GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just updated my status per the e-mail from Lyle. It appears that I'm lucky #13 on the list.

I'm still pretty unlikely to buy the Volt but don't want to limit my options. I'm also pretty skeptical that they'll let us hicks in middle America have any of the early releases, but we'll see. It might be that I can get my hands on one early and make due despite the lack of 5 seats. If not I'll let someone else worth take my spot.

Eagerly awaiting the regular updates.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Many here will be disappointed when they learn the Volt will only be available in extremely limited quantity, in only 2 states, for lease only, and at a very high price.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If they try to go lease-only you may as well sell your GM stock for whatever you can get for it...the EV1 people will start a snowball rolling that'll completely crush GM. GM has to earn the countries trust back...there's little to none left.

I can only hope you're wrong about the limited quantities and limited states it will be available in though that's probably pretty much true for the first 6mo to 1 year.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
They will sell the car, but there is a very good chance that they will lease the battery. It may actually be a good deal and make it a bit more affordable that way. I'm not against the idea of leasing a battery.

·
Registered
383 Posts
They will sell the car, but there is a very good chance that they will lease the battery. It may actually be a good deal and make it a bit more affordable that way. I'm not against the idea of leasing a battery.
Me either, as long as IF they choose not to offer a lease buyout there are alternative suppliers for a replacement. :eek:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have to say that I'd be opposed to even that unless they offer some sort of assurance of permanent availability.

What if they decide to stop leasing the battery...what are you going to do? I can hear the roars of "they won't do that"...but how do you know...I'm sure nobody expected they'd crush all the EV1s and refuse to sell the car either.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I have to say that I'd be opposed to even that unless they offer some sort of assurance of permanent availability.

What if they decide to stop leasing the battery...what are you going to do? I can hear the roars of "they won't do that"...but how do you know...I'm sure nobody expected they'd crush all the EV1s and refuse to sell the car either.
You have to remember what the markets and motivations were at the time. GM, even with their unbelievably poor judgment, was not out to screw anyone. They just listened to closely to their risk assessment managers. There is no way they will intentially leave their customers "hanging" with owned cars and no replacement batteries. Worst case is they go bankrupt and you have to buyout the battery for the leasing agent or get a 3rd part replacement. Once there are 10's of thousands on the road, there will be aftermarket solutions.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
GM has no lock on battery technologies. Assuming that GM sells 10,000 or more Volts, and I believe they will, if they decide to call it quits, an after market company will step forward with a solution. That big of a captured market would be irresistible. Absolute worst case scenario, mod the car so that the car just becomes a hybrid and the ICE runs all the time to power the motor just like a locomotive. While this solution would really suck, it would still get you pretty good mileage.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts