GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've read somewhere (here? I forget) that the OEM LRR tires make a difference of ~10-15% efficiency compared to normal tires. But I've also read that the trade-off is in the form of almost no road grip, e.g., tires chirping when hard-accelerating from a stop in even ideal conditions. My hypothetical is: would changing to normal tires improve a Volt's performance? Has anyone done this and documented the results of a 0-60?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Can't fully answer your question as I've never run a timed 0-60 nor do I have extensive experience with different tires.

However I can say that I recently replaced my original factory LRR's (with about 45k miles on them) with used but good condition winter tires (don't ask), and the performance difference in my experience is not significant. Tires still chirp when goosing the accelerator from a stop, and they still screech when pulling some Gs around corners. Maybe a slightly more solid/planted feel to them, but not enough to warrant upgrading (for my purposes anyhow).

The range hit on the other hand is quite pronounced, and I'd agree with the 10-15% figure. Also the road noise is significantly increased, and very noticeable particularly at highway speeds, often being much louder than the wind noise.

YMMV of course (literally), and I realize winter tires may not be even remotely similar to any tires you're considering… but I for one was surprised how minimal the difference in performance was and thought it may be relevant to your question. Hopefully others with more (and more relevant) experience will chime in soon.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Have LRR tires from another manufacturer. There is no standard for efficiency gained or lost for LRR tires, unfortunately.

What I have found is that road noise is greatly decreased, stability in turns and low traction is significantly better, and my range hit is around 10% currently but will improve as tires age.

I haven't noticed an acceleration difference 0-60 as I didn't spin tires previously, but the difference in turns or rain is pronounced.

Non-LRR tires can do even better, obviously, but I'm pretty happy with the Conti's.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I bought Michelin X-Ice a couple of weeks ago. The ride is superior. I anticipate traction on snow and ice to be superior. Either go for safety or go for mileage. I prefer safety.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Gen 2 Volt has been on the road for less than a year. Not many have worn out a set of tires on a 2016. Complaints were mostly about LRR tires on Gen 1 Volts. Gen 1 were Goodyears. Gen 2 are Michelins.
Be the first to get a set of high performance tires and let us know!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I swapped out the OEM Michelin Energy tires on my 2017 Volt and installed a set of Michelin Premiers. Very noticeable difference between the two, the Premiers have much better dry/wet traction and ride smoother/quieter on the road (Didn't do any 0-60 tests though).

I was getting on average about 53 EV miles on the dash when I had the Energy tires and now I'm getting about 50-51 EV miles with the Premiers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts