GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I frequently make a 100-mile-one-way trip to my second home in the mountains of Utah. There's almost a 2000-foot difference in elevation. This results in different mileage depending on which way I'm going. I became concerned that I wasn't getting the kind of mileage I was getting a year or so ago when I first got the car. I thought maybe there was something wrong with it. Coming back and losing elevation I would get in the high 80's mpg back then. Now it was down in the 60's. Then I realized that I had slowly began driving like a maniac. 80+ miles per hour on the freeway. Jack-rabbit starts. Yes, you can do that in a Volt. Everyone is driving faster because gas is so cheap. Also I suspect that driving in 'L' affects your mpg's. So lately I've tried driving 70 or under and driving in 'D' instead of 'L'. I set the cruise control at 70 and let people zoom past. Today my mileage was 83 mpg. It took a little over a gallon of gas. That's in the ballpark. I think I used to drive 65.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I thought the same thing about my 2012 vs. my 2014 . My consumption increased because I use to drive slower when there were many construction projects on the highways . Now , I have been driving around 65-70 instead of a 50 mph average due to the construction zones .

·
Registered
13,558 Posts
My mileage drop wasn't so subtle. I went from driving like a grandpa trying to eek out ever mile t0 adding 18" wheels at the 2 year anniversary and driving 70mph on the interstate. I still don't do jackrabbit starts unless I'm well within range, and with a 50 mile commute, that only happens with after dinner trips to the grocery store and weekends. My mileage number used to be in the 90's and creep up to 100 during the summers, now it is st 82. No matter, it still blows away any Prius (both off the line and in MPG)

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
It is fun to watch how fast the kWh used display rockets up during a 0-100 MPH test. ;)

80 MPH is going to be far worse than 60 or 70 MPH. Speed makes a difference, but in general I would rather drive to flow with traffic.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts