GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Volt Premiere
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still on the fence regarding purchasing a 2017 Volt.

A major issue for me is the lack of lumbar support.

There are kits for adding air bladders under the OEM seat covers. Has anyone done that on the a Gen 2 Volt?

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I too would like more lumbar support for both front seats and considered the bladders for my '12 Volt.

I added two layers of carpet pad (about 3/8" thick) in the lumbar area of my '05 Rav4 and it worked great. The front-facing piece was about 3" high and most of the width of the seat back and behind that was a piece about 5" high.

·
Registered
2017 Volt Premiere
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I test drove an LT, but I would probably get leather since I tend to keep cars for a long time. Can someone with leather interior report re: how easy it is to remove the seat covers to add support?

·
Registered
678 Posts
One of the best tips I ever got from an auto professional: Don't buy factory leather - especially perforated leather. If you have kids, can you imagine spills and stuff that gets in those holes - never to be cleaned out? Instead, save money at purchase by ordering cloth, and take it to an upholstery shop for aftermarket leather. It's thicker and much better quality than OEM leather. Plus, you avoid the perforated leather seats.

Many dealers have a relationship with an upholsterer and they get discounts. Work it right and you can spend the money you saved with the cloth seats and work that into your deal with a dealer discount on your aftermarket leather. You also can custom-select your color and bet it's not like any other Volt. When at the upholstery shop, you choose the size/comfort of the lumbar pad insert you wish and they sew it right in - just like factory!

If you choose this route - please show us the results, I'm sure they'll be stunning....And comfortable to boot!

·
Registered
2017 Volt Premiere
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would not mind going that route if GM would allow me to choose cloth along with the other premier options. Fortunately, I don't have kids, so I might get a good seven years or longer from the factory seats.

On most cars, removing the OEM seat cover to install an air bladder is not a big deal. Does GM use zippers or hog rings on the Volt seats?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Anyone actually add lumbar support bladders the their Volt (Gen 1 or 2)? After just a week of ownership, I'm finding that this is a serious problem for me and am going to have to do something if I want to keep the car.....thanks,

·
Registered
2017 Volt Premiere
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anyone actually add lumbar support bladders the their Volt (Gen 1 or 2)? After just a week of ownership, I'm finding that this is a serious problem for me and am going to have to do something if I want to keep the car.....thanks,
Not yet, but I have my first long distance trip in about six weeks. So far, I find the Volt seats comfortable, but we'll see. In researching the air bladders, I could not find one that got good marks for reliability (all of them bleed air over time). Since I'm the only driver of the Volt, I'll probably add some layers of high density foam rubber if I need extra support.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I may be on to something ......

I think I'm on the right track to solving this one: I purchased one of these inflatable lumbar support contraptions. Been playing with it for a few days now and it seems to do a fairly nice job. So far, it's not leaking.

Next step will be to get it behind the leather seat covering.......

Attachments

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Next step will be to get it behind the leather seat covering.......

You can do that? :p

I hope you take lots of pics and start a new thread. I considered installing an electric version several times, but would prefer an OEM look.

This is what I would like to install, $87 each on Amazon:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Colchiro,

Yea, I came a cross several electric versions...but I was concerned about wiring it in, and of course, where to mount the switch. If I was going to leave the switch dangling on the side or under the seat, then why not just leave the hand pump bulb dangling?? At least that was my logic, and also the logic of my installer. I'm just going to let an upholstery shop do it....guy says he's done others.

As for now, I'm still trying to decide exactly how high I want it installed. I must say though, even with it just sitting in the seat, and me having to position it each time I drive....my back is really enjoying it. Best 15$ purchase I've made in a while.....

·
Registered
9 Posts
This can be done by yourself. Recline seat all the way back, take a couple of medium size flat screwdrivers and release the plastic strips that hold the upholstery, front and back, together. Loosen the bottom of the front section that appear to be help by a Velcro type material. Insert 1/2" foam or a really soft 1" foam piece to the bottom section. Reattach the Velcro area and reattach the plastic strips and you're good to go.
Really makes a difference.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I installed about 3/4" of carpet pad today and the seat felt much better. I have a 300 mile trip day after tomorrow. That will put it to the test. I couldn't get the plastic strips back together but decided to test the configuration before trying too much.

Thanks for the guidance.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I installed about 3/4" of carpet pad today and the seat felt much better. I have a 300 mile trip day after tomorrow. That will put it to the test. I couldn't get the plastic strips back together but decided to test the configuration before trying too much.

Thanks for the guidance.
Care to write up how you did that?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts