GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experienced anything like this?

My low traction message is popping up once almost every single day on my way home from work in the exact same location. This happens regardless of whether I'm braking or not. I'm not turning particularly hard or even going more than about 25-35MPH at the time. I don't feel like there's any difference in traction or anything else physically different either so it's almost like the message is popping up independent of there being an actual condition... sort of like some stray RF signal is reaching a sensor or the ECU in the car and causing interference.

I'm not particularly concerned but I just thought I'd ask if anyone else has ever seen something strange like this.

Here's the location on a map if anyone is interested: http://goo.gl/maps/tEbGd

Thanks,
Stephen

2013 Summit White Volt
Safety packages 1 & 2,
17" Sport Wheels,
Gloss black vinyl wrapped roof,
White 3M DiNoc wrapped bow-tie emblems

·
Registered
216 Posts
I'll ask - is it a particularly Bumpy/rough section? The traction control and/or ABS will "trigger" repeatedly for Me (and others I've read about) on bumps. I have a spot I drive over every day that will do it - on a tight left/right corner, braking to make a 90° right turn onto a cross street, and its Bumpy (the town is clueless when it comes to highway maintenance, or repairs..). Take that set of corners with any speed at all where you need to actually Brake to make the final 90° turn and the ABS will jump in every time..

Now, that's the ABS, not the Traction Control, still..

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
HHere's the location on a map if anyone is interested: http://goo.gl/maps/tEbGd

Thanks,
Stephen
I would be interested to drive my Volt through that intersection and see if it does the same thing. Which way are you going when it trips? I go by there every couple of weeks and could pull off and play around next time I go through.

I could see a scenario where some kind of powerful magnetic interference could throw off a wheel speed sensor.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Google street view shows it's raining so, duh, you get a TC light! :)

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
OK seriously. I do see a pavement transition that might have something to do with it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It happens when I'm heading from Chelmsford Center toward North Chelmsford. Interestingly enough it doesn't do it in the opposite direction/lane.

I would be interested to drive my Volt through that intersection and see if it does the same thing. Which way are you going when it trips? I go by there every couple of weeks and could pull off and play around next time I go through.

I could see a scenario where some kind of powerful magnetic interference could throw off a wheel speed sensor.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's pretty smooth there overall so no major bumps or anything. There's a lot going on with the intersection pavement as far as on/off ramps from the highway joining in with the main road, a transition off of a bridge (over the highway), etc. Just nothing that I drive over and think that it was enough to warrant a message.

I'll ask - is it a particularly Bumpy/rough section? The traction control and/or ABS will "trigger" repeatedly for Me (and others I've read about) on bumps. I have a spot I drive over every day that will do it - on a tight left/right corner, braking to make a 90° right turn onto a cross street, and its Bumpy (the town is clueless when it comes to highway maintenance, or repairs..). Take that set of corners with any speed at all where you need to actually Brake to make the final 90° turn and the ABS will jump in every time..

Now, that's the ABS, not the Traction Control, still..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's an idea, I'll have to try that tomorrow if I get the message (it doesn't happen quite 100% of the time but more often than not).

Did you ask OnStar to check for codes?

·
Registered
500 Posts
I haven't had that message repeat in the same spot. But, wow, I've watched the Chelmsford 4th July parade at the intersection with Dalton Rd for 30 years. My uncle lived near there for a long time on Lantern Lane. Just 2 weeks ago I ran down Dalton and thru those intersections with my cousin getting ready for a road race. I don't remember anything unusual at the time but next time I go by will be sure to check it out carefully. The video shows a little of the intersection with Dalton Rd.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts