GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I go to Lowe's this afternoon knowing that they have EV charging. Their charger showed up on one of the EV charging search sites (I forget which one). Anyway, when I get there, I pull out the cord and immediately said to myself, "WTF"??

Is this a "paddle charger" that I've heard about? What kind of vehicles are compatible with these chargers? It looks like it would be a little difficult to devise an adapter from this to J1772. ;)

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Here is a little history of those units...
http://www.evnut.com/charge_paddle_adapter.htm

As part of a phased conversion to a compact inductive charger paddle, some charging sites in California have been (and are being) converted to the new small paddle inductive (SPI) standard. The smaller paddle is a compromise standard agreed to by GM and Toyota several years ago. In order to allow owners of large paddle vehicles (older Toyota RAV4's as well as all EV1's, Chevrolet S-10 trucks, and Nissan Altras) to continue to use these sites, a paddle adapter is being distributed by SMUD to drivers in the affected areas. By the end of 2001, all public chargers should be converted to the "Gen 2+" paddle standard (should be, indeed!). Below is the instruction sheet provided with the charger paddle adapter (document scan provided by Tom Dowling).

1,214 Posts
...And We Thought All The Legacy EV Chargers Were Gone! In A Museum- Locally-

Wow! You Found An Old 90s' EVI, Antiquated Ev Charger Still Begging A Hook-Up!
Thought All The 8 Track Tape Type Old Charging Stations Eere Long Gone.

At any rate, had to buy $400.00 or so of tools. I have a charge card for Home Depo, Hmmm, no Ev Charging, not even a 110V. Lowes?, Naw, nothing...But, Manards, yup, there they were! Beautiful 110V/120V Outlets!

Know where I Spent My Money! "Plug In And I'll Stay!"

http://t.co/bsFpwH27hH

Best-

Thomas J. Thias

Sundance Chevrolet

@AmazingChevVolt

·
Registered
175 Posts
So I take it you didn't have to wait for another car to finish charging at that station?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Lowes shows EVSEs for sale on their site. You should have pointed out to someone that they could update the charger with
something that they sell. This would allow people to try them out as well. Of course, you would probably have to let someone
there know that they already have one on property.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
You have to wonder why they would even put a paddle charger on the map?!

·
Registered
926 Posts
You have to wonder why they would even put a paddle charger on the map?!
Because there are still Gen 1 Rav4's on the road? The good maps let you select what type of plug you are looking for, try unselecting SPI.

Our local Water District has a huge solar installation that's been online for almost 15 years, and it had some of the most pristine J-1772-2001 charge stations I have ever seen under it, along with an SPI MagneCharger. The shade was like a preservative or something, the cables looked brand new even though the claws did show signs of use. When they replaced the three AvCons with the new J-1772 standard they left the SPI setup alone. It's SOP to swap out the old J-1772 for new, but leave the SPI intact since the cars that need them cannot easily be converted to J-1772 (they would basically have to carry the entire SPI EVSE in their car and convert the power input to a J-1772 input).

I see a RAV4 using the SPI over at Fry's once in a while (also the one remaining AvCon I know of is at Fry's), one of them still has the dealer sticker in the window...

·
Registered
114 Posts
Yup, the Fry's Electronics out here still have those ancient paddle chargers, wrapped in electrical tape. Funny that they installed those back when EVs were rare, but they don't swap them out in a time when their parking lot is full of Volts and Leafs. The staff roll their eyes when an EV driver comes in and mentions it, 'cos they've heard it a million times.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts