GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've located (2) 2018 Volt LTs in Metallic Blue. Both come with black leather and the comfort package, but one has the LT Driver Confidence option and the other has the Bose Audio. I want the Bose Audio, but I'm concerned that the blind spots in the Volt justify getting the additional LT Driver Confidence package.

If you could chose one, which would it be? Is the Confidence package a must?

·
Registered
485 Posts
The driver confidence package is really, really helpful with helping to work around blind spots in the car.

I have the Bose system in my car. It's nice, but the general consensus seems to be that it's not nearly as much of a must have option in the gen 2 as it was on the first gen, mostly because the stock audio system improved significantly. I'd take the driver confidence package out for a ride and see if you find the audio acceptable.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
I have the Bose system in my car. It's nice, but the general consensus seems to be that it's not nearly as much of a must have option in the gen 2 as it was on the first gen, mostly because the stock audio system improved significantly. I'd take the driver confidence package out for a ride and see if you find the audio acceptable.

Relevant Bose synopsis. Better than stock but not by much...

·
Registered
2018 Volt Premier
82 Posts
I’m not sure I would have bought the car without the driver confidence packages. The rear and quarter vision is quite poor- but the alerts by the package really make a difference.

My dealer did a ‘dealer swap’ to find the colour and options I wanted. Yeah- I am sure I paid more then if I just took something they had. But if I’m blowing so much $$ I wanted to get all that stuff. (Plus I wanted Red or Blue, I don’t like the other colour very much)

·
Registered
897 Posts
Definitely Driver Confidence Package. We have the Premier with both DC's, but the really important one to me is the first one. I would be perfectly happy with just that in fact, but would not want to be without it.

Meanwhile the Bose in our Premier is no big deal. Our other car is a 2011 Cruze with the standard stereo, and except for less bass, it sounds about as good to me.

Overall, I would be quite content in a Volt LT with the Driver Confidence and Comfort packages, and nothing else. Our 2018 Volt is blue too! Nice color

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
223 Posts
You can always upgrade the stock sound system, you can’t add the Confidence Package. The blue is gorgeous, that’s what I have :)

2017 Kinetic Blue Premier with ACC, everything but the overpriced ambient lighting....,,,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Agree on driver confidence package vs. Bose. I did a back-to-back comparison (cars were side-by-side), same song, etc--LT vs. Premier. The stock system is "good enough" and the Bose is "not worth it." Yes, there is more bass with the Bose, but it's a boomy bass and the system is not particularly clear. The soundstage is actually narrow and disappointing, in my book. It is worse than the Gen 1 Bose, which I had. You would be better off upgrading the tweeters and speakers in the stock system rather than overpay for a muddy boomy bass.

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
I did a side by side (with in 1/2 hour on the same radio station playing the same type of music) comparison between a Gen1 base and a Gen2 Premier (with Bose) and the difference was night and day to me (granted you're going from perhaps less good Gen1 to better Gen2 radio?). I would not buy a car with out Bose. Also my wife can not listen to radio (or TV) without a Bose speaker as she can not understand what they are saying otherwise. Her hearing was affected when she was knocked down by a truck and hit her head on a speed bump and had blood coming out of her ears. She since needs very clear sound to make any sense out of what she is hearing. As far as backing out, parking etc. I have no problem looking around to see if I'm clear (on a Gen1, no experience on the Gen 2 as I used park assist) but I can't change my ears.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OP, have you bought one yet? The MA mor-ev rebate has run out and now it says -1%.
OP, have you bought one yet? The MA mor-ev rebate has run out and now it says -1%.
So I ended up buying a 2018 LT Kinetic Blue with the comfort and Driver Confidence package based on feedback from this post and the fact the Bose system wasn't THAT great. Also, my wife who's 5'2" will be driving my car and I thought the extra features might help her with the blind spots.

Regarding the MA rebate, I've been in touch with the program and they have stated the program will get refunded in September. Actually... As I just typed that I looked at the pie chart and looks like it has already been refunded. It's now showing almost $2 million remaining in funding.

·
Registered
294 Posts
So I ended up buying a 2018 LT Kinetic Blue with the comfort and Driver Confidence package based on feedback from this post and the fact the Bose system wasn't THAT great. Also, my wife who's 5'2" will be driving my car and I thought the extra features might help her with the blind spots.

Regarding the MA rebate, I've been in touch with the program and they have stated the program will get refunded in September. Actually... As I just typed that I looked at the pie chart and looks like it has already been refunded. It's now showing almost $2 million remaining in funding.
Oh nice. congrats. good to see the funding is back up again.

·
Banned
154 Posts
Driver confidence for sure. Consider a CPO Premiere and get it all for less.

....the Bose is "not worth it." Yes, there is more bass with the Bose, but it's a boomy bass and the system is not particularly clear. The soundstage is actually narrow and disappointing, in my book. It is worse than the Gen 1 Bose, which I had. You would be better off upgrading the tweeters and speakers in the stock system rather than overpay for a muddy boomy bass.
Disconnect the center speaker and the sound stage will improve dramatically. As will the sound of the whole system.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Disconnect the center speaker and the sound stage will improve dramatically. As will the sound of the whole system.
Interesting idea. Glad you brought it up. How did you disconnect it?

·
Banned
154 Posts
Interesting idea. Glad you brought it up. How did you disconnect it?

Gently pry or pull up on the v-shaped panel behind the info-tainment screen. The center speaker in attached under there with two 7mm screws. Unfortunely the speaker has to detached to reach the wiring connector lock tab. Unplug the speaker and put it back, or leave it out. Snap the panel back down.

Huge difference in stereo soundstage. Overall sound and tone adjustability improves too. Cured my headaches and sinus aches.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Thanks for the tip! Hope that middle speaker is the source of much of the chimes and bongs of this car, too.

·
Registered
2018 Volt Premier
82 Posts
I was thinking the centre speaker was a sub-woofer? (Certainly I could be way off).

I lowered the bass in the settings and I think it sounds better. I didn’t see a separate adjustment for sub-woofers (assuming it has some, which I don’t know for certain, but most seem to anymore).

Mark

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a 2017 Volt with the Bose stereo and upgraded tweeters. I tried putting an old mouse pad over the center speaker on the dash to see what it sounded like without it. I prefer the sound with the center speaker.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts