GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read the other messages on the Forum regarding Low Traction and they may be relevant, but what I experience is different. I know this is evidence of the ABS system engaging, but it shouldn't be.

I've noticed that sometimes, while lightly braking in a slight right turn or while changing lanes, I get the 'Low Traction' warning message and an unsettling brake feel where it seems like I am losing brakes for a moment. This is on good roads, dry conditions, even pavement, no loose gravel, etc. There seems to be no reason this should be happening and I have never seen it when braking straight or turning left.

My dealer thought it might be uneven tire pressure, so he set all tires the same and reset the tire pressure sensors. It still happens.

Has anyone else seen this or do you have any ideas of what I can try to isolate/fix it?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have experienced that in my GMC Yukon. There is one spot locally where it happens nearly every time. It's also a slight right turn, light braking as I turn the bend. Feels like brakes are going, wheels slipping and "Stabilitrak" comes active. Never did figure out the cause...but doesn't sound like a unique Volt issue. My Volt doesn't do it in that same place.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Sounds similar to what happens with a lot of regenerative braking-equipped vehicles when slowing down over railroad tracks (I believe a google search would turn up at least a few Prius owners discussing this phenomenon).

I've also noticed the same thing you've described happening at times in my Volt when I'm turning or slowing while driving over manhole covers. It seems like any slick, metal surface can cause one or more wheels to slip when braking on it, causing the traction control system to reduce power (but also apparently causing the brakes to feel like they've stopped working for a second).

Not sure if that's the same thing or not, but it does sound similar to what you've described.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I only seem to experience this when I hit a chuckhole while slightly braking.

If it is doing it where there is no actual bump, or hole to cause lack of traction, it may need to be checked. (the right front wheel speed sensor may be faulty, if it only does it turning to the right) Just guessing on this, don't quote me... :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thats my experience as well, i get this over a small bump/depression - and while it seems related to turning - its probably b/c thats when i am braking and hit some rougher road.

3,605 Posts
@ [email protected],

Sorry to hear about this. I would recommend taking it back to the dealer, but give us a call first and let us set everything up and we will make sure our technical team gets involved. They will work together with your dealer and hopefully we can get this resolved for you.

·
Registered
93 Posts
It happened to me three times so far. In each case I was in "L". The first time it was a manhole cover and it was raining. The other times it was a slight but sharp bump. It is only with the last time that I noticed the low traction message on the dashboard display. I was applying moderate braking each time.

I have been in a bit of denial about this problem and have been hoping that it wouldn't happen again. Now I see a thread that is talking about the problem so I'm going to monitor it for a while.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts