GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my 2014 Volt in for the 5 year "Drain and fill" engine, power electronics, and high voltage battery cooling systems service. Thankfully asked to be informed of the cost before the service was done... I was told it would be $700! I declined, went home, and called another dealer (even closer to my home) and was given a price of $300 (+ tax). I have an appointment there now! Just cannot figure out why it would be more than twice the price from one dealership to another in the same city?! I won't be going back to Love Chevrolet.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
The quoted time for battery only by the book is 5 hours plus the time for engine and electronic cooling systems. Not sure what book times are for that.

Locally I was quoted $186 on site for all three cooling systems and they said if it's more they will do them for $186. When I went back they only did the engine for $186 and the tech stopped at that not wanting to go further without authorization. I think total times are between 7 and 8 hours so if your labour rate is $100 the service should be around $700 plus coolant. If they are only charging you $300 how would you even know they are doing the whole job? They aren't going to let you stand around and watch them (insurance reasons).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Good point, Barry, but I don't think so as they asked if my car had been there before only after I said I wanted to make the appointment (and had the price quote). We'll see how they do with this first visit - at least they acted like they wanted my business. Whereas Love Chevrolet was so negative... said that I shouldn't be waiting for the service as it would take a long time, they couldn't get to it for a while, etc. - this after I had called yesterday morning for the appointment stating exactly what I needed and that I would be waiting for the car. Of course, they explained that by saying that the person I spoke with for the appointment is "new"!

Spyder, I read a thread about someone who got all three done in Asheville, NC for $215 and then a coupon made it even less. I don't think it takes that long to drain and fill (and purge the air) from the systems, but I just wasn't prepared to fork out $700 for about $70 worth of fluids to be replaced!

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Apparently it's what the book says for time according to GM. Seldom can you get a job done in less time unless you are cutting corners.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Spyder, I read a thread about someone who got all three done in Asheville, NC for $215 and then a coupon made it even less. I don't think it takes that long to drain and fill (and purge the air) from the systems, but I just wasn't prepared to fork out $700 for about $70 worth of fluids to be replaced!
I believe you're referencing this thread: https://gm-volt.com/forum/showthrea...or-shouldn-t-I/page6&highlight=coolant+coupon I believe it was like page 4 where TheBlueFlash mentioned the coupon for the low price of ~$200 price range, however on the linked page he even clarifies that the dealership actually admitted to only doing the engine flush, not all 3 (and admitted they have never actually done the battery/electronic coolant change for any previously serviced Volt).
(Relevant quotes below)

TheBlueFlash said:
I've got an appointment for my 2013 tomorrow morning for a coolant flush and fill. They have a coupon for $159 US for the service, I'm hoping that includes all three reservoirs. That price included up to 4 gallons of coolant. Will report back tomorrow.
TheBlueFlash said:
So I just got back from the dealer. DShields, you were absolutely correct (i apologize for my confusion), they only flushed and filled my engine coolant, they completely ignored the battery and power electronics tanks. They have in fact never done the battery or electronics coolant before, they only ever have replaced the engine coolant on Volts (OMG that's scary to think that there are folks out there that think the entire system was flushed and it wasn't.) They tried to tell me it wasn't necessary to do the battery or electronics coolant. Luckily I had my paper owner's manual in the glove box and I showed them that in fact, all 3 tanks must be flushed and filled at 5 years or 100k miles whichever comes first. They finally caved and are going to honor the coupon price of $159 so I go back on Friday to have the other two tanks flushed for no charge. I told them that they should change the coupon on their website to exclude Volts because right now, the only exclusion listed is for diesels. They agreed and will be changing the coupon terms asap. Looks like I got lucky and unfortunately my next coolant service will most likely be much more expensive.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You are absolutely correct, Sabuu. I see that now. However, I think I read that somewhere in the $300-$400 range is about average? Anyway, I am still not prepared to fork out $700 for this at this time (by the way, the dealership also quoted $100 to change the air filter... I think I will do that myself!).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update - took my Volt to Stivers Chevrolet (formerly Capitol Chevrolet) here in Columbia and had the drain and fill on all 3 systems completed... total cost $301.73. No, I did not watch them do this, but I have the invoice with it listed, so at least it should cover me under any warranty work.
By the way, I changed the wiper blades myself thanks to another thread on the forum, and it took less than 5 minutes and cost less than $33 for OEMs! Thanks to the posters for that helpful info!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts