GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have never had a car with features like Forward Collision Alert, Lane Keep Assist, Low-speed Front Automatic Braking, Following Distance Indicator, IntelliBeam® headlamps, Side Blind Zone Alert with Lane Change Alert, Rear Cross Traffic Alert, and Adaptive Cruise Control.

For that matter, my 2012 Volt only had the base radio, not the Bose system, no heated seats or mirrors, leather or Nav (I did have the rear camera, which was an extra in 2012, but is now standard, thankfully).

I realize that the value of some of these things is purely subjective, but I am wondering how the forum feels about whether the added cost of any/all of these options provides reasonable added value.

Once you have the added safety features, would you ever feel OK about going back to a car without them? Do they work as advertised?

Which options do you feel are "must haves", if any, and why?

I am shopping now for a '17, but I am close enough to some CARB States that have way better deals on the '16s (with both year's models having about the same features available, except the Adaptive Cruise Control).

I could probably be happy with an LT, but would I be happier with a Premier in your opinion? Assuming you could afford either model and the options, what do you feel is essential, worthwhile, OK, or not worth the money?

Any feedback appreciated.

·
Registered
97 Posts
My wife's ELR has blind spot assist, adaptive cruise control, etc. I can tell you that yes, I think those options are definitely worth it if they end up preventing an accident which would cost far more in repairs than the option. We all, no matter how good we think we are at driving, make mistakes or lose focus. These safety devices can make all the difference. Put rear camera in there too. I know someone from ~10 years ago who backed over their 2-year old. You can't put a price on that.

·
Registered
425 Posts
This question has been asked a bunch before (do a search) and the overall consensus seems to be yes, the confidence packages (1 & 2) are worth it.

Rear Cross Traffic Alert, Lane Keep Assist, Side Blind Zone Alert with Lane Change Alert : I would say these are the best features and 'must haves' for me now in any future cars. All 3 have prevented me from either doing something stupid or hitting someone else who had done something stupid !

IntelliBeam® headlamps, Forward Collision Alert, Low-speed Front Automatic Braking : These are nice features but (so far) I could live without them. I see how intellibeam works when I go into a tunnel or underground parking, FCA is a good feature but too often it either gives a false alert or none at all and I have never had the balls to test if FAB works properly !!!

Following Distance Indicator : I dont see the point of this feature (its not configurable).

Adaptive Cruise Control. : I dont have this so no comment other than to say I would likely have added it had it been available :

You never mentioned NAV but in all honesty - and from someone who wanted ALL the bells and whistles when I ordered mine - give it a miss, there are other options available via cellphone or a garmin/tomtom unit that work better. One further comment I would say to you given your location in the northeast is to make sure you add heated steering wheel and seats. it will save your range in winter as it uses less battery power than the heater !

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
It seems like leather seats, Bose sound and additional collision warning represents most of the what you get with premier. None of these were "must have's" for me.

Heated seats is a big deal though, and helps to save battery in the winter. I saw it was part of a $460 upgrade package on the LT, so you don't have to go premier to get it.

I'm happy to see the backup camera is now standard even on the LT.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I have never had a car with features like Forward Collision Alert, Lane Keep Assist, Low-speed Front Automatic Braking, Following Distance Indicator, IntelliBeam® headlamps, Side Blind Zone Alert with Lane Change Alert, Rear Cross Traffic Alert, and Adaptive Cruise Control.
Forward Collision Alert: I had it in my 2013, it is better in my 2017. Not really a "must have" but it is a nice reminder when someone is slowing in front of you faster than you might think.
Lane Keep Assist: This is new to me. It takes a little getting used to, when it tries to steer the car for you, but now I'm glad I have it. I think it is making me a better driver.
Low-Speed Front Braking: I have not noticed it activating yet.
Following Distance Indicator: Gee Wiz data. Something to show/impress passengers. Normally never look at it.
IntelliBeam® headlamps, Side Blind Zone Alert with Lane Change Alert, Rear Cross Traffic Alert: I put these in the awesome and must have categories. They work well and are very useful.
Adaptive Cruise Control: I did not get this option as I rarely use the regular cruise control.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all for the input so far. I know the questions have been asked before, but I could not find answers in the context of the 2017/16 models- especially the ACC. The back-up camera is now standard. Most of the LTs seem to also have the "Comfort Package" which includes the heated seats, steering wheel and mirrors.

·
Registered
3 Posts
baragona;3226649 Heated seats is a big deal though said:
Thanks, I was not aware of the LT upgrade package. As many others I do not need the electronic gizmo's (well, LKA would be fun to play with), but I had both heated seats and heated steering wheel in my '13 Leaf SV and I would like to have both of those. Can you expound more on the LT upgrades available please, anyone? I am planning my purchase or lease of a '17 around this time next year (prefer to buy from a local dealer) so would like to be aware of what is available on LT options. Can't find this on the Chevy sites so far, maybe I missed something).

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I'll just hit it line by line and remember this is just my opinion....

Forward Collision Alert
I think this is a great thing, esp if combined with automatic braking.

Lane Keep Assist
Personally I feel like this is more of a gimmick

Low-speed Front Automatic Braking
I've seen many situations where this would have outright prevented an accident or tragedy ESPECIALLY in parking lots.

Following Distance Indicator
Gimmick that people quickly start ignoring

IntelliBeam® headlamps
Gimmick

Side Blind Zone Alert with Lane Change Alert
Useful, but people should REALLY learn how to properly set their mirrors

Rear Cross Traffic Alert
I agree with AAA in this article, I don't think they work well enough yet, too many limitations and depending on it will get you in trouble

Adaptive Cruise Control
Don't have it. Drove an Audi with it. WANT IT BADLY!

Bose system
I'm indifferent, some love it

heated seats
I'm a convert. Add a heated steering wheel and you have me 100%

heated mirrors
I consider this an important safety feature

leather
Love leather if I can get it. Not a deal maker though.

Nav
Seems like no auto company can do as well as Garmin or the like yet. Right now I actively dislike the in-car nav systems I've seen so far.

rear camera
Important safety feature in my book

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
695 Posts
I think the jump from a loaded LT to a base Premier is worth the money, if you want to go that route.

I bought a Kinetic Blue LT with leather, Bose, and the comfort package (heated seats, steering wheel, and mirrors). I would have considered the Premier, however, GM only packaged the Light Ash/Dark Ash Leather with the LT. So to avoid the black interior, I stayed with the LT.

However, the MSRP as configured (my LT) was $36310 (includes option for Kinetic Blue paint). For an extra $2035 I would have got:

1) Heated rear seats
2) Upgraded rims
3) Front and rear parking sensors
4) Blue light pipes in the doors
5) Two tone seating
6) Illuminated vanity mirrors
7) Wireless charging for devices
8) Automatic parking assist
9) Auto-dimming rear view mirror

I also would have the option for other features like the safety packages and navigation.

In the end, for me the interior color was more important than these options. However, if I could have purchased my car as configured with the Premier Package (no additional options), I would have spent the extra $2035.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
I believe for most, it comes down to do you want C1, C2 & ACC? If you don't want those things I don't the Premier without those options justify the $4XXX increase over the LT...

·
Registered
224 Posts
As another factor--find a loaded Premier with Confidence 1 and 2, and have your insurance company compare the rates between that model and the LT you are looking at (insurance company may need VINs to do a fair comparison).

My insurance company verified that a Premier with Confidence 1 and 2 has lower rates than the LT. Since I wanted Premier with 1 and 2, the insurance discount was just icing on the cake.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I believe for most, it comes down to do you want C1, C2 & ACC? If you don't want those things I don't the Premier without those options justify the $4XXX increase over the LT...
Agreed. I guess what I am looking for is experience/opinions on those things to see if they are really worth it.

I find that what Blastersix said reinforces some of what I was thinking:

I can tell you that yes, I think those options are definitely worth it if they end up preventing an accident which would cost far more in repairs than the option. We all, no matter how good we think we are at driving, make mistakes or lose focus. These safety devices can make all the difference. Put rear camera in there too.
And the lists/opinions that HighlanderlCT, baragona, TSquare and Dutch added are really helpful too.

Thanks to all who comment or offer an opinion!

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
For resale, I go premium with all the bells and whistles. It's much easier to sell a car that has all options than one that has a few popular ones missing.

Conversely, if it ain't there, it can't break.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Adaptive Cruise Control: I did not get this option as I rarely use the regular cruise control.
You would if you had it. At least if it works like my Volvo does. Bumper to bumper traffic and it just follows along perfectly speeding up and slowing down as needed. LOVE it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
also consider how you use the vehicle. If you do a lot of long distance driving, I think the lane keeping is a really nice feature.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Yes, I believe it is. In fact, I chose the Premier with Driver's Confidence 1 & 2 (Roughly an extra $1000)

·
Registered
265 Posts
Only thing holding me back from a Gen2 purchase is the lack of tan cloth interior, and refuse to pay the 4k price increase for black/burgundy (tan) leather. Only cloth seats offered are black and light black????? I suspect GM did this to push towards the Premium line.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts