GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
curious how many others have experienced this. i had a very low stop sign front end impact, less then two miles an hour that resulted in a radiator puncture or failure and over 2000 dollars of damage! not even a scratch on the Toyata Camry rear bumper. made me feel like the Volt is made out of toy level plastic.
design flaw revealed that something can be pushed into front radiator so easily! how did they let this go by?

·
8,680 Posts
Pictures?

We've had a few folks here comment that they were impressed at how well their Volt did in low speed impacts. The charger is right under the bumper on the passenger corner, but there's lots of space between the grille and radiators, so I'm surprised to hear this.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
The thing about modern bumpers is they're plastic. They tend to pop right back out if they get hit. I was rear ended in my previous car, and from the outside, everything looked fine. There is an impact absorber behind the bumper that gets crushed, and that was trashed, but the outside looked just fine.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
Since it's a first post - it would be nice to provide pictures and perhaps some information on the dealership who is helping with the repair.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Killed a deer with mine the other day - front plastic fascia separated from the metal fender - put tab back in slot, done, didn't even take strong fingers. Still have a deer fur "eyelash" on my left front headlight where some skin got jammed into the slot below the light lens, and it looks like letting it rot a bit before picking it out with dental tools is how that's going to be fixed. No damage other than to the deer. So I guess it depends...like always...but I'm pretty happy myself, and so is the guy who came running out of his home to help after hearing the screech and thud - he needed the deer meat.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
curious how many others have experienced this. i had a very low stop sign front end impact, less then two miles an hour that resulted in a radiator puncture or failure and over 2000 dollars of damage! not even a scratch on the Toyata Camry rear bumper. made me feel like the Volt is made out of toy level plastic.
design flaw revealed that something can be pushed into front radiator so easily! how did they let this go by?
I was recently rear-ended on the highway (freeway for those of you out on the west coast). An older model Toyota Corolla hit me while I was stopped (~15 mph), another car him and he banged me once again (~5 mph). I needed a new rear bumper cover (upper & lower), rear back-up light/lense and an internal plastic bracket. I think the final cost was about $1,800 and 1 week in the shop (had to wait 2 days for the internal bracket as it was not part of the original order.

·
Administrator
20,019 Posts
We had one member hit a deer hard enough to kill it and embed fur in the Volt's head light trim. No damage to the car. I suspect you were going faster than 2 mph. Likely much faster. Or, there is more to the story.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Killed a deer with mine the other day - front plastic fascia separated from the metal fender - put tab back in slot, done, didn't even take strong fingers. Still have a deer fur "eyelash" on my left front headlight where some skin got jammed into the slot below the light lens, and it looks like letting it rot a bit before picking it out with dental tools is how that's going to be fixed. No damage other than to the deer. So I guess it depends...like always...but I'm pretty happy myself, and so is the guy who came running out of his home to help after hearing the screech and thud - he needed the deer meat.
I have hit deer before with my truck and had to replace my grille and it did even phase the deer. How on earth do you kill it and sustain so little damage?

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
The service guy here warned me that the Volt can be expensive to repair in front end collisions. The radiator assembly is big, expensive, and prone to damage. Look at page 116 of Edsall's book showing the radiator and the bumper reinforcement during assembly.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Alex, you're not the first to report this. I remember reading a post last year from someone who had a rock thrown up from the road into their radiator, and it resulted in similar damage. I would try complaining to your Volt Advisor if this is not covered under warranty. I hope this doesn't taint your overall impression of your Volt. Hopefully the next gen Volt will have a more robust radiator cover. Good luck!

·
8,680 Posts
Alex, you're not the first to report this. I remember reading a post last year from someone who had a rock thrown up from the road into their radiator, and it resulted in similar damage. I would try complaining to your Volt Advisor if this is not covered under warranty. I hope this doesn't taint your overall impression of your Volt. Hopefully the next gen Volt will have a more robust radiator cover. Good luck!
I don't see the two as at all related. Last year's case was a rock that slipped up from below and somehow induced a leak - most of the damage (and cost) was because the car didn't have a coolant level sensor (installed in the battery retrofit,) and the battery overheated (GM eventually picked it up under warranty/goodwill.)

This case should have been more like the other front impacts we've seen - there's no way that 2 mph should have caused the damage reported - which is why I want to see pictures.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I hit a dog during the first week of owning my car. I was able to slow down quite a bit before hitting it. The dog made it out fine just continued walking across the street. My car on the other hand had a cracked bumper/foglight.

·
Administrator
20,019 Posts
there's no way that 2 mph should have caused the damage reported - which is why I want to see pictures.
The OP said LESS than 2 mph. I too, am a skeptic on that claim. There must be more to this than they are saying.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Hmmm. Op has one post 6 hours ago, nothing else...

·
Administrator
20,019 Posts
"the average human walking speed is about 5.0 kilometres per hour (km/h), or about 3.1 miles per hour (mph)"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walking

So the OP is claiming they were driving something less than half the speed of a person walking.

At that speed, who has a fast enough reaction time to avoid impaling the car on a big metal spike sticking out of A) a wall? B) The ground? C) Mad Max's car wheels?

Yes, we need pictures!! No pictures, no sale.

·
Registered
761 Posts
In fairness, maybe he was going twenty, and hit the brakes hard, and the speedo showed 2 mph at the moment of impact.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I tboned a car slow speed in a parking lot (well feet slammed on the brake so by the time we hit it was slow, he said he didn't even feel it). Anyway, some scratches on the front bumper is all (I hope). Been a few months and haven't seen any other issues. I was impressed with how well the bumper held up.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Trolling trolling troling keep them doggies trolling trollhide. As sung to the theme from Rawhide.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts