GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for help regarding this issue. I have looked at other posts and don't think I have quite found the answer. Here is my problem... some times when the ICE starts there is a very loud vibration/grinding sound. Sounds like it is coming from front drivers area. It goes for about 5-10 seconds and then is gone. It only happens when the ICE runs for the first time on a drive, and it doesn't happen every time. I have searched the vehicle for suspects of what can be making this sound and the only thing I have found is the exhaust is very close to the frame in one spot ( see picture ), and perhaps this is vibrating when the engine starts and then as it heat up the position changes so it does not vibrate any more. Any suggestions... What does your vehicle look like...? does the exhaust touch the frame? IMG_20170714_111829.jpg

·
Administrator
19,980 Posts
Also while you have the hood open, look in the engine bay to see if you can tell where the noise is coming from.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why not test it? While you are watching the suspicious area, have a friend turn the car on and pop the hood to start the engine. You should be able to tell if that is the cause.
Thanks for the advice I have tried to find it by doing what you say, but it won't do it at idle... There must be a little load on the engine just after it starts. Is there any way to rev the engine with it parked?

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
On my 2013, you can rev the engine by pressing on the accelerator with the hood up.
Or any time the engine is on and car is in park, the hood just happens to turn on the engine :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts