GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Valance Panel - Chevrolet Volt (20993998) replacement with photos

Had my 2013 Volt for over a year and have put @12k miles on it thus far.

The air deflector was getting worn & torn (too many curb checks) so I decided it was about time to get it replaced.

Decided to order a new air deflector from a Winston-Salem dealership. I could have gotten it from the local dealership as well but they wouldn't have shipped it to the house. Total damage for this replacement air deflector was $47 (w/shipping) and it arrived in less than a week after ordering.

Air deflector I received is the newer lower style that is about an inch shorter than the stock air deflector that came with my Volt and best part is no more annoying tabs that have to be constantly stuck back in. The new deflectors don't use tabs they just overlap but not insert into the center deflector.

Above is pic of the removed original air deflector and smaller replacement air deflector. 12 replacement screws were included in the box. There are actually 14 screws used and I had to reuse the 2 I removed from the old deflector. Keep in mind that 12 screws are of the smaller type whereas 2 screws I reused came from where the center deflector overlaps the left and right piece and are actually slightly longer than the other 12 screws.

The only tool used for replacement was a 9/32 (7mm) nut driver...

Now for the before and after pics!:

Before, old air deflector...

New deflector!:D

Entire job took me less than 1/2 hour although it would have been faster if I was able to jack the front of the Volt up a little higher. I did all the work on my back without a lift and it wasn't too bad but be warned that I got extremely dirty from the old air deflector. Guess after 1 year it accumulates a lot of grime. Hopefully the new shorter air deflector won't be nearly as worn in a year as my old one was. Even if it is, for less then $50 I may just swap it out again in a year or two if necessary since it was very easy to do myself!:cool:

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Very nice. I'm thinking that I'll let someone else do the install. You're a braver man than I.

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
Great tutorial, I'm on the fence about this mod but the more I think about the more I like it. The slight loss of range is probably only noticeable at freeway speeds while traveling on the battery, what that 35 to 40 miles max. Once the ICE kicks on I doubt you'll be able to measure any loss in GAS mileage as CS mode mileage is all over the board anyway.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Thanks for the tutorial and pics. I just did it and the hardest part is getting under the dam to unscrew the original, longer dam. It would've been a 15 min job if the car was on a lift.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
I had my dealer replace my stock air dam with the shorter one for FREE. I did not have to pay for the air dam. I did not have to pay for the labor. It was FREE. All I had to do was ask.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Nice post !!
I'll be doing this as soon as my original one buys the farm. I kind of know the problem spots in my area now, so it may take awhile.

Why is there a Hot Dog with lots of condiments on the parts tag????

·
Administrator
20,804 Posts
The Tesla Model S lowers the car at highway speeds to improve the under-body aerodynamics of the car. The Volt uses the long air dam to do the same, without lowering the body.

The Tesla approach seems to make the car more likely to hit road debris and cause a battery fire. The Volt approach results in the flexible plastic air dam scraping the pavement at times.

60,000 Volts on the road with no fires, 20,000 model S on the road and 3 fires. I think Chevy's long air dam approach is superior. I get all the benefit of superior ground effects for better MPG, at the price of some noise now and then.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I thought they were provided free with free dealer installation.
My dealer agreed to replace it at no charge but they said it was on their dime, not GM's. They billed it to the sale invoice for the car. Also had the back up camera module replaced without any drama.
One of the advantages of waiting to fill out the GM survey until you are sure everything is up to snuff.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
974 Posts
I see the ELR doesn't have the lower air damn in the pictures on insideEV. Maybe they are installed after they hit the dealer but the front looks like it's not designed for the lower air damn. I haven't noticed any range difference since I removed mine in August. I don't care for it's looks or scraping. Passengers would cringe and look at me like i just ripped the nose off...

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
sectime,

Let us know what is on your shipping label.

somms,

Thanks for almost answering the 'Hot Dog' question.

I wonder what comes on Cadillac shipping labels? a small jar of caviar, a filet mignon ???

·
Administrator
20,804 Posts
Nice pics and info, somms! I moved the thread to Accessories and Modifications, and Stuck the thread for those (not me) who want to replace their air dam.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts