GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello all!

I'm super new to the forum, just joined today. Getting right to it...my engine is loud. Whether it is on battery or the generator it sounds the same. There is no difference in sound between mountain or normal mode either. It is quiet until shifted into drive or the Low gear, noticed it about 5 days ago and the oil life is around 80%

Anything?

2013 Volt, 106000 miles.

·
Super Moderator
6,330 Posts
...my engine is loud. Whether it is on battery or the generator it sounds the same.
Can you explain what you mean by on the battery because the ICE should be off then.

·
1,027 Posts
If its all the time the car is "on", I'd think the coolant pump or something with the ac system. If your AC set to max mode or Eco? In max it can get much louder.

·
Registered
907 Posts
How much of a charge do you have?
Is the hood open? Loose?

J

·
0 Posts
My engine is super quiet. Yesterday I watched as the battery dropped to zero and the engine took over. I didn't hear or feel anything. Today I was playing with Mountain mode and THEN I could hear it. I think Mountain mode must run the engine at higher revs.

·
Administrator
20,428 Posts
How much of a charge do you have?
Is the hood open? Loose?
Good question. If the hood is not latched, the gas engine will run in service technician mode. The gas engine should NEVER be running when the car is driving under battery power (exceptions: Mountain Mode, or Winter below freezing temps).

·
Registered
417 Posts
What kind of noise? A recording would help,

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
My engine is super quiet. Yesterday I watched as the battery dropped to zero and the engine took over. I didn't hear or feel anything. Today I was playing with Mountain mode and THEN I could hear it. I think Mountain mode must run the engine at higher revs.
In short, It's Complicated, but yes, MM does seem to be more aggressive about gaining/maintaining a charge window than just running down to Charge Sustain state. But CS is never multiple kwh below target either. So whether it's ACTUALLY different or just manifests an otherwise never-seen condition of "normal behavior" isn't clear.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The "sound" the ice usually has on mountain, L gear, or driving with the AC full blast...is the sound I hear while driving on battery. I can feel vibrations through the gas pedal as well.

·
Administrator
20,428 Posts
The "sound" the ice usually has on mountain, L gear, or driving with the AC full blast...is the sound I hear while driving on battery. I can feel vibrations through the gas pedal as well.
I suspect there is an issue with your hood latch. The car thinks your hood is unlatched. In that scenario, when the car is powered on, the car turns the gas engine on. It's used by the service tech to have the engine run for diagnosis.

Try it. Start the car, pop the hood. The gas engine will run.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Hopefully this'll help, it unfortunately really didn't capture what I hear. It's actually somewhat hard to hear, but after trying to keep it constant around 45 mph, it's audible when I start to brake.

·
Registered
174 Posts

Hopefully this'll help, it unfortunately really didn't capture what I hear. It's actually somewhat hard to hear, but after trying to keep it constant around 45 mph, it's audible when I start to brake.
The sound decreases and increases with the speed of the car, probably a wheel bearing.

·
1,027 Posts
Well an easy way to determine if the engine is running

1) open up the energy info with the leaf and go to the stats and see if any gas has been burned.

2) after hearing it park, open the hood and see of the engine/exhaust is warm

·
Administrator
20,428 Posts
Well the gas engine is NOT running at low speeds. And the battery display does not get replaced by the gas gauge. So I'm saying it's not your gas engine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
***UPDATE***
After reading our posts, the car is now at the dealership.
1. The engine was warm when I opened the hood, but it's supposed to run with the hood open right?
2. The hood latch/hood was not the issue.
3. The tires are new-ish, they were installed December 2017; all four.
4. The mechanic did have any fault codes; but agrees the engine shouldn't be running while on battery. He thinks it's a "ground out".
Is that plausible? I don't want to be ripped off.

I have a loaner Cruze and it's quieter than my Volt......

·
Registered
174 Posts
***UPDATE***
After reading our posts, the car is now at the dealership.
1. The engine was warm when I opened the hood, but it's supposed to run with the hood open right?
2. The hood latch/hood was not the issue.
3. The tires are new-ish, they were installed December 2017; all four.
4. The mechanic did have any fault codes; but agrees the engine shouldn't be running while on battery. He thinks it's a "ground out".
Is that plausible? I don't want to be ripped off.

I have a loaner Cruze and it's quieter than my Volt......
He's trying to tell you it's the muffler bearing grounding out on the Hayme strap and he will fix it for many $

1 - 18 of 18 Posts