc. They wanted them all back to dissect and learn. I think it's because of the EV-1 that the Volt is as good as it is today. I know that's not as much fun to think about though. Michael Moore conspiracy theories are much more fun to contemplate. (Yes I watched that movie too) The gap between the cancellation/repossessions of the EV1 program in 2003 and the announcement of the Volt in 2007 of only 4 years shows me that the research never stopped!

I have no proof of anything to back that up, but it's the only reason that makes sense to me. The Volt is the culmination of 15 years of EV research (probably more)!
Check out "Revenge of the Electric Car" the sequel to " Who killed the Electric Car" Lutz and Elon Musk are very prominent in that documentary. You also get insight into Litz's real motivation.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts