GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

Just wondering if any of you blocked the air intake in the front of the car. Some prius owners do it for winter driving since it helps with air deflection and also keeps the engine bay warmer.

Thought it would help with the since the ICE sends heat to the cabin, it would not get cold as fast as it does.

Any thoughts? would the heat be harmful?

It would also help by blocking salt from entering.

Thanks!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was looking to add a coroplast piece on the air intake and maybe leave 10% open. AND only for winter. Montreal winter!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Conclusion of my testing with 1/2 " pipe insulation : 25-30% reduction in gaz consumption in erdtt mode ( 2,25 l/100km to 1,75 l/100km ). The ICE simply cycles less frequently, since it is a coolant setpoint that triggers the ICE. Testing was done on the same route every day, since i travel to work, and do 130 km per day.

No check engines, nada problems.

Removed the insulation when we hit 4-5 celcius. It still provided me with 4 months of usage since, as we all know, this winter has been hard.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.