GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
mine is typically around 9.8, but I do it so rarely I don't even check most of the time.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
My lowest was 9.6 kWh. I'm usually at 9.8 - 9.9 and now rarely see 10.0, 10.1, or 10.2, although my electric range seems to be as good as the day I bought it (early model 2012 - 16 kW batt.).

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
The display will vary and because of the way it is calculated (not measured) it shouldn't really be used as a reliable method of performance comparison between cars.

WOT

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I think I saw Plug1n's last update on his 70 mile EV drive had around 9.6 kWh. That's generally the lowest I have seen. I imagine only early 2012 volts will be near this range
I never run mine down completely, but I would say I usually get 9.8 or 9.9 out of mine. That 70.7 mile test I was continuing (4 hours or so on one charge) and the point at which each bar dropped continue to degrade.

On a side note. I noticed that after my Volt is parked for a few hours, that the point at which each bar drops ticks upwards by 0.1 or 0.2.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I'm never higher than 9.4 and more often usually around 9.1/9.2, with lots of grade changes and regen.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I'm never higher than 9.4 and more often usually around 9.1/9.2, with lots of grade changes and regen.
Wow! What kind of AE miles to you normally get?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Right now about 42-44 at 65 mph on my daily 97 mile RT commute through the mountains of western washington.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Right now about 42-44 at 65 mph on my daily 97 mile RT commute through the mountains of western washington.
OK, well that seems pretty good to me...I guess we don't need to concern ourselves with low "kWh Used" numbers?

·
Registered
165 Posts
That's what I have concluded and I recall WOP stating that regen lowers used kWh's and I regen a lot down the big "hills":)

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Well I've never had a kWh used above 5.0

Then again I have a 2011 with no meter. .so really I've have never had a kWh used displayed at all.
At lease you guys get releative measurements from your car.. I have use a OBD2 device.

·
Registered
38 Posts
What is the lowest kWh used that any one has seen on their volt after depleting from a full charge. Has anyone seen anything less than 9.6 kWh before the engine came on?
At the risk of seeming dense: Is it better or worse to have used a lower number of kwh s before the full charge is depleted?

We have consistently averaged 40 miles for almost 16 months. I think we used to see 10.6 kwh used when depleted and now we tend to see lower figures. But what does it matter, except for the fact that we need less energy to recharge?

I'm not seeing the importance of this, so somebody help me out. The 40 mile average is consistent over time, so here's no apparent battery degradation. What, exactly is the concern?

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
The display will vary and because of the way it is calculated (not measured) it shouldn't really be used as a reliable method of performance comparison between cars.

WOT
Are you saying that the total energy that has been used that is displayed at the point where the car changes to CS mode is NOT a measured number? Can the energy used be less that that displayed? More? Under what conditions? Would you elaborate?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
At the risk of seeming dense: Is it better or worse to have used a lower number of kwh s before the full charge is depleted?

We have consistently averaged 40 miles for almost 16 months. I think we used to see 10.6 kwh used when depleted and now we tend to see lower figures. But what does it matter, except for the fact that we need less energy to recharge?

I'm not seeing the importance of this, so somebody help me out. The 40 mile average is consistent over time, so here's no apparent battery degradation. What, exactly is the concern?
Well, I would have preferred to see a consistent 10.2 kWh Used with my 16 kW battery and 10.7 kWh Used with your 16.5 kW battery. I was originally concerned that the lower values (9.8 kWh Used) for complete battery depletion showed that the battery was being depleted sooner than it had when the car was new. All these concerns are unfounded as my all electric range remains as good as the day I bought my Volt. Now, if we look at the miles traveled and divide them by the kWh used we see a lower energy usage per mile (better). We also would expect that we would need less electricity to recharge the Volt to a full battery. Unfortunately, I don't think we can say that any of those values are accurate, after all we can have our cake and eat it too. I guess the only real accurate way we can say anything about miles/kWh is by measuring the charge at the source (outlet) with appropriate device.

·
Registered
970 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
In my 2013, it most often shows 10.4 kwH used at the end of a full charge. But sometimes I get up to 10.7 used, and sometimes as little as 10.1 used.

I think one day recently I got only 10.1 kwH used, BUT had driven like 43 miles on it! while another day, I'd gotten like 10.6 kwH used, but only like 35 miles driven on it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts