GM Volt Forum banner

low propulsion

1253 Views 14 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  Debbie H.
In may of 2022 I had the hybrid module changed because of low propulsion and engine not available alerts. they replaced the hybrid module and now 6 months later I have the same problem. Car will charge to 25 ev miles. Car wants to run on ICE and when does, doesn't want to got over 30 mph. What can I do?

In may "Found: Vehicle arrived with multiple DTC stating various modules not communicating with HCM2. Vehicle would run on gas engine when this occurs and have messages on display regarding engine not available and reduced power. Replaced Hybrid control module, and programmed. Road tested and filled with fuel to check operation. Connected spare charger and charged hybrid battery and depleted battery to verify EV functionality."

HECM replacement and hybrid module (G) part 24291550-LNCH replaced at this time.

HELP? there is only 130,000 miles on the car. Took it to the dealership and they told me there was nothing wrong with the car. Please!! Any ideas? I'm running out of energy trying to get someone who can diagnose and actually fix this car!

Debbie
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
In may of 2022 I had the hybrid module changed because of low propulsion and engine not available alerts. they replaced the hybrid module and now 6 months later I have the same problem. Car will charge to 25 ev miles. Car wants to run on ICE and when does, doesn't want to got over 30 mph. What can I do?

In may "Found: Vehicle arrived with multiple DTC stating various modules not communicating with HCM2. Vehicle would run on gas engine when this occurs and have messages on display regarding engine not available and reduced power. Replaced Hybrid control module, and programmed. Road tested and filled with fuel to check operation. Connected spare charger and charged hybrid battery and depleted battery to verify EV functionality."

HECM replacement and hybrid module (G) part 24291550-LNCH replaced at this time.

HELP? there is only 130,000 miles on the car. Took it to the dealership and they told me there was nothing wrong with the car. Please!! Any ideas? I'm running out of energy trying to get someone who can diagnose and actually fix this car!

Debbie
I'm in Orange County California

· Registered
2015 Red Volt
2,291 Posts
Reactions: Debbie H.

· Administrator
23,437 Posts
moved to Problems...

· Registered
927 Posts
Isn’t the “reduced propulsion “ message a reaction to low voltage detected in the HV battery? Or a certain battery cell which is much lower or out of spec compared to the other cells? What year is your Volt? Many of these 10 years old Volts are experiencing similar scenarios. Most important: Don’t shut the car off if it’s in reduced propulsion mode. Let it run until the message goes away.

· Super Moderator
2012 Std w Nav
5,370 Posts
Isn’t the “reduced propulsion “ message a reaction to low voltage detected in the HV battery? Or a certain battery cell which is much lower or out of spec compared to the other cells?
It can be. But there are multiple reasons that Propulsion Power Reduced (PPR) may pop up. It's the DTCs that tell what the reason is.

· Administrator
23,437 Posts

DTC's __ __ Codes?
Diagnostic Trouble Codes

· Registered
178 Posts
I would suspect the traction battery is getting weak. My 2012 with 99K miles is starting to go to gas under high demand, like going up a hill on the freeway, now that it is getting cooler. No messages and it goes back to battery once the load reduced. This is just happening near the beginning of a trip so far. For more than a year now, I have been getting Propulsion Power Reduced messages at times during the switch over from battery to gas.

· Administrator
23,437 Posts
DTC's do not display on screen but can be pulled by OnStar or a reader plugged into the OBD2 port or by a dealer. An autostore like Pep Boys, AutoZone, etc. may do the code read for free.

· Registered
3,883 Posts
I would put in MM mode every time you drive
tell you find out more information from the DTC codes or the dealer

this way you keep 3 to 4 bars on the battery power

charge the car when you can.

Reactions: caronjeff

· Registered
3,883 Posts
do the same test with it parked and and wait for a few bars of battery power charge

Reactions: Debbie H.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts